Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Intermittent Line Noise causing Broadband woes  (Read 2395 times)

NoisyLions

• Just arrived
Intermittent Line Noise causing Broadband woes
« on: June 07, 2008, 07:48:35 PM »

A few weeks ago I was experiencing intermittent noise on my phone line which was causing intermittent Broadband line drops and consequent severe speed degradation (download speed eventually dropped to 15 kBp/s !

I noticed that the problem was worse when the weather was warm/very warm - however as the weather cooled down the noise diminished and the line speed improved. A BT engineer came out to look into the fault but due to the intermittent nature of the fault he couldn't find a problem - by then the weather was on the cool-down anyhow so the fault was easing off.

Naturally for test purposes I disconnected all my equipment, changed filters, used only the master socket, etc all to no avail. Also tried a different router.

Since then the weather has been relatively cool but over the past few days has started to warm up again and yes, you guessed it, the fault is starting to re-appear. Only two line drops so far (one 3 days ago, one a few minutes ago) but intermittent noise on the phone line (although the automated BT test declares that the line is okay - I must be using it at the wrong moment!). Broadband download speed has dropped back to 200 kBp/s (used to be over double that).

An engineer is coming out on Monday but no doubt the noise will still be intermittent and he'll say 'no fault found' or similar.

So what can I do?

The fault is obviously heat (or sunlight?) related, but how do I convince BT to get the problem sorted?

Thanks

Ezzer

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
Re: Intermittent Line Noise causing Broadband woes
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2008, 08:02:43 PM »

do you have a cable running past a replacement window or door frame. between the frame and house srtucture. or secondry glazing fitted ?

NoisyLions

• Just arrived
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2008, 08:12:41 PM »

Not that I'm aware of, no.

I should also say that I've lived here for a few years and Broadband was enabled a few years ago - it's only during the past few weeks that the problem has started and nothing has been changed in terms of cabling, no structural changes to the property, no new windows, doors, etc.

Ezzer

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2008, 09:07:14 PM »

It's just I've mainly had this symptom where replacement doors or windows have been fitten which bear up to a cable. when it gets warm the aluminium in the frame expands and presses up against the cable and in severe cases will contact the copper so causing a fault

NoisyLions

• Just arrived
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2008, 09:10:05 PM »

Interesting, thanks for the suggestion.

J.Man

• Reg Member
  • When PC's couldnt get any worse there came Vista
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2008, 12:15:20 PM »

I think I understand your problem I have heard that on long lines hot days tend to cause the copper to expand making the line even longer so maybe that could be the noise spike but then again im not a proffesional in this proffesion.