Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: ADSL wireless  (Read 4108 times)

Belz

ADSL wireless
« on: January 02, 2009, 04:10:58 PM »

I have a Netgear Wireless G Router DG834G.  Been using it for a while and now we are getting a Belkin router which seems to be broadcasting on all of the 13 channels we have to pick from.  I keep moving channels and the Belkin follows. 

I have one hard wired connection and 2 wireless and all 3 machines lose speed when the Belkin shows up.  I have a number that he broadcasts on. 

What can I do about this (except for hardwiring all my computers).  Is there a reporting agency?

I do not think he is getting on our wireless connection because I have nominated the codes that may used my connection and also run a program called Air Snare which would tell us if any unfriendly is on.

I am just not sure what to do about this.  Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: ADSL wireless
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2009, 04:35:44 PM »

Sorry can I just clarify -  is the Belkin  a 'neighbouring' router that seems to be broadcasting on to your connection?

Your networked PC should not be picking up this signal to cause it to loose speed - unless its something like the other router which is faulty and causing your own SNRM to decrease.  Another possibility is that its something like his monitor which could be faulty which is turned on at the same time as his router.

You need to ensure that your own wireless connections are not accidentally connecting to his router - set the preferences under wireless connection properties on each PC/laptop to make sure that the lappys connect to your own netgear first.

Also check and see if it is your SNRM thats starts going haywire when his router/PC boots up.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

Belz

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2009, 05:31:42 PM »

It must be a neighbourhood router.  What I cant understand is why, when we change channels i.e. from 11 to 5 or to 1, he follows within a short period.

I do not know what an SNRM is but looking it up.  We are definitely connected to  the Netgear and not on the Belkin. 

It does not always interfere with our speed, only sometimes.  We have no other problems.  If Belkin is not on, we are trouble free.

Belz

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2009, 05:40:56 PM »

OK, I know you mean the noise margin.   I will check on it and let you know if there is something amiss.

Thanks for your help.  I just dont know whether to worry about it or not.  He is listed on my wireless right now as I type.

I must be something to do with XP and the way it picks up any connection that it can find.  I am wondering if anyone else has a list of routers on their Network connections when they click on the connection icon in the taskbar.

Ezzer

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2009, 05:57:22 PM »

The best way of locating the offending router is if you have a laptop try the connectivity strenght from various locations around your neighbour hood, might give you a rough picture of where the epicentre is.

That is assuming the belkin your connecting to has the same ssid, and so is the one router.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2009, 06:05:10 PM »

>> I am wondering if anyone else has a list of routers on their Network connections when they click on the connection icon in the taskbar.

I quite often see nighbouring connections, but from advanced properties you should be able to state your preferences/ order in which you connect.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

Belz

« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2009, 06:44:42 PM »

We do go into "advance" and select the Netgear router to make sure we are on our own connection. 

I have read that Belkin are very powerful and their signal goes a long way (Netgear have strong signals too). 

I am not understanding why changing channels is not getting rid of the Belkin?  Is he, in fact, following us around?

If so, what for?  He cant get into our network without us knowing.

orainsear

• Reg Member
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2009, 12:27:18 AM »

You will be able to see the Belkin signal irrespective of the frequency channel that has been selected for it to operate on.  Are you saying that as soon as you change channel from e.g. 11 to 1 that the Belkin changes channel from 11 to 1?  How are you determining which channel the Belkin is broadcasting on?

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2009, 08:54:02 AM »

I keep moving channels and the Belkin follows. 
Wireless networks just don't work that way; what information is making you think this?

Ezzer

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2009, 02:50:58 PM »

I can't remember where but you can pull up on windows a list of any routers/ssid's which your commputer will/has connected to. you should find the offending belkin and delete it off the list so you computer should ignore it unless you ask to contact it and go for any alternate on the list it can see.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2009, 08:01:53 PM »

I am not understanding why changing channels is not getting rid of the Belkin?  Is he, in fact, following us around?

No its not following you around, its simply broadcasting to any wireless adapter 'I'm here you can connect to me'. It will broadcast on all channels to anyone that is within range.
Just right now I can see both a neighbouring Netgear and a neighbouring skybox that are  broadcasting their availability.  However I wouldnt actually be able to connect to either of those networks since they are both locked using WPA unless I knew the login.
All wireless network cards will let you scan to see what wireless networks are available, but you cant actually connect unless you know the access details or its an open network.

As mentioned in my earlier post, if you go to the wireless properties you can set you preference of which network you connect to.

Its under
Wireless network connection >
Properties >
Wireless Networks Tab >
Preferred Networks.

You then add/remove/set the preference.

However, even when youve done this - you will still be able to see the Belkin if you click the View Wireless Networks Button, since theres nothing you can do to stop it broadcasting its availability each time its switched on.

all 3 machines lose speed when the Belkin shows up

This was the bit that was puzzling me, since if your own connection slows down when its switched on, then its far more likely that either

1. Your machines are perhaps connecting to his Belkin in preference to your own router or
2. Its possibly a faulty monitor that gets switched on at the same time which interfers with your SNR, which causes slower throughput.
-----

supercooper

« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2009, 11:52:27 AM »

Hi,

I work for a company that sends the 834G's out for fun. Never heard of the problem you are having however they can be very buggy indeed.

Try updating it to the latest firmware here: http://kbserver.netgear.com/release_notes/d103283.asp

I found that this seems to clear up most things on the ones i have experianced problems with, worth a try.

Chris