Computers & Hardware > Networking

LAN setup

<< < (2/30) > >>

underzone:
All the info you will ever need in this series of vids:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=agieD5uiwYY&list=PLE726R7YUJTePGvo0Zga2juUBxxFTH4Bk

;)

skyeci:

--- Quote from: Ronski on November 17, 2016, 08:41:43 PM ---Tempted to build one of these, although would probably go for what skieci has, but purchase direct from PCEngines for just over half the price that LinITX want, although that would mean I have to work out how to install Pfsense

--- End quote ---

I have a usb install stick I made here with serial console support install if you want to borrow it :)

I was having so much packet loss with my old asus I just needed a next day solution to resolve the issues quickly  ::) I did run it on my i7 with 2 lan cards pre purchae - worked just fine but the power consumption was a bit crazy as it was my gaming pc..

Chrysalis:

--- Quote from: Ronski on November 17, 2016, 08:41:43 PM ---Tempted to build one of these, although would probably go for what skieci has, but purchase direct from PCEngines for just over half the price that LinITX want, although that would mean I have to work out how to install Pfsense

--- End quote ---

I read your post and I was thinking hmmmm.

Because I did check the price of the APU2 before (someone else recommended it to me) was over £200 hence what I got instead, but then thought some more about your post and you mentioned direct, and indeed I noticed the buy direct link and its significantly cheaper than the reseller and cheaper then what I have ordered so is the better choice.  Sort of feel an idiot now but I will persist with what I ordered.  What I ordered does come with the casing and is more compact so its not a loss all round.

Ronski:
Thanks Underzone for the link, and skyeci for the offer - I'll see how I get on.

Chrysalis, I only stumbled upon the buy direct option because I was reading this thread and someone asked how he got it so cheap. You can also buy a case from them as well, in a choice of colours. I prefer the looks of yours, but the APU2 has three NICS, so if I ever got a second line it could load balance as well. I'll probably go back to using the HG612 as the modem, my upload is now down to 4192kbps, whilst D/S is now at 50412kbps, and I know the HG612 will give me more upload.

Chrysalis:
The annoyance with mine is it has realtek nic's and the FreeBSD drivers for realtek are not great, I will probably run them with offloading disabled as my experience dictates.  Whilst the APU2 nic's are all intel.  The cpu on the box i am buying however will be fine without checksum offloading its easily powerful enough.

The APU2 is also more future proof as you said with the extra NIC but not just that but also the extra mini pci-e connectivity on board for future addon cards.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version