Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: New EE Router Causing VoIP Problems  (Read 3459 times)

benji09

• Reg Member
New EE Router Causing VoIP Problems
« on: February 18, 2023, 09:44:40 PM »

Many months ago, I set up a VOIP ATA for a relative, for use on the Sipgate network. No router settings were needed to get the device working at the time, and it has been working well. Apparently EE sent him a new router for some reason. The new router does not work with the ATA. Unfortunately he is not an expert on trying out various settings within the new router. I wondered if anyone has had the same problem, and knows the exact cause of the problem, so I can guide him through the procedure easily? 

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: New EE Router Causing VoIP Problems
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2023, 09:58:40 PM »

I wonder if just turning off the "SIP Alg" in the EE device will resolve the problem.  :-\
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

benji09

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2023, 10:46:27 PM »

Tku, it would be the first thing I would try, but he lives many miles away, so I can't do things for him. I did have that problem many years ago on a Netgear router, and always disable it myself as a matter of course. But thought by now, that issue should have been  resolved. I have looked on the EE site last night, but people seem to have overcome the problem in different ways, so I don't which thing to try first.............Also don't even know yet what router type he has received.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2023, 12:24:01 AM »

. . . don't even know yet what router type he has received.

Without that important piece of information you (or anyone else) will just be guessing.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2023, 02:10:26 AM »

Can EE not do it remotely?
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

meritez

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2023, 11:12:56 AM »

Tku, it would be the first thing I would try, but he lives many miles away, so I can't do things for him. I did have that problem many years ago on a Netgear router, and always disable it myself as a matter of course. But thought by now, that issue should have been  resolved. I have looked on the EE site last night, but people seem to have overcome the problem in different ways, so I don't which thing to try first.............Also don't even know yet what router type he has received.

https://anydesk.com/en-gb

Get the above downloaded on computer on site, download it locally.
Ask for the 9 digit code, connect.

benji09

• Reg Member
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2023, 10:40:49 PM »

Thank you for all your responses, I have now found out the router that he is using, which is the GRV9517UWAC34AOT. As a result of this information, I was able to find a nice video from  Plus Net, showing how to log in, and set up your own WiFi details. Hopefully once he has seen that, he should be able to work out how to disable SIP ALG, to see if that would get the ATA working. If that does not work, I will have post him some information from one of my old routers, on how to set up port forwarding. But I hope that I won't need to do that.   

benji09

• Reg Member
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2023, 10:47:21 PM »

Once DISABLE SIP ALG had been carried out, the problem was sorted. The original setting caused the ATA to not log into Sipgate at all. When I had a problem years ago with the same ATA, the fault was the audio cutting off after 20 seconds. I am surprised that after all these year SIP ALG still does not do what is supposed to do.....................

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2023, 11:06:06 PM »

Once DISABLE SIP ALG had been carried out, the problem was sorted.

Thank you for reporting back with the excellent news.  :)

Iain

« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2023, 11:57:46 PM »

EE routers after the Brightbox ones are based on BT routers, the black Smart Hub for ADSL?VDSL services is a version of the BT HH6, the White Smart Router for G Fast/FTTC is based on the newer BT Smart Hub 2, which may help with future issues/or make it easier to work out what router EE sent.

benji09

• Reg Member
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2023, 09:29:15 PM »

Thank you for that info.
 Since, at the moment, am not sure what is going to happen in the future, I am looking into Direct I.P. Calling, as a back up for my relative. But it seems that you need a SIP provider to even do that. So some experimenting to be done!