Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Sync light dropping on 3Com router  (Read 7911 times)

wez77

• Just arrived
Sync light dropping on 3Com router
« on: October 28, 2008, 11:27:11 PM »

Evening all,

Have this http://www.3com.com/products/en_US/detail.jsp?tab=features&pathtype=purchase&sku=3CRWDR101A-75 3com router located in spare room via pc and a secondary phone socket. PS3 is located in bedroom 25 feet away and connects wirelessly (can't go wired as it would mean cables trailing across landing). When on, PS3 finds router no probs.

Have been with TalkTalk broadband for 2 yrs and had router for the last year. Since i've had router online gaming on PS3 hasnt really been an issue. Can find and join games no problem. Our house is located (by using your ADSL Exchange and Line Checker  :) )2.69km (direct), 4.18km(by road) away from exchange so we get approx 1.7mbps. "Dropouts" occured usually twice a night

However past 3-4 weeks its been a nightmare. Particular games, I can join online, just not with certain friends (ie via friend invites on COD4), or when it comes to chatting whilst playing a game (Burnout Paradise) i can hear them, but they can hardly hear me, they get static and i keep breaking up. These have been fine in the past. "Dropouts" are now occuring more often  and when you're on a PS3 online, its pretty frustrating.

Whenever a speed goes up to 1.9 the above happens. When it goes below 1.6-1.7 the above happens. Sunday night for example the speed was between 1292-1498kbps. The sync light also went out (and gradually came back on) 6 times.

Have spoken to TT who say they can either give me 1.0 or 2.0mbps, nothing in between, despite another 2nd line Tech Support guy contradicting this around 3 months ago.
Any suggestions? Have tried resetting router, port forwarding and putting ps3 into dmz, but none help. Have ordered a couple of ADSL filters in the hope that they'll do something.

If you need more info about setup, please let me know and i'll post what i can.

Here some details at time of writing:

Stream Type Actual Data Rate
Up Stream 446 (Kbps.)
Down Stream 1598 (Kbps.)

Operation Data  Upstream  Downstream
Noise Margin             13 dB 9 dB
Attenuation               77 dB 61 dB

Any suggestions (not including change ISP though it is tempting  ;)) are welcome and thanks in advance for anyone who helps.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: Sync light dropping on 3Com router
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2008, 11:52:07 PM »

>> Attenuation               77 dB 61 dB

Thats your problem... youre on a very long line.

Higher speeds use higher frequencies which are more subsceptible to burst of noise and SNR fluctuations.  Some of the longer lines dont always work too well with max because of the huge fluctuations that may occur, and some ISPs transfer the line back to fixed rate.

>> 1.0 or 2.0mbps, nothing in between,

Thats correct - its either 1Mb or 2Mb fixed rate..... or the variable syncs of MAXdsl. :/

Have you tried plugging your router into the test socket behind the master socket to see if things are any better from there?

Theres a checklist of some suggestions and why this happens - Low SNR.
It also well worth seeing if you can improve your connection.

Have a read.. then please do get back to us if you have any questions
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

wez77

• Just arrived
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2008, 07:57:10 AM »

Thanks for the quick reply  :)

Have got this Sunday off, so will take PC and router downstairs and test the speed, noise and attenuation from the test socket. What I don't understand tho, is that, like i said, its only been the last 3-4 weeks where its been an issue. The previous 10 months have been ok.

jid

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2008, 08:02:08 AM »

It could be that a REIN issue that is causing the issue:-

http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/rein.htm
Kind Regards
Jamie

BT FTTP - 75meg | Sky Q |  Bridgend Weather

wez77

• Just arrived
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2008, 08:15:21 AM »

Cheerz, i'll look into that as well.

Have 2 filters coming at the weekend so i'll see if they also make a difference. At the moment, am using the 2 supplied by TT when we got our broadband installed.

These are the filters: http://www.ebuyer.com/product/39530. Yes, they're cheap, but they're worth a shot. Any recommendations on alternative "better" filters?

Thanks again  :)

jid

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2008, 08:21:39 AM »

Cheerz, i'll look into that as well.

Have 2 filters coming at the weekend so i'll see if they also make a difference. At the moment, am using the 2 supplied by TT when we got our broadband installed.

These are the filters: http://www.ebuyer.com/product/39530. Yes, they're cheap, but they're worth a shot. Any recommendations on alternative "better" filters?

Thanks again  :)

Something more like this:-
http://www.adslnation.com/products/xf-1e.php

also, have a read: http://www.adslnation.com/support/filters.php
Kind Regards
Jamie

wez77

• Just arrived
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2008, 08:29:55 AM »

Again, thanks  :D, i'm getting more response off here than other forums i've posted on.

Typical, last night, between 7pm and 11, line only dropped once. But then, even though i was online, i wasnt playing any online games. You'd assume that my line cant handle me playing online games (COD4, Burnout, Wipeout etc). Yet, I can drop into an online game of COD and have no problems, but when particular people invite me into their games, we cant play. Could it be something to do with their phone line?

Either way, i'm taking all on board that you've said and try and improve things my end at least.

jid

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2008, 08:49:19 AM »

Again, thanks  :D, i'm getting more response off here than other forums i've posted on.

Typical, last night, between 7pm and 11, line only dropped once. But then, even though i was online, i wasnt playing any online games. You'd assume that my line cant handle me playing online games (COD4, Burnout, Wipeout etc). Yet, I can drop into an online game of COD and have no problems, but when particular people invite me into their games, we cant play. Could it be something to do with their phone line?

Either way, i'm taking all on board that you've said and try and improve things my end at least.

I will be honest, the filters you have picked are cheepos, my neighbour once cam over and asked why her connection kept disconnecting when the phone rang, so I removed all the filter (similar to those) and problem solved, she now uses Speedtouch 413s as on the review page I gave, I too use them but cannot find where you can buy them :-\
Kind Regards
Jamie

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2008, 10:24:39 AM »

>> using the 2 supplied by TT when we got our broadband installed

Not trying to get your hopes up, because it may not be... but theres a post some where on these forums where someone replaced their TT supplied ones and it made quite a difference, Ive also seen similar mentioned on other forums too.

Installing routerstats to monitor your SNRM can also be a good  way to help identify when problems are occuring.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

wez77

• Just arrived
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2008, 01:35:30 PM »

>>Not trying to get your hopes up, because it may not be...

Don't worry, with TalkTalk I never get my hopes up  :D

wez77

• Just arrived
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2008, 01:47:27 PM »

I will be honest, the filters you have picked are cheepos, my neighbour once cam over and asked why her connection kept disconnecting when the phone rang, so I removed all the filter (similar to those) and problem solved, she now uses Speedtouch 413s as on the review page I gave, I too use them but cannot find where you can buy them :-\

had a look for those filters, i take it you mean: http://www.speedtouchonline.com/413_datasheet.asp?menuCurrPos=4.

jid

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2008, 02:09:31 PM »

had a look for those filters, i take it you mean: http://www.speedtouchonline.com/413_datasheet.asp?menuCurrPos=4.

Excellent, you can purchase them from Speedtouch!

Yes, swear by those filters, use them throughout the house:D
Kind Regards
Jamie

wez77

• Just arrived
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2008, 05:24:25 PM »

Yeah, the Speedtouch 413 were supplied by TT, they're what we are using now. Got new filters today, didnt make that much difference. Also tried plugging pc and router to 3 different sockets. Results below (using ST413 filter):

Study:
Speed Up/Down= 446/1583
SNR Up/Down=10/9
Attenuation Up/Down=77/62

Main Socket:
Speed Up/Down= 446/1613
SNR Up/Down=11/9
Attenuation Up/Down=77/62

Test Socket:
Speed Up/Down= 446/2219 (although after a min or so, the "online" light on router went out, i seem to get this whenever speed is too high)
SNR Up/Down=10/9
Attenuation Up/Down=77/61

Currently have PC and Router back upstairs with the new adsl filter:
Speed Up/Down= 446/1774
SNR Up/Down=11/9
Attenuation Up/Down=77/61

orainsear

• Reg Member
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2008, 05:56:02 PM »

Have you considered trying another router?  I haven't had any experience with 3Com routers but it may be struggling with your lengthy line.

wez77

• Just arrived
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2008, 06:03:44 PM »

Have you considered trying another router?  I haven't had any experience with 3Com routers but it may be struggling with your lengthy line.

I am at the moment. This one was recommended to me by a mate whose company swears by them. Like i said, never had any major issues before apart from the last 3-4 weeks. Thing is, you always read good and bad points about every router. Any suggestions?
Pages: [1] 2

anything