Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8

Author Topic: YouFibre FTTP  (Read 16939 times)

j0hn

• Kitizen
Re: YouFibre FTTP
« Reply #30 on: October 27, 2022, 12:23:30 PM »

Waaaay too many alt-nets in this industry now. OR will end up picking up the pieces.

Another Alt-Net is likely to pick up the pieces when it all goes tits up or there will be a fair bit of consolidation between multiple Alt-Nets.

OR already have national coverage. I can't see any benefit in them picking through the carcasses of dead networks.
There's very little OR would want.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #31 on: October 27, 2022, 12:27:02 PM »

Mind you OFCOM can be a barrier too, I remember with Digital Region they weren't allowed to advertise on the cabinets and they foolishly expected ISPs to do all the advertising, so nobody knew it existed.  Curiously when OR arrived they WERE allowed to advertise on their cabinets which gave them an unfair advantage, not that Digital Region were likely to recover at that point.

I've never seen OR advertise on any of their cabinets.
The only thing I have seen is some Digital Scotland (BDUK) funded cabinets with big stickers on them explaining fibre has arrived. Digital Scotland provided that advertising not OR.

I've never seen anything on a commercially funded cabinet but might be very different in other areas.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #32 on: October 27, 2022, 10:42:10 PM »

I've never seen OR advertise on any of their cabinets.
The only thing I have seen is some Digital Scotland (BDUK) funded cabinets with big stickers on them explaining fibre has arrived. Digital Scotland provided that advertising not OR.

I've never seen anything on a commercially funded cabinet but might be very different in other areas.

All the cabinets I saw installed in Sheffield had the "fibre has arrived" stickers with a URL, BDUK or normal rollout.
Digital Region as I understand it were not allowed to do that.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

tubaman

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #33 on: October 28, 2022, 08:01:08 AM »

All the cabinets I saw installed in Sheffield had the "fibre has arrived" stickers with a URL, BDUK or normal rollout.

Ditto here somewhat further down south.
BT FTTC 55/10 Huawei Cab - Zyxel VMG8924-B10A

Dwight

• Reg Member
« Reply #34 on: January 06, 2023, 08:16:23 PM »

Well!
Youfibre now taking pre-orders for my area!
Wish me luck! ;) ;)
Dwight

dee.jay

• Helpful
  • Reg Member
« Reply #35 on: January 06, 2023, 08:21:29 PM »

Lucky you - won't touch my street.
AAISP 1000/115 FTTP routed by opnsense on proxmox. Even my WiFi is baller

skyeci

• Kitizen
    • Line stats
« Reply #36 on: January 07, 2023, 07:24:16 AM »

Well!
Youfibre now taking pre-orders for my area!
Wish me luck! ;) ;)
Dwight

Our area has been pre order for a while. The rollout has been ongoing for over 12 months. It has been indicated its another 3-6 months yet before service even though its preorder for my address

skyeci

• Kitizen
    • Line stats
« Reply #37 on: January 09, 2023, 08:14:26 PM »

I now see you fibre has moved to 24 month contracts... I should have pre registered my order when it was 18 months just a week ago.24 is just too long for me.

Mark07

• Reg Member
« Reply #38 on: January 10, 2023, 03:37:57 PM »

Three of those months are £1 though :) https://www.youfibre.com

dee.jay

• Helpful
  • Reg Member
« Reply #39 on: January 10, 2023, 03:49:36 PM »

Three of those months are £1 though :) https://www.youfibre.com

That'd be great, now if only they would build in my street.  >:(

It's really frustrating they've done most of my town, but don't touch DiG streets.

Mostly annoying - Given they were happy to overbuild VM and OR in other parts of the exact same town, and are well known in the industry for going into PIA green OR areas to make it nice and easy. Yes, I get it, good business sense, but really disappointing that the cherry picking excludes areas with absolutely NO ultrafast options.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2023, 07:50:19 PM by dee.jay »

XGS_Is_On

• Reg Member
« Reply #40 on: January 10, 2023, 06:38:45 PM »

We're going to see a bunch of altnets that aren't keeping a tight rein on their costs going under over the next couple of years.

Netomnia are under no allusions: the moment they build to those areas with no ultrafast options Openreach will immediately take an interest and their civils guys will be rocking up digging microduct and tees.

Building mostly PIA with a few bits of DiG the DiG is really expensive per premises passed, way more than double the cost per premises for PIA. Zero chance of making the money back.

Definitely brutal but perhaps not insulting given where the altnets are in their development. Even Openreach leave the DiG until the end and that with their far more accommodating investors.
YouFibre You8000 customer: symmetrical 8 Gbps.

Yes, more money than sense. Story of my life.

skyeci

• Kitizen
    • Line stats
« Reply #41 on: January 10, 2023, 06:54:58 PM »

The amount of digging city fibre have been doing over Bath is eye opening. I work all over the city and they are everywhere and its all dig. The cost must be huge..

dee.jay

• Helpful
  • Reg Member
« Reply #42 on: January 10, 2023, 07:48:33 PM »

We're going to see a bunch of altnets that aren't keeping a tight rein on their costs going under over the next couple of years.

Netomnia are under no allusions: the moment they build to those areas with no ultrafast options Openreach will immediately take an interest and their civils guys will be rocking up digging microduct and tees.

Building mostly PIA with a few bits of DiG the DiG is really expensive per premises passed, way more than double the cost per premises for PIA. Zero chance of making the money back.

Definitely brutal but perhaps not insulting given where the altnets are in their development. Even Openreach leave the DiG until the end and that with their far more accommodating investors.

Yeah, insulting was totally the wrong word. Frustrating would have worked. Ogi manage to build everywhere in a town, but my town is nowhere near the top of the list. We can only build in so many areas at once... So FTTPoD in March is my next step...

XGS_Is_On

• Reg Member
« Reply #43 on: January 10, 2023, 10:57:42 PM »

The amount of digging city fibre have been doing over Bath is eye opening. I work all over the city and they are everywhere and its all dig. The cost must be huge..

CityFibre are burning cash like it's post-apocalypse and the only use for it is that burning paper keeps you warm a few seconds.
YouFibre You8000 customer: symmetrical 8 Gbps.

Yes, more money than sense. Story of my life.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP CF
« Reply #44 on: January 11, 2023, 02:02:46 PM »

If I was an altnet I would be aiming to make a deal with Openreach along the lines of we will roll out take the risk, and then you can come in and use the fibre on some kind of pre agreed arrangement, sell what you want, purchase of us or whatever.  Seems more sensible than just going in and hoping Openreach will ignore, as Openreach do seem to be a bit sly and jumping in at short notice when these altnets start.

Openreach are actually doing FTTP work in my area with no official plans which is a bit weird.  It wouldnt surprise me if they turn it on within weeks of CF going live.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8