Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Retention of landline numbers by FTTP customers  (Read 3811 times)

bbnovice

• Reg Member
Retention of landline numbers by FTTP customers
« on: March 02, 2023, 05:59:41 PM »

Hi

This is a non expert persons query.

I am currently a BT customer with a 1Gb FTTP service. My "landline" was swapped to VOIP (automatically) when I migrated from the previous BT FTTC service. The copper connection seems to be dead. The landline number has always been with BT - it was ported from my previous address 22 years ago. 

I never use the landline number for outgoing calls but it is still used by a significant number of third parties for incoming calls. This is vital for my home business.

The BT FTTP service is becoming increasingly uneconomic and I would like to swap to a cheaper servive provider if possible. My BT contract comes up for renewal in a couple of months so this may be an opportunity to change service provider.

However I am cautious. What I have read regarding porting numbers (out to a new ISP) when you are a FTTP customer makes me nervous. Porting again for a second time (back to say BT or another ISP) appears to be difficult if not impossible. As I said earlier retention of the landline number is an absolute red line for my situation.

Can somebody explain (simply!) what the "rules" are for number porting for a FTTP customer or is that a too simplistic question?

Thanks 

« Last Edit: March 02, 2023, 06:01:57 PM by bbnovice »

tonygibbs16

Re: Retention of landline numbers by FTTP customers
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2023, 06:12:50 PM »

Hello,

There are some rules and migration journey documents at the Office of Telecommunications Adjudicator for All IP networks and Number Portability.

http://www.offta.org.uk/best-practice-guide

I have not read them all yet.

Kind regards,
     Tony

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2023, 12:12:05 AM »

Yeah its a bit of a mess, as it always has been if you have your number tied to your ISP.  Its why I have always kept it separate even though that was more expensive.

I actually use the "landline" more than I ever have before, as on AAISP VoIP its much cheaper than mobile PAYG, all calls are recorded and the sound quality is better which as I suffer from fullness in the ears particularly in Winter, I've had so much trouble hearing what people were saying on mobile.  I've never made enough calls for contracts to make sense.

I suspect the only safe way is to port the number first to an independent provider like AAISP, have a backup plan in case that ceases the FTTP contract.  Or get a new FTTP service first, then port the number and cease the old contract.  I just wouldn't trust any other way to keep the number.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

tonygibbs16

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2023, 04:12:43 PM »

Hello again,

2 points:

1. We are legally allowed to take numbers with us under Number Portability, see https://www.ofcom.org.uk/phones-telecoms-and-internet/information-for-industry/numbering/number-portability-info

2. It might take some days, but the process is supposed to be led by the Gaining Communications Provider (Gaining CP) acting on behalf of the consumer.
       - so it should be possible and CPs are supposed to set-up processes for it.

You might want to check with the company that you want to go to that they have processes for Number Portability.

HTH.

Kind regards,
     Tony

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2023, 01:21:26 AM »

1. We are legally allowed to take numbers with us under Number Portability, see https://www.ofcom.org.uk/phones-telecoms-and-internet/information-for-industry/numbering/number-portability-info

We may be legally allowed, but that unfortunately doesn't mean its not complicated if that number is tied to a broadband and phone contract.  You can't cease one without losing the other, and if the ISP you are moving to doesn't do both, you have to get creative.

I'm also unaware of any recourse for getting your number back if something goes wrong and it gets released into the free pool, so again you have be careful how you go about it to minimise the chance of it being lost.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2023, 04:14:32 PM »

Currently number migrations rely on providers having porting agreements between each other.

It doesn't matter what you read the law as being. You can't migrate a number from provider A to provider B unless they have a porting agreement in place.
There are many migrations between specific providers that currently are simply impossible and unsupported.

OFCOM have delayed their new migration plan to some time next year that will fix this issue.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

bbnovice

• Reg Member
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2023, 06:31:55 PM »

Currently number migrations rely on providers having porting agreements between each other.

It doesn't matter what you read the law as being. You can't migrate a number from provider A to provider B unless they have a porting agreement in place.
There are many migrations between specific providers that currently are simply impossible and unsupported.

OFCOM have delayed their new migration plan to some time next year that will fix this issue.

Many thanks John. As I suspected, currently what "should happen" may not be the same as what "will happen" in the number porting universe for fibre.

I was not aware that OFCOM were going to produce a new number porting plan. Looks like it may be better for me to grit my teeth and accept the present anti-comptetive position and hold off until OFCOM decide how this procedure is going to be supported in future. I cannot afford the risk of losing my landline number.   

dansus

• Just arrived
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2023, 07:58:53 PM »

ISP Review have an article on this, if you can wait a few months, there might be a more reliable solution soon.

The good news is that Ofcom are working on a solution to this, which might be ready in time for their new broadband-focused One Touch Switch (OTS) migration service – this is due to go live from April 2023

jaydub

• Reg Member
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2023, 11:28:24 PM »

I've just gone through the number porting process successfully with A&A but not without a level of angst as I had to get responses from IDNet to answer all the questions that A&A wanted answering.

The sooner we get a clean porting process the better in my book and it should allow porting a phone number away without ceasing the broadband service (or am I being naive here?!!).

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2023, 11:28:06 AM »

The sooner we get a clean porting process the better in my book and it should allow porting a phone number away without ceasing the broadband service (or am I being naive here?!!).

The problem is how Openreach consider BB+landline and data only as different "packages" with the whole migration fiasco.

It should technically be simple, but adapting it to their automated systems seems to throw spanners in the works.

anything