Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Cheap VDSL plate - was it worth?  (Read 1975 times)

zvirus

Cheap VDSL plate - was it worth?
« on: May 05, 2020, 10:54:52 PM »

Hi,

Just want to tell you how you can ask for trouble trying to save....£4 on VDSL plate  :-[

Ordered one from well known website. After 2 weeks got it (coronavirus issue) And fitted:

Orange to IDC 2
 White to IDC 5

A and B to my HG612(modem) - did not want any sticking out cables from my socket.

And..... BANG - DSL Led flashing, not flashing, flashing..., not flashing...

So, connected DSL filter into phone socket and all working now... BUT DLM kicked on and from 40Mbps download  I have now - 17Mbps(!)

Lovely  :o

Ordered PROPER face plate from BT and now will be waiting for weeks to get back 40Mbps

I`m an Idiot  :-[

Cheers
Tomas

« Last Edit: May 05, 2020, 10:58:01 PM by zvirus »
Virgin M200 200/20

With QoS turned ON...

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: Cheap VDSL plate - was it worth?
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2020, 11:36:28 PM »

I am having trouble understanding exactly how you installed it . . . in particular the wiring.  :-\

Are you explaining the attachment of a telephony extension socket to IDC2 & IDC5 and an extension data socket, for the modem, to the A & B IDCs?
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2020, 11:40:07 PM »

The BT faceplates are very good indeed. The ADSL ones were referred to as ‘Pressac’, if I recall correctly. Is that still true for the VDSL2 Mark IV units ?

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2020, 11:47:46 PM »

. . . Is that still true for the VDSL2 Mark IV units ?

Yes, that is correct.

banger

• Kitizen
  • TTB 80/20
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2020, 12:16:43 AM »

When I was having my drive dug up by BT I also got a Face-plate as the engineer wasn't keen on the Mk3 I had fitted.
Tim
talktalkbusiness.net & freenetname
Asus RT-AC68U and ZyXEL VMG1312-B10A Bridge on 80 Meg TTB Fibre

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/1502566996147131655

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2020, 01:00:49 AM »

I really don't like the modern BT ones.  While they are clever in design, they stick out too far  from the wall (and the MK3 specifically being square, makes it look like it sticks out more than it really does) and I had issues with the line dropping because the RJ11 cable was not making good contact due to it being a combi RJ45 socket in the MK3.

In comparison the original ADSL v1.0 I have on my main line has been very reliable.  I'd replace the MK3 with one, if I could find one.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2020, 03:32:07 AM »

I agree with Alex. I have one new-type NTE5C socket and I should like to replace that with the old NTE5A.

The NTE5c was installed in summer 2018, if I recall correctly. Is there a chance that mine is an NTE5C mk. 2, bearing in mind that the unit could have been a mk. 1 which had been lurking in the engineer’s van for some time? Is there a way to tell?

tubaman

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2020, 07:41:59 AM »

As per Mr b**cat I am puzzled at how you have wired it. This should be a plug in replacement for your existing faceplate. If you have wired the incoming line to the 2 and 5 IDC connectors and your modem to A and B it won't work as the modem is now on the wrong side of the filter!
If it is wired ok then you have been unlucky and got a faulty one. A lot of low priced electronics is not tested in the factory as it costs more to test than to deal with the complaints/replacements.
 :(
« Last Edit: May 06, 2020, 07:49:01 AM by tubaman »
BT FTTC 55/10 Huawei Cab - Zyxel VMG8924-B10A

zvirus

« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2020, 07:44:16 AM »

Hi,

Apologies to everyone!

It works. I suppose to do "nothing" regarding wiring. Remove an old plate and put new one...

I started fiddling with the wires and connected them straight to the plate and figured out these terminals are for EXTENSION (stupid me)

Misunderstood this GREAT tutorial:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LKoyZYe5YW4

Working PERFECT and getting (almost) full speed... for some reason upload never goes beyond 8.5Mbps.
Download speed 39.99Mbps

Cheers!
« Last Edit: May 06, 2020, 07:54:15 AM by zvirus »
Virgin M200 200/20

With QoS turned ON...

zvirus

« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2020, 07:51:03 AM »

As per Mr b**cat I am puzzled at how you have wired it. This should be a plug in replacement for your existing faceplate. If you have wired the incoming line to the 2 and 5 IDC connectors and your modem to A and B it won't work as the modem is now on the wrong side of the filter!
If it is wired ok then you have been unlucky and got a faulty one. A lot of low priced electronics is not tested in the factory as it costs more to test than to deal with the complaints/replacements.
 :(

EXACLTY as you said!!  ;)
It was on the wrong side - I have had long busy day and left this job as the last one and messed up a lot!
Virgin M200 200/20

With QoS turned ON...

tubaman

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2020, 07:51:56 AM »

Good news - you'll now have a spare when the BT one arrives!
 ;D

zvirus

« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2020, 07:56:33 AM »

Thanks for all inputs - You are bunch of good people here. I have learned so much last few weeks from this forum! And still learning every day...

Cheers! :)
Virgin M200 200/20

With QoS turned ON...

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2020, 06:33:57 PM »

EXACLTY as you said!!  ;)
It was on the wrong side - I have had long busy day and left this job as the last one and messed up a lot!

On reading your initial post, I started to get "tingles in the whiskers" when I noticed that you mentioned "Orange to IDC 2, White to IDC 5".

In a "Dropwire 10" (CW1411) there are four wires presented as two twisted pairs. The first pair have orange and white coloured insulation while the second pair have green and black coloured insulation.

zvirus

« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2020, 08:22:05 AM »

On reading your initial post, I started to get "tingles in the whiskers" when I noticed that you mentioned "Orange to IDC 2, White to IDC 5".

In a "Dropwire 10" (CW1411) there are four wires presented as two twisted pairs. The first pair have orange and white coloured insulation while the second pair have green and black coloured insulation.

I ve got ONLY this in my Master Box:

https://www.davefrydoes.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2016/04/NTE5A_Wiring_back_IDC_3.jpg

As said - I should have remove old plate and put new one - that`s all - nothing else...

rest of the wires are.... spares? not in use...
« Last Edit: May 09, 2020, 08:28:30 AM by zvirus »
Virgin M200 200/20

With QoS turned ON...

tubaman

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2020, 11:31:42 AM »

I ve got ONLY this in my Master Box:

https://www.davefrydoes.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2016/04/NTE5A_Wiring_back_IDC_3.jpg

As said - I should have remove old plate and put new one - that`s all - nothing else...

rest of the wires are.... spares? not in use...
That's the later NTE5a with IDC connectors (the older ones had screw terminals). As you said you don't touch that bit and just plug your faceplate onto the front of it. You can connect your modem to the A/B terminals of the front plate if you wish as they are unfiltered.
 :)