Chat > Tech Chat

Interleave - psychology

<< < (8/9) > >>

ejs:

--- Quote from: Weaver on July 11, 2018, 03:35:55 PM ---I wonder if people consider that high interleave depth can have large performance benefits

--- End quote ---

The interleaving depth number is largely irrelevant, but yes, lots of people probably do think that a larger depth number is "more interleaving", and then people will be watching their stats, and if they see line rate and interleaving depth both go down slightly, they'll erroneously conclude that the reason for this must have been the DLM turning down the interleaving depth a little.

niemand:
Interleave takes its toll with serial transactions and the extra delay introduced. Nothing to do with throughput as far as browsing goes.

I've used a modem with old firmware and had interleave applied due to behaviour of Openreach DSLAMs and noticed almost immediately. Nothing to do with psychology and I don't obsessively monitor my connection so wasn't aware objectively that it was there.

ejs:
None of which really answers the original question though.

I take it then that pretty much everyone here is of the opinion that all the people complaining about interleaving will be doing so for perfectly valid reasons largely originating from the additional delay? And it's got nothing to do with people knowing that their line has got worse? You may have noticed the change, but would you be complaining if your line were always like that?

Chrysalis:
I understand now Weaver, so do people complain simply because they can because they interleaved without understanding the pros and cons of it?

Some probably do yes. But as ignition has said, there is also valid complaints, as interleaving does impact performance in a way that can be noticed.

Weaver:
Chrys - exactly. I myself think, "ooh good, I have a high interleave depth, that might mean the possibility of a faster sync rate".

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version