Broadband Related > Broadband Hardware

ZyXEL router sensitive to Mains Power Supply?

(1/6) > >>

loveextasy:
Hi all,

I have got a very annoying problem with my SBG3300 router....

It was fine a year ago, however after I used a Powerline adaptor to form a cabled network between up and down-stairs the problem happened and never ends (well, until now)

I realised the router reboot itself randomly after 1-2 days of the Powerline use, then I doubt it might be the issue so removed the Powerline, but not good, problem still there. Then I switched the ZyXEL power adaptor with another one that is the same spec but different brand, it seemed to improved a little bit - from 4 times' reboot to once per day (or might be less than once per day).

I then asked ZyXEL's customer support but they said they did not experience such problem before and asked for an RMA but the replace unit acting the same, slight improvement to 2-3 days per reboot, and I can live on with that.

However the last unit became faulty last month so I have to send it back to CS again for a replacement, and they give me a slightly different model: SBG3300-NB00 (Annex B) instead of the faulty's N000 (Annex A), then the problem become the worst, 1-2 reboots per day. I decided to buy an UPS trying to solve it.

Not really the solution though - Router still rebooting, but I noticed the Synology NAS which connected to UPS, reporting "Connection lost to UPS" and "Connected to UPS", only 1-5 seconds between these 2 status, and happened 3-4 times within a very short period of time (might be within 1 min).

By the way, even the NAS which connected to the same UPS is still running good (and that's why I can get the "UPS connections" logs/messages).

So, just wondering if anyone else has the same issue or can give any advice to it please? Also wondering if change the router to another brand and model would solve it (i.e. TP-Link VR600 or ASUS DSL-AC88)?

Thanks a lot in advance!

Regards,
Chong

loveextasy:
To update:

seems like it is the router's firmware problem..... contacted technical support of ZyXEL and they asked me to update the firmware to the latest 1.01 C6 and seems like the issue is gone - continuously running for more than a week now, so I believe it should be solved.

However did not understand that this issue kept happening to me for more than 1.5 years including the previous N000 and the replaced NB00 both if which were released more than 2 years ago but seems like the issue was just solved in 2017 (pretty sure the firmware release date is March or April 2017)....don't know if this issue was only discovered by me, or it is really hard to solve :(

burakkucat:
It looks as if it was a very specific problem and nobody here could think of anything to suggest for you to try.  :(

I'm pleased to know that the problem does now appear to be solved.  :fingers:

loveextasy:

--- Quote from: burakkucat on June 05, 2017, 03:04:58 PM ---It looks as if it was a very specific problem and nobody here could think of anything to suggest for you to try.  :(

I'm pleased to know that the problem does now appear to be solved.  :fingers:

--- End quote ---

Thanks for your post :)

Now the problem seems to be happening again. The reason I thought it was solved I think was because the WiFi did not work for some reason, and I failed to turn it back on without rebooting.

When I had to setup the wireless CCTV I had to reboot to actually allow the WiFi to be working, and after my reboot, it started to reboot itself randomly again, the 1st time I noticed was after 20 hours of my manual switch on and off....

So, I believe this would be because of WiFi or power adaptor issues?

Any ideas or past experience from any of you would be much appreciated.

Thanks a lot in advance!

Iam_TJ:

--- Quote from: loveextasy on August 14, 2017, 04:49:35 PM ---Now the problem seems to be happening again. The reason I thought it was solved I think was because the WiFi did not work for some reason, and I failed to turn it back on without rebooting.

--- End quote ---
I very much suspect you've got a problem with your mains electrical supply.

Please tell us which country/area you're in and what the standard AC mains voltage and frequency is.

Can you identify a pattern of regular times or gaps between events from the UPS/NAS logs you're capturing?

Do you live close to an industrial area where there may be large machines putting heavy load on your local sub-station (transformer) ?

Do you have any high-demand equipment switching on and off several times a day, e.g. air conditioning unit. If you're on a shared supply does one or more of your neighbours have such equipment operating when you experience problems?

Are your shared-supply neighbours also using network powerline equipment - that signal could be affecting your supply ?

Have you tried - as a test to rule in or out the mains electrical supply - operating the router from a 12 volt battery (e.g. a car battery) ?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version