Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Pay to Play  (Read 7457 times)

scottiesmum

Pay to Play
« on: July 24, 2008, 08:45:08 AM »

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
Re: Pay to Play
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2008, 08:54:03 AM »

Its been an ongoing topic for some time.IMO you should not down load illegally.I think the way forward is to pay something.But I also think that the price of CD's and DVD's are far too expensive,which is the main reason why people do it illegally.I would quite be prepared to pay something to download music from a safe and secure site.

scottiesmum

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2008, 10:11:34 AM »

I don't download that much music, but when I do I use Virgin Megastore, and pay 99 centimes a track or about 9 euros for a CD ..I don't know how this compares with other download prices .. like you Unc, I don't think people should download illegally .. it's thanks to them that this is being introduced plus could it  be an excuse for another BB tactic !!! :o

Broadband1

• Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2008, 07:30:28 PM »

IMO I think the main reason why people do illegal downloads is not due to prices its just because they can and nobody can stop em'. ISP's try to crack down on this by limiting speeds but then people just wait till night to download so there is no way to stop honestly and the police can't and won't do anything about it as it's pretty hard to track em down and it'll be a waste of their time when the police could be stopping crime like roobery, rape, murder and such.

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
  • If it ain't broke....... I'll soon fix it.
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2008, 10:39:14 PM »

.. and pay 99 centimes a track or about 9 euros for a CD

..I don't know how this compares with other download prices

It's my opinion that people who pay to download are unwittingly aiding in keeping the price of shop brought disc's at a high price which is why "some people" continue to download illegally.

Plus, after a compilation has been downloaded it is usually burnt onto disc and possibly artwork also being printed and a box to store it in, the cost of all this should not be forgotten and added to the overhaul cost.

Not to mention that home burnt disc's do not last any-where near as long as manufactured "pressed" disc's.

Although I don't really condone illegal activities, I do it for my own enjoyment and not for profit, do not go to the cinema, or buy movie/music disc's, and never will.

scottiesmum

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2008, 08:22:47 AM »

Although I don't really condone illegal activities, I do it for my own enjoyment and not for profit,

IMO That's a bit like saying you can steal chocolates from M&S  providing  they are  for your own consumption  !   If it's illegal it's illegal .   I don't buy that many downloads, and the ones I do, if I put them on a CD I never bother with the cover, I just write  the title on the CD !  To be honest a lot of the music I prefer is fairly inexpensive anyway; I very recently purchased a CD of an LP we have had for 30 years or more, and it cost me 8€ 79c.   including postage !   I do buy LOTS of DVD's; I use AMAZON's Market Traders,  Play.Com etc.  and find them extremely good value.

Accordion

• Reg Member
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2008, 05:36:02 PM »

I've never downloaded music - I prefer to own a CD with a nice picture on it. Same with DVD's although I don't buy many on the grounds that once I've watched a film, I rarely watch it again. There's just a few films I've bought, and music DVD's.

I can't claim to be 'perfect' though. I seem to have a lot of copied music on cassette tapes.

dave.m

• Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2008, 06:11:02 PM »

Used to buy pirate DVDs here:
http://www.inyourpocket.com/poland/warsaw/feature/55823-russian_market.html
when ever we went over to vist family who were living there because of work.
Always tried them on their DVD player and any (not many) that did not play, we just took them back to any of the stalls and they would change them. No question of where you had bought them, which indicated that it was one big supplier with lots of stalls as outlets.
Lots of the films were on these DVDs before they had been released in the cinema in the UK. How they did it, I don't know and never asked when they were only charging 15 or 20 Zlotys which equated to £2.50 to £3 each

dave

Broadband1

• Reg Member
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2008, 06:37:48 PM »

Dave.

You buy pirate DVD's ?? how does that work ??  :)

Oh and I know I made a comment in this page before and I just realise thats so hippo-critical as I download illegally 40-75% of the time. Which makes me think, Am I knock-off nigel's knocked off brother  :'(

Accordion

• Reg Member
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2008, 07:14:03 PM »

Right dodgy lot in here. Own up now, who's been rolling joints too??

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2008, 10:46:05 PM »

how does that work ??  :)

These DVD's are commonly known as "R5s" and not just because that is the DVD region for Russia.

Basically, (please remember I said Basically). Because of the prolific downloading of movies in Russia, the movie industry in their wisdom decides to release most new movies there first, albeit in russian.

But, because copies such as "Directors Cut" (Cut and Uncut) are usually available in english, the english dialogue is dubbed over the russian version, thus giving a DVD in english that is almost in most occasions a perfect DVD.

(One of the problems with "Directors Cut" movies is that they usually show a wide count-down timer which spoils the view of the movie, although sometimes this is and can be just blurred over).

« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2008, 08:25:07 AM »

Indeed and there's even a timetable of R5 releases here :

http://filesharefreak.com/2008/07/20/r5-movies-and-release-dates/

Wanted, Hancock, and the Indiana Jones film are the current releases people are "waiting for"  ;)

« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2008, 08:26:12 AM »

(One of the problems with "Directors Cut" movies is that they usually show a wide count-down timer which spoils the view of the movie, although sometimes this is and can be just blurred over).

That sounds more like a screener to me - is that what you mean?

Broadband1

• Reg Member
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2008, 10:03:05 AM »

looks like we got a forum of illegal downloaders  ;)

Right dodgy lot in here. Own up now, who's been rolling joints too??

I admit it   :(

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2008, 07:31:19 PM »

>> That sounds more like a screener to me - is that what you mean?
Could be.

>> Indiana Jones
This has been available for a looong time.
Pages: [1] 2 3