Broadband Related > FTTC and FTTP Issues

Is it possible to force on interleaving (upstream) on a VDSL modem in the UK?

<< < (2/14) > >>

Alex Atkin UK:
Has to be said, I never had much luck with any streaming service and I tried Geforce Now, Stadia and Shadow.

Stadia particularly was annoying as it would work fine then suddenly the picture go all blocky and eventually lose the connection entirely.  Not been too keen on trying them since seeing as I have a beefy gaming PC, but there was one game that was Stadia exclusive I was enjoying until that started.

At the time I had Zen and Plusnet, both exhibited the same problem at the same time.  Doubt it was pfSense at fault as it had been working fine at first and still would periodically, just not long enough to get a full play session in.  I think I even tried over Three 4G with the same result.

cbdeakin:

--- Quote from: Reformed on March 24, 2022, 08:59:14 PM ---Why is Stadia using so much upstream, assuming there isn't something else up? Your kit only needs to be sending controller inputs?

Stadia only uses upstream for those inputs. The stream itself doesn't have any acknowledgement. How's your router?

--- End quote ---

Good point. I suppose it's the SQM (I'm using FQ_Codel, as it works much better on Stadia than que disciplines such as Cake), I've heard that can require a fair bit of upload (2mbps) for it to work well

cbdeakin:

--- Quote from: Alex Atkin UK on March 25, 2022, 04:27:32 AM ---Has to be said, I never had much luck with any streaming service and I tried Geforce Now, Stadia and Shadow.

--- End quote ---

I strongly agree, certainly true in my case for both Geforce Now and Stadia. I'm fairly sure that Google have the best servers / infrastructure of any streaming service though. I assume your connection doesn't have G.INP enabled as you are on an ECI cabinet. It's hard to prove definitively, but I suspect that G.INP is probably helping to avoid this problem on a lot of FTTC lines (especially if the SNR is low, hence lower bit rate).

The best results I've had so far on Stadia, were with a per packet overhead of 256 and an upload limit of 2500kbps.

I had a chat with my ISP, they reckon interleaving wouldn't help, and might even increase the amount of lost packets (I suppose because of the chopping up and reassembling of packets that happens when interleaving is used).

Alex Atkin UK:

--- Quote from: cbdeakin on March 25, 2022, 10:45:17 PM ---I strongly agree, certainly true in my case for both Geforce Now and Stadia. I'm fairly sure that Google have the best servers / infrastructure of any streaming service though. I assume your connection doesn't have G.INP enabled as you are on an ECI cabinet. It's hard to prove definitively, but I suspect that G.INP is probably helping to avoid this problem on a lot of FTTC lines (especially if the SNR is low, hence lower bit rate).

--- End quote ---

Its possible it would be WAY better now as my errors are insanely low since I had my drop wire replaced.   I kinda doubt though that the problem was my end considering it was so severe and across three ISPs at the same time period.

Chrysalis:
Signal errors dont increase or decrease with throughput normally, just would be more noticeable in the form of packet loss. 

So some things here I think need to be clearer.

Are we talking CRC errors on the upstream or just packet loss? The two are not the same thing.

When you see the packet loss what is the utilisation of the downstream and upstream in respect to the line capacity?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version