Broadband Related > FTTP Rollout

FTTP - Speed Testing

<< < (4/5) > >>

gt94sss2:
I would try it with the BT Hub. The My BT app has a 'test my speed' option under 'More'.

I would also be interested in what version firmware, the hub is using, as it may not be the latest and you will need to wait for BT to remotely update it.

Bestgear:

--- Quote from: d2d4j on October 12, 2021, 07:24:20 PM ---The only true way to test would be as suggested already, and test against a server you are in control off and which would give you an accurate ping (ping and jitter are calculated best guess as the test servers cannot ping directly to you)

--- End quote ---

Thanks - its very hard to know really.... I think I need to get the homehub out and try then speak to them next week.

You know fibre should be there or not - no dlm so no variations in speed in theory excluding exchange congestion... and I would hope that would not be an issue with only small numbers of subscribers currently.

I notice too that my IP location is not in my town with FTTP - whereas the IP location on FTTC was a couple of hundred miles away so I can only assume each exchange has a new backbone connection.... which it must have for bandwidth I think....anyone else spotted that?
D

j0hn:

--- Quote from: Bestgear on October 13, 2021, 06:57:23 PM ---You know fibre should be there or not - no dlm so no variations in speed in theory excluding exchange congestion... and I would hope that would not be an issue with only small numbers of subscribers currently.

--- End quote ---

That's far from reality I'm afraid.

If you want full speed tests at all times of day and full single thread speeds then you're going to be paying a lot more than BT charge for a residential service.

There's PON contention (your splitter node), exchange congestion and backhaul congestion.
That's just within BT's realm before you hit the wider internet.

I've been following 2 recent online complaints with BT FTTP where they have refused to help customers on the 900Mb package who are hitting the guaranteed minimum which is around 450Mb/s.
Both cases hit a deadlock, went to the ombudsman and the ombudsman has ruled in BT's favour.

BT won't entertain your complaint until you connect the Smart Hub 2.
It has a built in speed tester that specifically tests throughput to the Hub. It rules out any and all hardware at the customer end like underpowered PC's/laptops/phones or things like problematic Ethernet adapters.

There's no DLM to affect the sync speed but it's very much a residential service and expectations should match that.
It's a contended service and is advertised/sold/priced at such.
You aren't likely to get far with any complaints about speeds under the minimum guarantee.

It also isn't a pitiful guarantee. What BT guarantee you is considerably higher than what OpenReach guarantee BT.
It's higher than I've seen from any other residential OpenReach FTTP provider.

Weaver:
What J0hn said.

To get a ‘guarantee’ of full link speed to your ISP, you need a ‘leased line’ - which is dedicated to you, and costs a fortune per month. My ISP, Andrews and Arnold, for example, will happily sell you one, ultimately provided by BT, will charge you god knows what, and you can have any speed you want. But even that won’t give you what you really want/need, a speed guarantee across the wider internet as the whole internet and servers at the far end is/are not under the control of your ISP. AA will only guarantee ‘not to be the bottleneck’ themselves, with best efforts and within reasonable limits.

But shared PON is no good for you if you want even more speed than say 450 Mbps or whatever. Look at what Carl has achieved for example, speed measurement of what was it 2.1 Gbps downstream ? - some months back.

Ixel:
There's the peering and transit of the ISP to consider too, the remote server's capabilities (e.g. 1Gbit port) as well as the network that the remote server is on (their peering, transit, etc). Anything along the route that the specific connection takes. There's many factors which may result in a 'speed test' that doesn't live up to how you thought it would.

For example, my connection with Cerberus to my OVH server, even on 'ultimate bandwidth', has congestion issues somewhere along the route. However, if I go via another server, such as Mullvad (VPN) to reach the OVH server then I have no trouble with some apparent congestion issue.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version