Computer Software > Windows 10

How to stop Windows 10 updates

<< < (6/6)

les-70:
  I have windows 10 on a Dell Optiplex 7010.  The single oem licence on that has allowed me to install and use windows xp, windows  7 and two separate windows 10 systems.  It is thus currently a quadruple boot system. One of the 10 systems is only there to test updates!! The only restriction which is not to do with the licence is that xp must on separate disk and not just a separate  partition. 

As far as I can tell the group policy has continued to work but did need reapplying after the anniversary update which left the update policy set as disabled i.e. no policy.  If I don't apply the group policy it does at least always offer the setting of a reboot time and never reboots itself.

The update KB3197954 is not installed and trying it manually gives the message "not applicable to this system".  I am sure this won't help people but may help explain why not everyone finds the same thing.  I assume the DELL Optiplex oem licences are not standard apart from only working on the assigned DELL systems.

The Optiplex's are not high performance but robust quiet and for me almost too reliable machines.  By too reliable I mean that even the oldest, now 12 year old one used as a spare XP just won't die. I hate binning anything that still works!  They are only sold on the business side of the DELL web site. My 7010 cost about £100 on ebay when only about 18 months old.

parkdale:
Could be worth a go to stop windows going to sleep :fingers:
http://www.thewindowsclub.com/prevent-windows-computer-sleep-mouse-jiggler

kitz:
 :D Brilliant idea.  :D

Wonder if it stops my monitors shutting off, I guess it will but I shall give it a go.

----
Anyway I dont know what Ive done, but Ive done something - Possibly WUMT which is running.
When I came to the PC this morning it said there was an update that had been downloaded and needed installing.
The 'update' wasnt a Windows Update, but a Windows Defender update.

d2d4j:
Hi kitz

I'm thinking it's the little program you installed from my post possible, unless you uninstalled it sorry

Many thanks

John

kitz:
@d2d4j  Yes that prog (WUMT as it calls itself) was running,  I think it may be that as well, so thank you.  :)

--- Quote from: kitz on October 30, 2016, 01:18:47 PM --- Anyway I dont know what Ive done, but Ive done something - Possibly WUMT which is running.

--- End quote ---

It hasnt yet had to deal with a proper Windows Update, but I think it must also treat Windows Defender updates in the same way, because a notification on my screen this morning that there was an update ready to install.   The notification was in my notification tray.. not a popup.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version