Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: A Degree Of Common Sense?  (Read 2622 times)

dave.m

• Kitizen
A Degree Of Common Sense?
« on: July 21, 2008, 09:58:57 AM »

A Degree Of Common Sense?

If I had spent the last three to four years studying to obtain a University Degree and then discovered that an “actress” who has spent the last 22 years playing the same character in a TV Soap, (can’t be classed as REAL acting), had been awarded an honorary degree of education, I’d be a bit miffed. Wouldn’t you?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/devon/7514148.stm

I feel that stunts (that is all they are, publicity stunts) like this by universities demean all the hard work put in by students.

dave

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
Re: A Degree Of Common Sense?
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2008, 10:08:11 AM »

Dave,this is England where lack of hard work is rewarded.  :no:

scottiesmum

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2008, 10:30:33 AM »

I disagree that acting  in a soap is not real acting; that's not to say they are all good actors, but that could be said of a lot of actors, current and past. 

One of Britain's  finest actresses, IMHO,is Sue Johnston -   she started in Brookside and has gone on to do many other things, including, her wonderful characters -  Barbara  Royle in The Royle Family,  Grace  Foley in Waking the Dead,  and Sal Vine in Jam and Jerusalem, showing her multi talented expertise in three entirely different characterisations.

Whether Pam Clements merits her Honorary Doctorate, I don't know, I don't know the circumstances,  but It doesn't worry me either way.   :)

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2008, 11:17:18 AM »

Kate,I agree with you about Sue Johnston,she is a fine actress and  like a lot of actors/actresses work hard.I just think that because they are celebreties as well other things come to them very easy.All this sir/dame/cbe/mbe malarky is given far too easily to people who IMO have done little to merit them.
The prime example is Sir Terry Wogan,what has he done over the years apart from pick up fat pay checks via the license payers money.

dave.m

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2008, 12:14:05 PM »

Kate,
My comment about not real acting was more directed at the point that she has only played one part for 22 years, not that acting in soaps is not acting.
Proper acting is, as you say, taking several parts and being good enough a to carry them off without people thinking, "Oh! That's her off XYZ program."
One of the best examples of that is David Jason. No matter what program you see him in you don't just think of Del Boy or Granville. Watching Jack Frost, he IS that policeman not that kid from the corner shop or that spiv wiv the three wheeler.

dave

Floydoid

• Addicted Kitizen
  • Illegitimi Non Carborundum
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2008, 12:21:24 PM »

I've never seen the point of honorary degrees.  As Dave suggests, it makes you wonder how those who have slogged for 6/7 years to get to doctorate level feel.
"We're going to need a bigger swear jar."

scottiesmum

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2008, 12:44:22 PM »

The prime example is Sir Terry Wogan,what has he done over the years apart from pick up fat pay checks via the license payers money.

:o :o :o    Unc  !!!    He has brought a smile to my face and a giggle to my throat on most mornings !!!!      ;)    but I do agree that  'honours' in general seem to be given to anyone and therefore reduce the value of the actual honour.       With regard to celebrities  :'(    my idea of a celebrity is someone who has  actually achieved something worthwhile and enduring, not a flippty jib wannabe or has-been  who seem to pop up every other day.

...............Funnily enough Dave,  I have tried many time to watch David Jason in Frost,   but I just see Del Boy in a different hat !   I LOVE him in his comedy roles,    OF&H, Porridge and Open All Hours, and can watch them over and over; the only other series I enjoyed watching him in was A Bit of a Do.     :)

chrissie

• Kitizen
  • little sweetie
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2008, 01:57:53 PM »

seem to pop up every other day.

...............Funnily enough Dave,  I have tried many time to watch David Jason in Frost,   but I just see Del Boy in a different hat !   I LOVE him in his comedy roles,    OF&H, Porridge and Open All Hours, and can watch them over and over; the only other series I enjoyed watching him in was A Bit of a Do.     :)

I have to agree with you there Kate, no matter how hard I try I cannot see David Jason in Frost as anything but Del boy, a lot of the mannerism's are the same and I'm waiting for him to say something like, "Shuttup Rodney you plonker"  ;D  So I can't watch him in that but all the other comedy series are great to see him in.
Don\\'t go to sleep ANGRY!!!  Stay awake and plot your revenge......

anything