Broadband Related > Broadband Hardware

ZyXEL router sensitive to Mains Power Supply?

<< < (2/6) > >>

jelv:
Surely the UPS should negate any power supply defects?

tubaman:

--- Quote from: jelv on August 17, 2017, 08:17:08 AM ---Surely the UPS should negate any power supply defects?

--- End quote ---

It depends on which type of UPS is being used. Domestic ones are often of the 'Standby' type that only switch in the inverter when the power fails, so you are still running off of the raw mains.
 :)

loveextasy:

--- Quote from: Iam_TJ on August 16, 2017, 11:20:03 PM ---I very much suspect you've got a problem with your mains electrical supply.

Please tell us which country/area you're in and what the standard AC mains voltage and frequency is.

Can you identify a pattern of regular times or gaps between events from the UPS/NAS logs you're capturing?

Do you live close to an industrial area where there may be large machines putting heavy load on your local sub-station (transformer) ?

Do you have any high-demand equipment switching on and off several times a day, e.g. air conditioning unit. If you're on a shared supply does one or more of your neighbours have such equipment operating when you experience problems?

Are your shared-supply neighbours also using network powerline equipment - that signal could be affecting your supply ?

Have you tried - as a test to rule in or out the mains electrical supply - operating the router from a 12 volt battery (e.g. a car battery) ?

--- End quote ---

Thanks for your reply :)

I am in the UK, Dartford area (Southeast to London, just outside M25), semi-suburban residential area.

The events are irregular, but only happen when the router restarts. It then reports 4 sets of repeated events (lost connection to UPS, restored connection to UPS), and interval will only be <5 seconds between any of them.

The closest industrial area is about 2 miles away crow-fly distance, but I'm not sure if we are sharing the local sub-station. But some of the evens are happening during the night, so I don't think it is the main reason.

I don't know whether the neighbours' are using powerline equipment :(

No, never tried on battery - and don't know if that can diagnose the problem - sometimes it can take up to 3 days for the next random rebooting to happen.

By the way, I am using a domestic APC Back-up ES550 UPS. I have had some power losses and the NAS hasn't lost power supply thanks to it, and during some of the mains power lost, the router managed to maintain power supply as well.

So it is really confusing, the only thing I can think of is the router's fault, but I have been replaced with ZyXEL for 3 units already, and all of them have the same issue...

Thanks again!

tubaman:
Have you tried plugging the router directly into the mains to rule out any issues with the UPS?

loveextasy:

--- Quote from: tubaman on August 17, 2017, 01:34:37 PM ---Have you tried plugging the router directly into the mains to rule out any issues with the UPS?

--- End quote ---

Yes - the UPS was bought to solve it, but apprently failed  :(

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version