Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Router Set Up Asus RT-Ax58U  (Read 1524 times)

Bozz

Router Set Up Asus RT-Ax58U
« on: May 06, 2020, 07:43:01 AM »

Morning All

I've splashed out on a HG612 and an ASUS RT-AX58U to replace a HH6 and have a a couple of questions.

So far I have successfully connected my IOT devices to the WiFi guest accounts but my home heating (Tado) requires a LAN connection. Is there anyway I can restrict this device from accessing my internal network like I can with a Guest wifi account?

I have also been having issues with my Firestick which won't connect to the 5Ghz wifi. I understand that this is because it cannot connect to the higher channels but I cannot select a channel when using the Guest wifi.

Subjectively I reckon the performance of the new combination is not as good as the HH6.

Any ideas please?

psychopomp1

• Reg Member
Re: Router Set Up Asus RT-Ax58U
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2020, 09:47:01 AM »

Why are you using the guest wifi network and not the regular/secured wifi network(s) on your router?

The TADO home heating hub needs to be plugged into your router/AP to work properly, not sure why you think it will access your home network?

Bozz

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2020, 10:18:36 AM »

The guest wifi is secure and access to the intranet can be disabled.

I have therfore attached any devices that don't require intranet access to work to the guest accounts.

Can I do the same thing with LAN connected devices i.e. disable intranet access

tubaman

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2020, 10:36:41 AM »

I'm puzzled what you are trying to achieve here as it is usual to connect all of these devices to the regular wifi network.
For things like the Firestick aren't you losing functionality (eg DLNA) by putting them on the Guest network?
 :)
BT FTTC 55/10 Huawei Cab - Zyxel VMG8924-B10A

Bozz

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2020, 11:01:51 AM »

I've never used DLNA in fact I'm not sure what it is tbh.

I'm just trying to maximise my network security.

Maybe I'm overthinking it.

PhilipD

• Reg Member
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2020, 02:15:06 PM »

Hi

You may be worrying too much.  The reason why IoT devices are often on a guest network restricted from your normal LAN is:

1) Performance: Lots of IoT devices can end up being quite chatty with broadcasting packets, so having them on their own network stops those broadcasts arriving everywhere else and potentially slowing things down.  Typically though this isn't an issue for a home network and many IoT gadgets will need to be on the same network to work correctly or be discover-able from your other devices like tablet or phone.

2) Security: Some IoT devices have had a bad press for being able to be hacked into and often be made to reveal the Wi-Fi password, someone potentially could then sit outside your house and join your Wi-Fi network and do things that probably isn't legal.  If they can only join a locked down Guest network you restrict them from accessing your more important devices.  Has this actually happened to anyone?  A lot of things need to be lined up in a row for this to happen.

Given 99.9% of people don't bother doing any of the above and don't have any issues, with a large percentage just using silly default passwords or unsecured Wi-Fi, all you need to do is have strong passwords and keep things up to date and any hackers will move on to far easier targets.

Regards

Phil

« Last Edit: May 06, 2020, 02:17:17 PM by PhilipD »

mrk26

• Reg Member
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2020, 03:08:11 PM »

One of the benefits on asus routers is that than through mobile app you can block access to Internet for any device connected to your router.

Bozz

« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2020, 03:12:51 PM »

Thanks for all the replies so far.

I can't get the router app to work because my SSID's don't contain the router type

Any clues?

mrk26

• Reg Member
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2020, 03:17:30 PM »

Never had that issue, however internet access can be blocked from router GUI as well.

hushcoden

• Reg Member
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2020, 01:58:11 PM »

So far I have successfully connected my IOT devices to the WiFi guest accounts but my home heating (Tado) requires a LAN connection. Is there anyway I can restrict this device from accessing my internal network like I can with a Guest wifi account?

Have a read at this thread https://www.snbforums.com/threads/force-lan-port-4-to-use-the-guest-network-for-asus-merlin-rt-ac68u.18969/ maybe it might help...

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2020, 03:18:19 PM »

Have a read at this thread https://www.snbforums.com/threads/force-lan-port-4-to-use-the-guest-network-for-asus-merlin-rt-ac68u.18969/ maybe it might help...

The OP's Asus model isn't supported by Merlin's firmware.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

hushcoden

• Reg Member
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2020, 04:00:04 PM »

The OP's Asus model isn't supported by Merlin's firmware.
Actually, before posting I did check here: https://github.com/RMerl/asuswrt-merlin.ng/wiki/Supported-Devices

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2020, 07:13:38 PM »

Actually, before posting I did check here: https://github.com/RMerl/asuswrt-merlin.ng/wiki/Supported-Devices

Ah my mistake.

It wasn't supported when I was looking at this device just a few months ago.
Nice to see the new devices added.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM