Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: New Huawei modem suggestions for FTTC please?  (Read 1985 times)

AnthonyG

New Huawei modem suggestions for FTTC please?
« on: March 13, 2018, 10:40:54 AM »

I was hoping someone could recommend a new Huawei modem for me please. The reason I am asking this is because I currently have a Huawei HG612 (with the latest custom firmware from this forum on it). But my internet connection is stabilising at only 32.6mb/s.

My next door neighbour however on my semi-detached house is getting a stable connection of 43.8mb/s. We are both served by the same Huawei FTTC cabinet (for definite its a Huawei).

My setup;
MK3 VDSL Plate > HG612 modem > Asus AC56U Router with latest Merlin Firmware.

My next door neighbour;
MK4 VDSL Plate > BT Smart Hub 6 modem router doing everything.

I am on Plustnet. My Neighbour BT. But they used to be on Plusnet and got the same speeds as they do now. I have no issues with my line according to DSL checker (no line taps or anything).

I tried upgrading from my MK2 Faceplate to a brand new MK3 and my speeds have actually dropped by ~1-2mb/s but I am not going to put the MK2 back as everywhere I have read the MK3 is better.

My next step is I am thinking of replacing the Huawei HG612 as its an old modem and I am thinking new tech/chipsets may have improved on it from Huawei.

I have seen a mention of a HG658c that people are buying from ebay as Vodaphone give them away for free and adding custom firmware to this. But I am not sure if this is the latest model as googling about it. It seems this was released in 2014 so I am thinking there may be a newer model.

I am in two minds of just getting myself a BT Smart Hub 6 and using this as just a modem. But I am not sure from all I have read you should match your modem with the FTTC cabinet.

Any suggestions to get my internet speeds up to those similar to my neighbour please?

skyeci

• Kitizen
    • Line stats
Re: New Huawei modem suggestions for FTTC please?
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2018, 11:02:29 AM »

hub6 cannot be just a modem. it does not support bridge mode.

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2018, 11:16:56 AM »

I would not bother with a Huawei modem/router as some of them can be problematic getting stats from (if you use DSLStats) and most are ex-ISP which can also lead to problems. I currently have a Netgear D6220 which will run in bridge mode and works well (as a combined unit) on my ECI cabinet and runs DSLStats OK. I have not tried it in bridge mode. Not sure if you can load alternative f/w on it as I have not investigated that. I have also had ZyXEL VMG8234/8924/3925 units which I also believe will run as modem only but again I've always used them as combined units.

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2018, 11:28:08 AM »

As others have said, forget about Huawei. For use in bridge mode, many people here would recommend the Zyxel VMG1312-B10A. Make sure that you get the B10A version, not the B10D. I've personally used the Zyxel VMG8324 in bridge mode, and found it excellent too.
  Eric

jelv

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2018, 11:35:12 AM »

Could you confirm that the speed difference you are reporting is a difference in modem sync speed and not the results from speed tests?
Broadband and Line rental: Zen Unlimited Fibre 2, Mobile: Vodaphone
Router: Fritz!Box 7530

AnthonyG

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2018, 11:45:15 AM »

Could you confirm that the speed difference you are reporting is a difference in modem sync speed and not the results from speed tests?
It's both usage speed. As in what is being obtained downloading and also looking at line speed inside the router itself.

I do not believe there is a way to get actual line stats from the BT Homehub 6?

Dave2150

• Reg Member
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2018, 01:53:22 PM »

It's both usage speed. As in what is being obtained downloading and also looking at line speed inside the router itself.

I do not believe there is a way to get actual line stats from the BT Homehub 6?

Sure you can. Advanced settings > enter password > Technical log