Chat > Tech Chat

Interleave - psychology

<< < (9/9)

kitz:

--- Quote from: Weaver on July 12, 2018, 11:34:53 PM ---Chrys - exactly. I myself think, "ooh good, I have a high interleave depth, that might mean the possibility of a faster sync rate".

--- End quote ---

???  I myself think there goes a good chunk of my sync speed, plus delay :(

--- Quote ---So could the answer be that you happen to get an additional phenomenon kicking into place when you choose a setting called 'interleave' but the name is misleading because it comes with a free side dish of onion rings that you did not order?
--- End quote ---

Yup.  RS Error Correction is almost always turned on at the same time as interleaving. 

--- Quote from: kitz on July 10, 2018, 03:04:29 AM ---It's not so much interleaving that reduces the sync speed, but rather the fact RS encoding that comes with interleaving incurs overheads which reduces the available sync speed.

--- End quote ---

One of the things I kept pointing out during the introduction of G.INP is that people tend to use the word Interleaving when really we should be saying Error Protection.   In short, you have INP which uses Interleaving and FEC (RS encoding).  Then you have G.INP which uses retransmission.

Ixel:
Unless you're using a modem which has a Lantiq/Infineon chipset, in which case RS is applied on the downstream whether fastpath or not.

I happen to notice when 'traditional interleaving' is applied. My thoughts are something along the lines of "a bit of sync rate lost and increased latency". As a person who plays quite a bit of first person shooter games online I notice the difference (as strange as it might sound to some), so I much prefer the lowest latency possible. I'd rather have a slightly reduced sync rate instead of 'traditional interleaving'.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version