Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: ADSL2+ 21CN dropping sync  (Read 3027 times)

HoTwHip

• Just arrived
ADSL2+ 21CN dropping sync
« on: December 30, 2009, 09:21:29 PM »

Hi all

I live in a flat and since February I have been enjoying a stable ‘up to 8mb’ ADSL connection which provided consistent 8128k sync and 6.7mb downloads.

In early December I was getting sporadic speed and connection drops for a few days – I contacted my ISP (Fast) who mentioned that my local exchange was being upgraded to 21CN ADSL2+ and that this could be the cause of my symptoms. The upgrade was due for completion 10th December so as I would potentially benefit from the upgrade I wasn’t too fussed about minor interim issues.

So in the late hours of 10th December I logged into my router and was delighted to see it sync’d at 14,500k. However over the next couple of days the sync rate kept dropping until it finally went back down to what I was getting on regular ADSL. During this time I also had to reboot the router as there were times when my connection was being lost completely and this was the only way I could get it to reconnect.

Over the past week or so and with advice from Fast, I have updated my Netgear router firmware and tried other phone sockets however I still couldn’t achieve a consistent sync above ~8,200kpbs.

My ISP mentioned that some Netgear routers had issues with ADSL2+ due to the chipset used and given my DG834Gv2 was about 5 years old I bit the bullet and last night got a new router – a Belkin ADSL2+ model.

I plugged the new router in last night and it sync’d at 9,500kbps with downstream noise margin of 13db – I was disappointed however my ISP said early signs and stats seemed good and that things should improve further although it may take at least two weeks to see the full potential.

Having checked my router this morning however the sync had dropped to 6,200k with downstream noise margin at 17db?!

So despite my IPS’s optimism my gut feeling now is that I’m not destined for anything higher than before the 21CN upgrade. This surprises me given that I was getting good results on my old connection and am only 1.4km from my exchange. 

Any thoughts? I don’t have any Xmas lights plugged in. My BT IP profile is following suit of my routers sync speeds…rain has been randomly heavy during the past few days

Points to note were that my DG834 was *seemingly* not 100% compatible with ADSL2+ so did this bugger things up during my switch over period?

GunJack

• Reg Member
Re: ADSL2+ 21CN dropping sync
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2009, 11:01:15 PM »

looks like you've got a good response from fast over on dslzone :)
8)..........Gettin' There, Wherever There is..........8)

HoTwHip

• Just arrived
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2009, 03:15:55 AM »

Yes mate, will see what happens.....small world  :)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2009, 03:31:28 PM »

The loss in speed will likely be related to the increase in your SNRM.   Each 3dB of SNRM can mean an average of anything between 400- 1200 kbps depending upon bit loading at certain frequencies in use.

The more your router reboots/resyncs then this causes the DLM to recognise instability and it will therefore gradually increase the target SNR(M) in an attempt to stabilise the line.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

risk_reversal

• Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2010, 10:46:14 AM »

HoTwHip, I read your post over at dslzone. I too was with Fast and acted in the same manner as you did ie migrated away to an LLU supplier.

I was getting similar issues to yourself. In my case, the bottom line issue with 21CN was that the new ADSL2+ dslams at my exchange appeared to contain huawei infineon chipsets (my understanding is that the majority of exchanges use Fujitsu dslams). In part this caused issues with the broadcom chipset routers which I had.

Given that my isp were unable to fix the issue, my conclusion was "what good excellent support if the product [IPStream] is poor" so I left.

Good Luck with Be

anything