Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

Author Topic: General election 2019: Labour pledges free broadband for all  (Read 5913 times)

dee.jay

• Helpful
  • Reg Member
Re: General election 2019: Labour pledges free broadband for all
« Reply #30 on: November 15, 2019, 03:28:31 PM »

I just want Brexit over with and not have quite a healthy and invested market (in my opinion) essentially decimated at gov's fingertips. I think all parties are a bit sh*te, but at least I know Labour is very much out of the running for me in this election - they stepped too far away from targeting the working class and seem to be going too far towards the direction of national debt and appealing to the economically inactive voters. It sorta ties in to the other thread where this dreamland is very much the ideal for younger voters - those a bit wet behind the ears, especially 16/17 year olds no doubt (not saying some adults also don't live in this reality, however).

This will be why they suddenly wanted to rush through 16/17 year old voters for this election too. It's all about stopping Brexit, because it goes against what the "establishment" want
AAISP 1000/115 FTTP routed by opnsense on proxmox. Even my WiFi is baller

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #31 on: November 15, 2019, 04:44:45 PM »

Pity those North of the border, if they favour remaining in the UK.      The SNP finally got the go-ahead for their long awaited independence referendum in 2014.   They played their trump card by allowed children to vote, yet it wasn’t quite enough, they lost.   

Response?   Never mind, they’ll have another referendum, and another, and another, until the population votes correctly.  Then the referendums will presumable stop.    Makes me slightly ashamed to be Scottish tbh which I am by birth, parentage, ancestry, and upbringing. 

Rest of UK is not quite that bad, but I suspect we’re heading that way.  :(

johnson

• Reg Member
« Reply #32 on: November 15, 2019, 04:56:29 PM »

Jesus guys, are you really going to make me add News Articles to the ignored boards list?

re0

• Reg Member
« Reply #33 on: November 15, 2019, 05:09:54 PM »

Never mind, they’ll have another referendum, and another, and another, until the population votes correctly.  Then the referendums will presumable stop.
I love democracy, but that seems to be the absurd reality where you could end up voting over and over again on the same matter every day, week or month and you would just get constantly different results, but the result you get might not be good enough. Brexit could be the same situation, so what is it gonna be? Another one after the election just in case we've changed our minds? How about another two and make it best of three just to be sure?

Jesus guys, are you really going to make me add News Articles to the ignored boards list?
Unfortunately, when there is a post regarding a political party making a pledge, it's going to be pretty hard to steer clear of political discussion and debate relating to that party, related parties, and maybe even a couple of things that may not have a direct link.

Anyway, the point is that Labour has made a stupid pledge and hopefully no other parties follow suit.
ISP: Gigaclear - Hyperfast 900 (up to 940 Mbps symmetrical)

dee.jay

• Helpful
  • Reg Member
« Reply #34 on: November 15, 2019, 05:19:35 PM »

Absolutely, politics is what has triggered this news piece in the first place!

dee.jay

• Helpful
  • Reg Member
« Reply #35 on: November 15, 2019, 05:21:23 PM »

Pity those North of the border, if they favour remaining in the UK.      The SNP finally got the go-ahead for their long awaited independence referendum in 2014.   They played their trump card by allowed children to vote, yet it wasn’t quite enough, they lost.   

Response?   Never mind, they’ll have another referendum, and another, and another, until the population votes correctly.  Then the referendums will presumable stop.    Makes me slightly ashamed to be Scottish tbh which I am by birth, parentage, ancestry, and upbringing. 

Rest of UK is not quite that bad, but I suspect we’re heading that way.  :(

Well a lot of the UK have moaned on for years about a second referendum, a PEOPLES VOTE. People didn't know what they voted for - I find it all quite insulting. I knew what I voted for! I don't need another referendum, thanks, and nor does anyone else. I think they all blissfully assumed it would be remain, and were simply not prepared to carry out "Leave" because they thought they never had to!

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #36 on: November 15, 2019, 05:30:12 PM »

Indeed.   I can just imagine the politicians (all parties) meeting after the vote, to decide how to proceed.

Chairman:    “We must respect the referendum, and work out how to respond.  But are we all agreed, the one thing we absolutely will not do, is to leave the EU?”

Huge chorus of agreement, and big rounds of applause. :)

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #37 on: November 15, 2019, 07:38:18 PM »

Whilst I, as have others, have broken with the “No politics” convention, and I personally don’t feel like stopping...

...Many thanks to Roseway for moving this thread from ‘news’ to ‘chit chat’.  A much better home for it. :)

dee.jay

• Helpful
  • Reg Member
« Reply #38 on: November 15, 2019, 07:45:45 PM »

Yes probably a sensible move, haha!

g3uiss

• Kitizen
  • You never too old to learn but soon I may be
    • Midas Solutions
« Reply #39 on: November 15, 2019, 10:02:44 PM »

S'alright, we'll be holding another election on December 13th, 14th and 15th until the correct result comes out.

I guess that’s why I’ve decided not to vote anymore. It seems a worthless exercise. I’m not political but the claims by all the parties to my basic mind are flawed I really struggle to understand who actually believes the basic inaccuracies and unaffordable consequences.

Tony
Cerebus FTTP 500/70 Draytec 2927 VOXI 4G fallback.

dee.jay

• Helpful
  • Reg Member
« Reply #40 on: November 15, 2019, 10:12:49 PM »

I guess that’s why I’ve decided not to vote anymore. It seems a worthless exercise. I’m not political but the claims by all the parties to my basic mind are flawed I really struggle to understand who actually believes the basic inaccuracies and unaffordable consequences.

Tony

Well, we haven't had a 2nd referendum on Brexit, so there should be hope from that. A lot of Labour voters these days seem to not understand the unaffordable consequences that you mention...

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #41 on: November 15, 2019, 10:58:02 PM »

Well, we haven't had a 2nd referendum on Brexit, so there should be hope from that. A lot of Labour voters these days seem to not understand the unaffordable consequences that you mention...

Its not necessarily unaffordable if you're using joined-up thinking rather than just doing something and ignoring how it impacts everything else.

Are Labour using joined-up thinking here?  I'm honestly not sure.

On the one hand I think nationalising infrastructure is GOOD.  Splitting off telecoms, water, gas, electricity, has made a complete mess of those things.

On the other hand, I don't think having just one national ISP is a great idea due to the many issues we have discussed - not least our privacy and content filtering potential.  I also think its bad timing, with Openreach FINALLY deciding to push forward with Fibre First.  I think it will impact me personally in that my exchange being due to start being worked on any time now, will probably now get delayed until after the election.  If Labour do get in I'd imagine it would be delayed even more, due to the uncertainty of how things are going to proceed.

There are just far too many pressing issues the government would need to deal with BEFORE taking over Openreach, and the potential legal challenges they will get from that.  Its likely to delay FTTP roll out longer than just leaving Openreach to their own devices at this point.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

re0

• Reg Member
« Reply #42 on: November 16, 2019, 03:25:34 AM »

Looks like Openreach is getting ready for Labour's free service for all. :lol:

Disclaimer: I'm joking
ISP: Gigaclear - Hyperfast 900 (up to 940 Mbps symmetrical)

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #43 on: November 16, 2019, 07:38:40 AM »

On the one hand I think nationalising infrastructure is GOOD.  Splitting off telecoms, water, gas, electricity, has made a complete mess of those things.

Perhaps you're too young to remember the seventies, and the complete mess the nationally run industries were in, I was still a young child but have vauge memories. I asked someone yesterday who is a lot old than me, and he said they were a complete mess.

Just remember the NHS is basically a government run company, do you want that repeated across all our utilities?

I think nationalised services are run with a different mindset, everything goes well over budget because people just think it's only the governments money.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2019, 07:41:10 AM by Ronski »
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 550/52  ;D

johnson

• Reg Member
« Reply #44 on: November 16, 2019, 08:33:58 AM »

Perhaps you're too young to remember

Perhaps you are too old to realise you are being condescending to the only participant of this thread to offer any kind of reasonable debate?
« Last Edit: November 16, 2019, 08:36:04 AM by johnson »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6