Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: 99p v £1  (Read 14149 times)

Broadband1

• Reg Member
99p v £1
« on: August 17, 2008, 08:17:22 PM »

I've always wondered about this one why do prices usualyy end in .99 instead of .00 Is it just the way we are or is there something to it ???  :)

dave.m

• Kitizen
Re: 99p v £1
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2008, 08:24:41 PM »

It is to make sure that staff open the till to put the money in and get the 1p change out. Otherwise a lot of £1 coins would get 'skimmed' away and not rung in.

dave.m

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2008, 08:35:15 PM »

What I do HATE and find totally stupid is the .9 of a penny at the petrol pumps. Just who do they think they are kidding?
If they did away with it, the big signs could show the proper price and not a bit of white tape to look like the first 1.

If a litre is priced at 115.9p and the minimun sale at the pump is 2 litres then if you measure exactly 2 litres the cash reading will be £2.31 when it should be £2.318. It cannot 'round it up' as that is illegal.
Undercharging and over measurements are as illegal as overcharging and short measures.
You wouldn't be very popular but you could pump the 2 litres and go and pay then go back to the pump and do it again. After 20 goes, you would have your 40 litres and you would have saved 20 x 0.8p = 16 pence.

Don't even think of doing it on a Bank Holiday weekend.  :no:

dave  8)

Broadband1

• Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2008, 08:43:40 PM »

Did you ever try that dave buying £2 of petrol each time and driving round 20 times for 16pence well in this day and age 16pence can get you ummm...... 16pence worth of sweets  ;D

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
  • If it ain't broke....... I'll soon fix it.
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2008, 09:18:58 PM »

It is to make sure that staff open the till to put the money in and get the 1p change out. Otherwise a lot of £1 coins would get 'skimmed' away and not rung in.

Another reason is to stop assistants from ringing the till with 1p, (if spotted at the time they could say it was a legitimate error) instead of £10 and then remove the balance at a later time.

Also another anti-theft tactic that supermarkets look-out for, is when particular peoples tills are never wrong.
Someone on the fiddle tries to make sure their till is never wrong, thus avoiding suspicion.
Management assume that most people will make a mistake at some time or other, up or down.

Finally (slightly OT)
£xxx.98 = Manager special, possibly scratched etc.
£xxx.97 = Missing parts, such as remote or manual.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2008, 10:40:48 PM »

It's not just an anti-theft device, it's also a marketing trick. £3.99 somehow seems less than £4.00, and they often put the .99 in much smaller characters to disguise it still more. Estate agents do exactly the same thing with house prices.
  Eric

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2008, 01:40:03 AM »

I owned a shop for 11 years and it's like Eric says .
It looks better (cheaper). ;D  It's all in the mind.
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

Yorkie

• Kitizen
  • I'm working on my warm and fluffy side
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2008, 01:47:41 AM »

I have a pot pig that I put my surplus copper into, I emptied it the other day, I have £9 in copper, it weighs a ton, and as it would cost me £3.50 on the bus to take it to a bank I seem to be stuck with it.

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
  • If it ain't broke....... I'll soon fix it.
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2008, 02:38:54 AM »

I have a pot pig that I put my surplus copper into, I emptied it the other day, I have £9 in copper, it weighs a ton, and as it would cost me £3.50 on the bus to take it to a bank I seem to be stuck with it.

That reminds me of the OLD 1d (one Penny)
"or any old currency if it comes to it"

As you may be aware, the Bank Of England is still obliged to take back old currency.
However, you have to post it back as personal deliveries are not accepted, although a good few years ago, it would cost more in postage because of the weight than what you would receive back.

scottiesmum

« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2008, 07:30:34 AM »

It's not just an anti-theft device, it's also a marketing trick. £3.99 somehow seems less than £4.00, and they often put the .99 in much smaller characters to disguise it still more. Estate agents do exactly the same thing with house prices.

Eric, do you remember when that would have been £3-19/11d   >:D :D   I do too  !!!! :'(

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2008, 08:02:25 AM »

Eric, do you remember when that would have been £3-19/11d    >:D  I do too   :'(

Me too  :'(

Don't forget the half penny  :D

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2008, 08:04:42 AM »

I like some of the others think they do it solely for the reason of it appearing to be cheaper....   and how many times do you hear things like "under a tenner" when its £9.99 etc?

The petrol one though is really stupid with the fraction of pence - I really dont see the point.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

Ezzer

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2008, 08:56:28 AM »

Yorkie, with the price of copper now, take that lot to a scrap merchants not a bank  :D

Does any one remember the "not the nine o'clock news" sketch where Rowan Atkinson so carefully after filling up at the petrol station makes sure he dosn't add one more drop only for the laughing Cashier to press a button by the till which added a 1/2 pence (Rember those?) on the pump total much to Rowans disgust  :lol:

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2008, 09:14:38 AM »

Eric, do you remember when that would have been £3-19/11d   >:D :D   I do too  !!!! :'(

Do you mean to say we don't use that type of money any more? :'(
  Eric

Floydoid

• Addicted Kitizen
  • Illegitimi Non Carborundum
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2008, 09:29:14 AM »

Yep that's a very old practice, years ago all the prices would end in something like 19/11.
"We're going to need a bigger swear jar."
Pages: [1] 2 3 4