Announcements > Site Announcements

Forum mail problem for those using Microsoft email addresses - Again!

<< < (2/10) > >>

Weaver:
Regarding emails sent out, it is good that there an SPF record (for example) set up on the kitz.co.uk domain - I assume that is the email From: domain?

Is there anything we could suggest to help boost Kitz' mail sender reputation further ?

I am also wondering if anyone is impersonating you by sending fake emails to MS (for example) with spoofed From: addresses that match your domains.

kitz:

--- Quote from: Weaver on June 10, 2018, 05:29:26 PM ---Regarding emails sent out, it is good that there an SPF record (for example) set up on the kitz.co.uk domain - I assume that is the email From: domain?

--- End quote ---

Yes - I've done absolutely everything by the book.   There is no reason at all way they should do this.
btw they say they're not blocking on the domain, but on the server IP so that makes it even weirder

It concerns me that this time they have responded with "conditionally mitigated" whereas in the past they just said "mitigated".   Mind you fat lot of good that was when I still get blocked every few months. 

--- Quote ---Is there anything we could suggest to help boost Kitz' mail sender reputation further ?
--- End quote ---

Those members who have MS mail services not just straight sending PM notifications to the recycle bin and marking them as good is about all I can think.

The other alternative reading between the lines of the full email from them is that someone marked mail from this IP as spam.  I have no idea why a forum member would deliberately mark notifications as junk mail..  but thats getting into the realms of paranoia so I'm not going there.. and going to assume (hope) that was standard script.

Bear in mind I am not alone in this problem, since it began I have had several emails from people who I've never heard of before asking my advice how I managed MS to mitigate my server because they are having the same problems and finding it extremely difficult to get their own server unblocked.
MS even blacklisted TalkTalk mail and a couple of other prominent UK websites a few months ago so it shows you how pathetic their system is. 

--- Quote ---I am also wondering if anyone is impersonating you by sending fake emails to MS (for example) with spoofed From: addresses that match your domains.
--- End quote ---

I think over about the past six months I've seen bounce messages for just 2 or 3 spoofed from the domain name..  certainly no more than half a dozen.   Because I have set up SPF & DKIM.... and the fact they blacklist the IP (not the domain) would suggest this is not the reason.
As discussed in one of the threads on one of the previous occasions, they base it on behaviour of recipients of mail from me.    So someone getting lots of PM and thread notifications who send them straight to recycle bin negatively impacts me.

Thus I feel I have a valid reason to refuse any forum signups from MS mail.   My personal mail (but on a different account & domain name) is also sent from the same server, so it means that I also can't mail any of my personal contacts with MS mail either because the block is IP based.

atm I could block signups from MS mail..  but the side effect is that it would ban members already registered with MS mail accounts.  :(

Chrysalis:
Weaver I have seen it myself on servers, valid DKIM, SPF, RDNS, Helo, headers etc.  Clean IP,domain on blacklists but blocked by hotmail.  Its Microsoft's systems been unreliable.

In regards to blocking freemail, I am registered on a lot of forums and other free sites, I would say roughly 1/2 block freemail, and some of these are quite large communities.

If you considering blocking MS kitz, then perhaps give a month notice for people to update their contact email address.

Weaver:
Hotmail admins are just hurting themselves as well as their customers by this lack of clue.

j0hn:
I don't think anyone mentioned blocking freemail... that would kill the forum in a heartbeat.
Gmail is freemail.

I don't think I've ever attempted to register for a site that has blanket banned all free mail providers.

Actually I've only ever seen MS provided email addresses being blocked from signups, with the main reason given that the verification email goes straight to spam.

I haven't paid for email since I signed up for gmail beta many years ago.
My Demon email subscription was allowed to expire shortly after.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version