Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: I had a strange cold call yesterday  (Read 1569 times)

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
I had a strange cold call yesterday
« on: July 05, 2022, 11:31:26 AM »

So yesterday the phone rang and it showed the number as being local on my caller id. I picked the phone up and it was someone saying my broadband is going to go down unless I let them help me repair it. I knew it was a cold call so ended it.

When I went to look up the number it seems there is a shop down the road from me that sells items for parties. The phone number is on their banner outside.

I've never seen a cold caller be looking up a local number and spoofing it to my phone.

I don't know if this is connected to me being on BT's voip service or if it would have happened anyway. It was just odd. It feels like they looked up my address on google maps and went around street view looking for a nearby shop with a number on it.
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2

4candles

• Kitizen
  • Not young enough to know everything
Re: I had a strange cold call yesterday
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2022, 01:33:36 PM »

The phone number is on their banner outside.

That certainly lends weight to your theory.
To err is human - to purr feline
Zen FTTC 40/10 + Digital Voice   FRITZ!Box 7530

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
Re: I had a strange cold call yesterday
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2022, 02:50:56 PM »

Its certainly bizarre, I mean even if it convinces you to answer the call because you know the number, surely it also increases the chance someone would go "hang on, why is the party supplies store calling about my broadband?".
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors