Broadband Related > FTTC and FTTP Issues

Is it possible to force on interleaving (upstream) on a VDSL modem in the UK?

(1/14) > >>

cbdeakin:
Are there any VDSL modems that can do this?

Basically, I discovered that my VDSL2 line has 1-2% packet loss (I can see this in various applications like Google Stadia and other streaming services), and I'm fairly sure it's on the upstream part of the connection, which is not interleaved (the downstream is). It's enough to cause stuttering and input delays in the stream.

I realise this will seem strange to a few people on these forums, as many users (particularly gamers), seem to want to remove interleaving from their lines, but I think there are reasons why you might want it to be enabled on your line (particularly if G.INP is not an option). I think my line would be fine with interleaving enabled on the upstream, because latency is only 9-10ms to websites like bbc.co.uk.

My line has never had G.INP enabled, which I suspect would've helped a lot to reduce packet loss on the line (note - I've confirmed it's not my own network causing the packet loss and my PC has an ethernet connection to my router).

I'd appreciate any advice from the experts on this! I'm hoping that it's possible to force on interleaving with a telnet or SSH command on some modems. I suppose the other thing it would be useful to know, is how effective interleaving is at actually preventing packet loss on ADSL and VDSL lines.

Reformed:
The stuttering on the streaming is downstream, Stadia's streaming doesn't care about upstream. Changing the upstream won't help you :(

Alex Atkin UK:
I'd have to agree, upstream would cause input misses not stuttering.  Streaming services will be using UDP as you wan't no re-transmissions (from the server, re-transmission from the DSLAM is likely fast enough to be an improvement rather than detriment) on a live feed, but that means if you lose a few packets on the way it will likely skip that corrupt frame to avoid garbage on the screen.

cbdeakin:
The interesting thing about this problem, is that if I set my upload speed to 500kbps, packet loss on the line is virtually 0.

I first noticed this when I ran this online networking test here:
https://www.measurementlab.net/p/ndt-ws.html

Which reported 0 packets lost and 0 bytes lost when limited to 500kbps upload. If I increased the upload bandwidth, it would start reporting lost bytes and sometimes retransmitted packets.

Then I ran these settings in Stadia and noticed the same thing, virtually no packet loss (with tons of latency).

Reformed:
Why is Stadia using so much upstream, assuming there isn't something else up? Your kit only needs to be sending controller inputs?

Stadia only uses upstream for those inputs. The stream itself doesn't have any acknowledgement. How's your router?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version