Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Pay to Play  (Read 7473 times)

Floydoid

• Addicted Kitizen
  • Illegitimi Non Carborundum
Re: Pay to Play
« Reply #30 on: August 01, 2008, 12:59:20 PM »

I blame our ISPs!  :lol:

They give us sooo much bandwidth that we feel we should use it sooner than waste it.  >:D
But then they impose sanctions forbidding us to use it.

That's an interesting point... why can't they give us refunds for not going over our monthly download quota... seeing as they charge an excess if you go over.
"We're going to need a bigger swear jar."

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #31 on: August 01, 2008, 02:50:42 PM »

They bank on everyone not using their full quota...  and that is in part is what is used to increase the limits to higher than what they would be otherwise.

A few years ago I did an article on the pricing of IPstream adsl and how much it costs the ISP (before they have to add in such things as premises staff and equipment etc).
Some of the article is reproduced here.
I dont expect you to read it - but it basically sumouts to approx £9 each month port cost at the exchange and £1 per GB.
Prices have changed a little since then - but not much...  and the pricing in that article was confirmed as correct by several sources (adsl guide ran a similar one soon after with similar results).

Believe it or not theres not that much profit in adsl as companies compete to lower their prices.. and several organisations (such as CPW or Sky) subsidise it from income from other areas.  (Something which BT is not allowed to do).

The only way to make it fair across the board is make sure that everyone pays the exchange port costs to their telco..  and then the ISPs charge everyone for each and every GB used on top of a base charge for their running costs.  Kinda like we do with Gas, Electric, and in some cases water etc.

Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #32 on: August 01, 2008, 02:59:13 PM »

Yes, the light users subsidise the heavy users, and the heavy users still moan that they want more >:(
  Eric

Floydoid

• Addicted Kitizen
  • Illegitimi Non Carborundum
« Reply #33 on: August 01, 2008, 03:08:59 PM »

I thought that would be the case Kitz.
"We're going to need a bigger swear jar."
Pages: 1 2 [3]

anything