Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]

Author Topic: Can IP Profiles be 'fiddled' with?  (Read 23066 times)

kapt69

• Reg Member
Re: Can IP Profiles be 'fiddled' with?
« Reply #75 on: January 05, 2010, 08:05:26 AM »

7LM
Hi again.
Am using the 'lite' version of routerstats - so not sure if you can tweak it. Certainly haven't tried or done anything as far as I am aware!
- update - rang ISP - said IP profile down to 350. Within hours went up to 750 (OK not the 1000 I'd become used to . . . but)
I leave it to you guys/gals to ponder any significance???? Doesn't it take up to 5 days to recover - interesting it seems to manage it after a few hours following telephone calls.
Maybe it's me - paranoid again.
Regards
K

duckson

« Reply #76 on: January 05, 2010, 09:18:19 AM »

If your synced for a decent lenght of time way in excess of the IP Profile the IP Profile should go up quicker.

Sorry havent checked your thread fully but what rotuer are you on? If its a Netgear i'd use the full Routerstats program as it gives more options.
Cheers, Stu
Asus RT-AC68U (Merlin Fork 3.74 Update 5)
Netgear DG834GT (DGTeam firmware, modem mode)
XILO LLU

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #77 on: January 05, 2010, 10:37:55 AM »

Am using the 'lite' version of routerstats - so not sure if you can tweak it. Certainly haven't tried or done anything as far as I am aware!

In that case I'm at a loss to explain how you ended up with what appears to be a 19dB effective target margin.   Providing you're running with standard router firmware (not DGteam, or the like), then a power-off reset would clear any margin-tweak so you may want to give that a try, then see what the margin and connection speed look like afterwards?

Do it just once, and leave it off for several minutes before powering on again, otherwise BT's line management system (DLM) may think your line's become unstable and make matters worse.

kapt69

• Reg Member
« Reply #78 on: January 05, 2010, 11:33:32 AM »

7LM
Straight-out-of-box (2 or 3 years ago) would not know how to alter firmware -
Providing you're running with standard router firmware (not DGteam, or the like)
Will give your suggestion a try and report back.
Really grateful for advice - gets frustrating just monitoring - good to do something. Keeping everything crossed! ::)
K

kapt69

• Reg Member
« Reply #79 on: January 05, 2010, 01:26:45 PM »

OK
Turned router off for approx. 90mins.
Now Noise margin approx 11db (down from 15+) and connection speed 1376 kbps (up from approx 1050kbps).
Download speed 698kbs - still much the same :( :(
IP profile still 750 on BT speedtest. >:(
(By the way - is there any other way of checking IP profile other than going through the BT test?)
Does this tell you/me/us/anybody anything?

jeffbb

• Kitizen
« Reply #80 on: January 05, 2010, 01:41:29 PM »

Hi

It would be helpful to see full stats as this will give a full picture of your present line condition.
Regards Jeff
zen user

kapt69

• Reg Member
« Reply #81 on: January 05, 2010, 01:57:01 PM »

Hi Jeff
Hope this is what is needed.

[attachment deleted by admin]

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #82 on: January 05, 2010, 03:01:16 PM »

750kbps is the IP profile you'd expect at your previous connection speed (1050).  You're current speed of 1376 should get you a profile of 1000kbps, given time.   But you probably already know all that by now.   :)

I can't see that .doc  properly as I'm trying to render it on a Mac at the moment, which does display .docs, but the text is garbled.  But among the garbled text I can see it does seem to indicate your 'new' target margin is 12dB. 

I'm still mystified as to why your previous snapshot seemed to show a connection at a margin of initially 19dB.  Additionally, a margin reduction usually equates to a speed improvement of something like 600kbps (though it can vary a lot)  for each 3dB.  Your margin dropped from 19 to 12, with only about 300kbps improvement which, even allowing for variances in the maths, also seems odd.   Maybe the router had got a bit confused and the power-off fixed it, but I've not heard of such a thing happening before.  I'd ignore it, if it were me, unless it happens again.

BT's DLM aims for a 'best case' margin of 6dB, and that's what everybody gets when they first take the service, but DLM then adjusts the margin to suit line characteristics - error rates, losses of sync, etc.  You are on a long line and I think you'll find that 12dB is not unusual under the circumstances, and doesn't really indicate any major problems - other than the problem of line length.   In theory, DLM may reduce the margin in future in steps of 3dB, if your line proves stable enough, but that can take an awfully long time and may never happen at all so don't hold your breath.

If you want to try and 'do something' you could follow the guidance on the website for testing from the master socket with extensions disconnected.  If that makes a big difference, you can then try and improve your wiring - disconnecting the 'ring wire' is the usual thing that helps the most.  It can make quite a dramatic difference so is worth a try.

jeffbb

• Kitizen
« Reply #83 on: January 05, 2010, 04:14:21 PM »

Hi
Not really enough info that is just the basic netgear page .It does not show the errors etc .
I take it you are still only using RS lite . The full RS gives much more info .
However looking at the stats you have seem OK for your line attenuation.

Regards Jeff

zen user

kapt69

• Reg Member
« Reply #84 on: January 06, 2010, 09:42:05 AM »

Jeff
Thanks for the advice - have now switched over to full routerstats.
(Now ready for the next IP profile crash) 8)
Cheers
K
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]