Broadband Related > FTTP Rollout

FTTP - Speed Testing

<< < (5/5)

kjw:
I have found https://nperf.com pretty much maxes out my 900/100 line at most times, when it doesn't I think its contention rather than anything else as there has been quite a large take up since we went live 5 months back.

Here is one run just this minute - https://pasteboard.co/4fDz9kTz5cRv.png

Bestgear:

--- Quote from: kjw on October 17, 2021, 10:08:01 AM ---I have found https://nperf.com pretty much maxes out my 900/100 line at most times, when it doesn't I think its contention rather than anything else as there has been quite a large take up since we went live 5 months back.

Here is one run just this minute - https://pasteboard.co/4fDz9kTz5cRv.png

--- End quote ---

Thanks for that - looks like a good tester to stay with.

I am not getting the throughput you have seen, but thats another story. What sped of PC are you using to test and what router are you using?

Bestgear:

--- Quote from: j0hn on October 14, 2021, 08:15:14 PM ---I've been following 2 recent online complaints with BT FTTP where they have refused to help customers on the 900Mb package who are hitting the guaranteed minimum which is around 450Mb/s.
Both cases hit a deadlock, went to the ombudsman and the ombudsman has ruled in BT's favour.

--- End quote ---

That is interesting.... even with my testing, the speed does vary - with 850ish being seen now and again...even on a pc that the following day will report half that. The BT Wholesale test is variable... upload speed always above the "promise", which has been widely reported.

Been using multiple pcs at the same time (all targeting different test servers and even different test apps/sites) to see what the UTM reports - and it is still capped at pretty much the best one PC can manage (on teh day) so that kinds proves its not internal to the house.

--- Quote from: j0hn on October 14, 2021, 08:15:14 PM ---BT won't entertain your complaint until you connect the Smart Hub 2.
It has a built in speed tester that specifically tests throughput to the Hub. It rules out any and all hardware at the customer end like underpowered PC's/laptops/phones or things like problematic Ethernet adapters.

--- End quote ---

Yes- thats a job for today - had a brief play but it would not allow me to set the LAN subnet to be a 10.0.0.0/16 which I need to slot the thing in, so may need to live with 192.x.x.x for a week of testing which is a bugger for all other devices I have. So - question - if you use the "built in speed tester) where does that run "to"? - the local exchange? Cant see anything else giving much different speeds.

Anyone else run a UTM in a HyperV VM? I have used Untangle for years and is totally stable in a VM. Intel i350 nics, running off a passthrough SSD. Changing cpu allocation (default 2 vcpus, been to 8) and memory (usually 6gb but been to 12) as well as changing VMQ, IPsec offloading and SR-IOV has made negligible difference (some for obvious reasons such as dedicated nics to the VM plus low load on host).

Will also move Untangle to an appliance this afternoon too - just to rule the virtualisation out - its a Caswell i7 with 8GB ram and intel nics... will be interesting to see where it sits or indeed if anything changes!

The one thing that does puzzle me is why testing with multiple PCs and target speed test sites does the aggregate not equate to something at or around the 900ish? There cannot be a capacity issue at my local exchange already.... orders just opened up 5-6 weeks ago.

David

Weaver:
nperf is great. It has a weird quirk on my machine - it doesn’t see the availability of IPv6. That’s very weird since my iPadOS Safari prefers IPv6 anyway. For example speedtest.aa.net.uk often uses IPv6. I don’t know if their website even has an IPv6 address, didn’t check.

Don’t bother with the app. It seems to give worse results and takes forever as it does a whole load of additional tests involving performance if your browser and youtube video playing and all kinds of such nonsense that has nothing to do with your internet access link which is what it should be testing.

I can’t see how to restrict app or website to do just one test alone, eg upload, to save time.

Alex Atkin UK:

--- Quote from: Weaver on October 18, 2021, 05:13:08 AM ---nperf is great. It has a weird quirk on my machine - it doesn’t see the availability of IPv6. That’s very weird since my iPadOS Safari prefers IPv6 anyway. For example speedtest.aa.net.uk often uses IPv6. I don’t know if their website even has an IPv6 address, didn’t check.

--- End quote ---

I've be cautiously rolling out IPv6 to a limited number of clients on my LAN using a dedicated dual-stack VLAN.  It didn't see my IPv6 either despite it working fine on AAISPs tester. 

--- Quote from: Weaver on October 18, 2021, 05:13:08 AM ---Don’t bother with the app. It seems to give worse results and takes forever as it does a whole load of additional tests involving performance if your browser and youtube video playing and all kinds of such nonsense that has nothing to do with your internet access link which is what it should be testing.

I can’t see how to restrict app or website to do just one test alone, eg upload, to save time.

--- End quote ---

Apps frustrate me in general, too often they provide an inferior experience to just using the website.  The really annoying one for me is speedtest.net who nag for me to use their app on Windows because "it performs better on fast connections", but it absolutely doesn't.

I don't think I ever once got a good result on their Windows app, it always shows much slower than the browser.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version