Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Does a filtered NTE5 faceplate confer immunity from analogue extension problems?  (Read 3470 times)

hake

• Reg Member
  • Owzat! On ya way, back to the pavilion!

Does a filtered NTE5 faceplate (mine is by ADSLNation) confer ADSL signal immunity from analogue extension problems?

PlusNet support has been testing my line and says that it believes that a telephone extension connected device is the cause of the problem.  I was told to test by connecting the router directly to the master socket (faceplate removed).  I have already done this and saw that the DMT trace I ran using a BT Voyager 2100 revealed occasional kicks in the SNR margin trace (though greatly improved compared with the tests done when the router was connected to the extension cable prior to fitting the filtered faceplate).

Fortunately, since installing the filtered faceplate, the disconnect situation is fairly infrequent and therefore tolerable.  Performance is acceptable (approx 4000 kbps).
Windows XP

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats

"Immunity" is perhaps overstating what the filtered faceplate does. It puts a filter between your ADSL modem/router and all of your extension wiring, so the latter will no longer act as a sort of aerial picking up interference to degrade the ADSL signal. How well it does this depends on the quality of the filter of course; the ADSLNation one is good, but nothing is perfect.

Also, I think that there are probably some extension wiring faults which can still affect the ADSL performance. The obvious case would be a complete short circuit between the wires, but in that case the telephones wouldn't work and you might notice that. :) There are probably other lesser faults which can have an effect, for example something which introduces a very high level of interference which could still break through to the ADSL side.

All this is speculation, and the best thing you can do is to inspect your extension wiring very carefully. Make sure that the same wire colours are connected to the same terminals everywhere and remake any loose connections. Check out any other wires running parallel and close to the telephone wires.

Sorry I can't be more specific.
  Eric

hake

• Reg Member

Thanks Eric.
Windows XP

Ezzer

• Helpful
  • Kitizen

Roseway's reply is very close to the mark. primaraly the filter (be it the micro filter you get for each socket with some apperatus plugged into it or the full face plate you have) is mainly trying to filter the sort of induction (radio) signals similar to broadband from your broadband.

Other erronious voltages, short circuits etc can also be upsetting the dsl signal regardless of the filter as this isn't what the filter can guard against, so you may have some apperatus plugged in or a fault on your internal wiring which causes problems on your connection. It may even be a faulty front plate (lightning,damp, physical blows may be the cause here).

If you get a difference with front plate and test socket - would disconnect the inenternal wiring from the front plate to see if its the plate,

If not reconnect the internal wiring and dissconnect all apperatus, next step if it's apperatus, plug each one back in one by one till the problem reoccurs.

if its the internal wiring then first have you got more than one lot of wires in the face plate then re/dis-connect one lot at a time. If this reveals a suspect or you have one lot of internal wiring comming away then find a socket junction box mid way and disconnect here and keep repeating until you can identifi a suspect lenght, then you can either inspect this bit or replace it any way.

Your normal telephony works differently, actual + and - voltage on the line. your telephony works like your speaker wires. Broadband more like a radio signal trapped within the wires. (the router/modem is like a radio which converts that signal to something the computer can hear as a radio converts radio signal to something you can hear. Only unlike dial up the modem is listening to lots of radio stations at the same time and blending the whole into one vast mush of info for the pc hence the expresion BROADband.)
Dispite working this way, any other conditions thrown on the wiring physicaly can also affect the dsl. your ISP may be getting some sort of condition on the line when requesting a line test. Only thing is it your wiring or in the net work

Phew can I do war and piece

hake

• Reg Member

Thanks for the trouble you have all taken to compose those thoughts for me.

I disconnected all extension wires on 1, 4 and 6 on all points and gave 2, 3 and 5 a firm prod with a high quality punch down tool, again on all points.  However, the culprit seems to be a 15 year-old VCR which is failing functionally as well as electrically.  I disconnected this venerable piece of equipment from the mains and the SmartAX MT882 router has since held a connection for thirteen hours.  As the man who jumped off the Empire State Building was heard to say as he passed the 70th floor, "So far, so good".  The SNR margin figures are stable at 16dB (down) and 9dB (up).

I assume that the ADSL and analogue telephone extension wiring will act as an aerial for RF put out by duff electrical equipment.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2008, 11:00:13 AM by hake »
Windows XP

mr_chris

• Kitizen

I assume that the ADSL and analogue telephone extension wiring will act as an aerial for RF put out by duff electrical equipment.

I'm no expert, but I presume it must do. However hopefully the filter is able to block enough interference on the ADSL spectrum to make it much less noticeable in all but the most extreme cases.

Fingers crossed by the way :)
Chris