Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Sky FTTP  (Read 4449 times)

Derpy

Sky FTTP
« on: October 04, 2022, 02:07:38 PM »

Hi
Just wondering how people on Sky's FTTP are finding the service?
I am tempted to move from iDNet to Sky to get rid of pppoe issues with my UDM and go onto the 900mb package but I thought I would ask how people were finding it first.

Cheers

bogof

• Reg Member
Re: Sky FTTP
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2022, 08:14:51 PM »

Are they offering 900Mbps in your area?  A lot of areas Sky do not offer the 900Mbps service yet, which I assume is due to not having sufficiently capable equipment and / or links.

Derpy

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2022, 02:25:56 AM »

Yeah they are.

Adam1V

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2022, 10:00:44 PM »

I’ve just come here to ask the very same question.
Prices compared to BT are within a couple of pound of one another, although I do find having SkyQ for 10+ years opens the doors to decent discounts with Sky.
Really keen to hear others experiences.

Presumably you can use your own router with Sky FTTP?

Adam1V

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2022, 08:47:34 AM »

Hi
Just wondering how people on Sky's FTTP are finding the service?
I am tempted to move from iDNet to Sky to get rid of pppoe issues with my UDM and go onto the 900mb package but I thought I would ask how people were finding it first.

Cheers

Hi Derpy,
I've done some digging myself and confirmed the following (apologies if you already know this):

• Both BT and Sky use the same Openreach network, same network teams and routing etc, so the quality of service shouldn't be any different between the two.
  • In most cases, BT will often carry out the initial installation, providing the ONT and Sky will supply their own router. Where the installation is very straight forward or you already have FTTP, a visit isnt usually required or sometimes a Sky engineer may attend themselves.
  • BT will usually survey the installation to agree where the fibre will enter the property and agree this (within reason).
  • with Sky, you are free to replace their Hub with your own router (I have a UniFi UDMP myself), however by doing this I think you'd loose the VOIP calls feature. No biggie imo, most of us use mobiles.

Hope that helps

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2022, 04:49:46 PM »

Hi Derpy,
I've done some digging myself and confirmed the following (apologies if you already know this):

Both BT and Sky use the same Openreach network, same network teams and routing etc, so the quality of service shouldn't be any different between the two.

That's not the case.
They both use the same Openreach access network but that's the only thing in common.
Beyond the OLT/L2S in your local exchange they are completely separate networks.

BT uses Openreach to the exchange then they use BT Wholesale backhaul network to get from your exchange to BT servers in London.
Sky use Openreach to the exchange then they use their own backhaul network to get from your exchange to their servers in London.

Completely separate routing and completely separate network teams, apart from Openreach controlling between the home and exchange for both
Different quality of service.

In most cases, BT will often carry out the initial installation, providing the ONT and Sky will supply their own router. Where the installation is very straight forward or you already have FTTP, a visit isnt usually required or sometimes a Sky engineer may attend themselves.

BT will usually survey the installation to agree where the fibre will enter the property and agree this (within reason).[/li]
[li]with Sky, you are free to replace their Hub with your own router (I have a UniFi UDMP myself), however by doing this I think you'd loose the VOIP calls feature. No biggie imo, most of us use mobiles.

Both mentions of BT here should be Openreach.
BT don't do any surveys or ONT installations.
Sky do indeed do some ONT installations.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2022, 04:53:11 PM by j0hn »
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

Jasonkruys

• Reg Member
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2023, 11:29:55 PM »

Yeah they are.

Did you hop over to Sky in the end? Anything to report?

Derpy

« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2023, 12:05:55 AM »

Did you hop over to Sky in the end? Anything to report?

Yeah I did eventually get a deal from sky where they charge me less than the book price openreach charge isp's so thats something.

IPv4 seems fine enough, ping is slightly higher than IDNet but I live seriously remotely so that will be a factor. IPv6 seems a little slower but on the whole I dont have many issues.
My UDMSE is much happier with the lack of PPPoE.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2023, 02:15:56 AM »

Love to know how they make any profit off that then.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

Derpy

« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2023, 12:50:52 AM »

Love to know how they make any profit off that then.

It took 11 hours and multiple reviews of calls but basically a staffer gave me a price and they kept trying to dodge the price.

bogof

• Reg Member
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2023, 10:12:34 AM »

Does anyone know if Sky business FTTP is DHCP too? 

anything