Computers & Hardware > Networking

LAN setup

<< < (3/30) > >>

skyeci:
Thats also why I went for apu2, 3 Intel lan ports  :)

Chunkers:

--- Quote from: underzone on November 17, 2016, 08:45:27 PM ---All the info you will ever need in this series of vids:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=agieD5uiwYY&list=PLE726R7YUJTePGvo0Zga2juUBxxFTH4Bk

;)

--- End quote ---

These are great, thanks for the link.  I am starting to get excited about the possibility of building my own router :)

underzone:
Yeah me too. When you watch the vid and he says how most routers are 400MHz and 128Mb RAM it makes you realise how good a standalone box @2GHz with 8GB and an SSD could be!

Chunkers:

--- Quote from: Ronski on November 18, 2016, 06:28:50 AM ---Thanks Underzone for the link, and skyeci for the offer - I'll see how I get on.

Chrysalis, I only stumbled upon the buy direct option because I was reading this thread and someone asked how he got it so cheap.

--- End quote ---

I don't want to highjack this thread but have a couple of questions based on your comment and reading through the thread as I really like the idea of getting one, at £140 it seems like a good deal as the 3 NIC version could load balance my dual WAN's:

* Do you need a VAT number to buy this stuff direct?
* One of the posters in the thread talk about how the unit lacks power - would a Celeron unit like Chrysalis is buying be a more fkexible option?
Feel free to feedback if this needs to broken out as a separate thread, I am pretty sure I will be pricing up and getting some hardware for this myself

Chunks

Chrysalis:
My unit has more cpu grunt, but my opinion is the apu2 also has enough grunt comfortably to do its job, both have cpus way more powerful than current high end retail consumer routers.

If I have to I will add intel nic's via the mini pcie connector or even buy an apu2 at a later date, hopefully I am fine on the realtek's tho.

As a comparison my ac68 is running at 1200mhz (overclocked, 800 is stock), but it has no aesni acceleration and has worse performance per clock than both systems.

A big factor in my decision is that the dev of the firmware on my asuswrt has started to imply he is not willing to do bug fixes that only I have found (he is moving into only fixing for the masses mode) and that a lot of the software behind asuswrt is reliant on very old code due to a locked down closed source driver from broadcom.  I had to manually apply some workarounds to get ipv6 fully stable on my sky connection, and the dev refuses to even acknowledge its broken so that was the trigger point for me. Is a shame the unit I have ordered is using realtek nic's as otherwise I would have considered it perfect (assuming one is ok using a separate WAP and gigabit switch).

Bear in mind regarding the number of network ports, pfsense has very good vlan support, it even has a wizard when you first boot it guiding you through vlan setup, this is all done in mind that alot of people will be running pfsense on devices with limited ethernet ports and can allow things like bonded connections to run via a single ethernet cable, its how I managed to as an example share my wan with lan access to my billion 8800nl stats over one cable.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version