Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: connect speed  (Read 9475 times)

jeffbb

• Kitizen
connect speed
« on: November 13, 2008, 06:18:23 PM »

Hi
I have read much about connect speed and how people are concerned to get every last bit out of their line . To me it seems that it would be better to go for stability ,this does mean sacrificing some raw connection  speed . Does that matter for most people ?. In real life very often I have found that my DL speed is quite a bit less than my connect speed and at times it is way down from say 5Mbps to << 1Mbps during busy periods  :( . Unless the  lucky ones that can get downloads at near their connection speed then the search for max connection would seem pointless especially during busy periods(evenings), when the SNR margin drops increasing errors so  creating a further slowdown in actual DL speed , or am I missing the point ? ???
Regards 

edit  or is it just tiscali users have slow download speeds ?
« Last Edit: November 13, 2008, 06:25:32 PM by jeffbb »
zen user

Ezzer

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
Re: connect speed
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2008, 06:29:33 PM »

It's a fair point to a degree with a drop of a meg from a reasonable speed it most cases would be neither hear nor there and I would agree with you, although from 5 to <1mb isn't fair I would say. thats sounds stifleing.

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2008, 06:36:26 PM »

Obviously it depends what you use the connection for.
Personally it's mainly email (who cares how fast) a bit of browsing (faster is nicer but servers are usually slow) and BIG software downloads for installation (speed is vital). So personally I've pushed my link to the limit and get the occasional instability.  8)

Ezzer

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2008, 06:47:42 PM »

I like catching up on stuff with bbc I-player or watching old documentaries or fav' programs people have posted on you tube so about 2 megs is all I'll currently need.

Recently watched the BBC series The Planets and some episodes of The Assent of Man after being inspired by Dave.M's fantastic photos recently

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2008, 08:14:17 PM »

>> often I have found that my DL speed is quite a bit less than my connect speed and at times it is way down from say 5Mbps to << 1Mbps during busy periods

Thats more likely down to the ISP I'm afraid :/

I'm a bit of a speed freak and go for speed to a certain extent.. although saying that I could probably tweak my line and get a bit more out of it.  My SNR is fairly stable but right now Im just too plain lazy to reboot the router  and tweak the SNRM.  - Even at this time of night I could probably very easily get another 800 kbps and it would still be stable.

When I was on the 8Mbps product with my old ISP - I was lucky in that I had a consistant sync of 8128 so my throughput for most of the time was around 7Mbps for what I did.
Now - well Im not too fussed... when you download at around 20Mbps plus throughput ..................  ok I'll shut up now and go hide before you all lynch me. :-X

Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

jid

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2008, 08:49:12 PM »

ok I'll shut up now and go hide before you all lynch me.

:lol:
Kind Regards
Jamie

BT FTTP - 75meg | Sky Q |  Bridgend Weather

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2008, 12:19:58 AM »

. when you download at around 20Mbps plus throughput
"Useful when you need it" - Like the very old joke about the japanese factory robots (and male bits)

(still at over 21mbps  :blush: )

jeffbb

• Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2008, 01:24:31 PM »

Hi
what's the odd 10Mbits amongst friends    :sick: :lol:The point I was trying to make is that sometimes the effort required to get the odd 10 or 20 Kbps is hardly worth it if it is at the expense of stability , especially if you are with an ISP that has a lot of contention. I unfortunately have that problem . I will just have to put up with the contention until I can change my Isp. Patience is a virtue  seldom found in man and never  found in  xxxxx !!! oops
regards
Jeff
zen user

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2008, 02:22:48 PM »

>> the effort required to get the odd 10 or 20 Kbps is hardly worth it if it is at the expense of stability

Yes you are entirely correct, and you'd never really notice the difference.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2008, 02:34:01 PM »

Indeed - I've been sync'ed at 18636/1023kbps now for 41 days without the noise margin going below 6.3dB  :thumbs:

mr_chris

• Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2008, 12:58:07 PM »

rizla - that's impressive ;D
Chris

jeffbb

• Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2008, 01:15:07 PM »

Makes me green with envy.my best connection has been 7.1Mbps with a profile of 6Mbps ,then the best DL was 5.1Mbps . That was for 1 day only.The contention still dropped DL speed to <800Kbps in the evening. :(
Jeff
zen user

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2008, 01:52:52 PM »

I shant mention the sync I got earlier this morning then......  or maybe I will..   >:D

only because my upstream was the most Ive ever seen it and I didnt know such a figure was actually possible. 2,719 / 23,982.
Ive seen some weird figures today - all ending with odd numbers on both the upstream and downstream.
eg 23675, 23961 down and 2705 up.

(I had an electrician here this am so the power was going on and off anyhow).
-----

mr_chris

• Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2008, 01:55:45 PM »

My upstream has gone odd too... literally! 1,325 / 10,382

I can't remember offhand, but ever since I've been with Be, I thought the upstream sync was normally an even number. Like I say though, I can't remember if it was or wasn't!
Chris

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2008, 01:58:40 PM »

I've always wondered about the Upstream limits too, mines currently 1369 on Annex A and has been higher though never actually reached 1400.
Maybe different routers report it differently or use 1000 for k instead of 1024?
(downstream is "only" 21939kbps today)
Pages: [1] 2

anything