Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Major Difference In Speed Between Two Properties On Our Lane  (Read 9569 times)

jid

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
Re: Major Difference In Speed Between Two Properties On Our Lane
« Reply #30 on: June 27, 2016, 04:42:16 PM »

Years ago I did something similar to help out a friend with a business.

They ran an online shop, so the speed helped them a bit when it came to adding new items on mass.

I went round there with my trusty toolkit, and thought when leaving the connection was much improved. However, the following day I had to return as due to my "tinkering"(their words) the connection now failed to work at all.

I arrived and it took me a few minutes to realise there was a local outage and was nothing to do with me.

I guess the moral here is don't go tinkering unless you want the hassle afterwards of being blamed. That's all I'll say it's up to you whether or not you should go round there, but they are clearly happy with what they've got :) 
Kind Regards
Jamie

BT FTTP - 75meg | Sky Q |  Bridgend Weather

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #31 on: June 27, 2016, 05:28:11 PM »

Thank the lord, Ronski! Someone understands! Guys, I'm going to just say one more thing, I would try not to break anything and certainly wouldn't attempt anything out of my comfort zone if I was doing some work for someone paid or not. Like I said, I've done similar work to this in the past and I've not broken anything. ;)

I'm not saying go ahead and try and fix your neighbours line, I was just saying the other posters comments were not warranted.  You have the best intentions at heart William, but it doesn't always work out that way.

I have 30 years more experience of life, and some of those experiences include breaking things which I'd intended on fixing, but I made them worse. A lot of things went the right way mind you, but some didn't. It's experience that teaches us when to leave things alone,  and what people are saying is they think its best left alone.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 550/52  ;D

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #32 on: June 27, 2016, 06:47:49 PM »

you haven't posted what speed the broadband availability site quotes they should be receiving. if they are receiving below estimates, I would leave well alone and advise them to contact their ISP.

if they are within the estimates, I would probably also leave it well alone. you have no idea what the condition of the line is for that extra 100m, and it could well be that their connection is running as good as it should.

i don't really understand why you would ask advise on a forum, then get so defensive when others give their advise. looks like the majority are trying to give you helpful advise, not just to criticise or patronize you. some comments were unnecessary, but this is the internet, you have to expect that.

you need to weigh up the pros and cons of tinkering with their connection. a small thank you vs being blamed for ruining their connection. I know what I would do.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

William Grimsley

• Kitizen
    • Newton Poppleford Weather
« Reply #33 on: June 30, 2016, 07:27:54 PM »

As you can see, surprisingly within the estimate. No idea why they're so different to mine (however for some reason my estimate is very low)?

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #34 on: June 30, 2016, 07:47:14 PM »

William I think that says it all, who knows why their system is like that but it is what it is and as such OR would not consider it something which needs fixing. So I agree with all the previous advice to leave well enough alone.

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

William Grimsley

• Kitizen
« Reply #35 on: June 30, 2016, 07:48:56 PM »

Sorry. :no:

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #36 on: June 30, 2016, 07:59:31 PM »

Here's one for you to wonder about. I'm approximately 450 - 500 meters from the cab.

There's a little side road a little further from the cab, some houses get lower estimates than me, but half the houses get estimates of 70+, no idea if they achieve this though.

Number ones line is probably another 40 meters longer than mine, and number 8's is probably another 80 meters or so longer than mine.

Only conclusion I've come to is there must be some decent copper, and there must be some ally lines  :no:
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 550/52  ;D

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #37 on: June 30, 2016, 08:18:49 PM »

that's quite a difference for a property in the same street, only 100m away. like you I would have initially queried the difference in speeds you both get, but seeing as they get just over 20mb and the checker quotes a high of 22.2 (clean) then that adds more weight to the leave well alone argument. There may well be pure copper to your property, then old aluminium cabling between you and the neighbours. count yourself lucky your getting over 40mb from those estimates.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

William Grimsley

• Kitizen
« Reply #38 on: June 30, 2016, 08:42:26 PM »

Yeah, I agree the cable must be aluminium from our DP to our neighbours' DP. I think I am very lucky to say nearly 2 years ago our line on ADSL could never hold sync most evenings.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2016, 08:55:03 PM by William Grimsley »

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #39 on: June 30, 2016, 08:50:29 PM »

I live in a cul-de-sac of 10 houses. The houses opposite have a similar difference in estimate in their favour, as does William's neighbour. I suspect that that side's cable comes from round the corner direct, whilst mine an engineer advised me is linked from a DP further up the road we come off. It could add 100 mtrs or more. In our case that may have arisen from how the estate developed in the 70s. Here the chimneys and flues are a give-away.

William Grimsley

• Kitizen
« Reply #40 on: June 30, 2016, 08:56:04 PM »

I know for a fact that our neighbours' line goes straight past our house.

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #41 on: June 30, 2016, 09:37:31 PM »

It can be very rewarding to update old DIY internal telecom wiring which is not the twisted type to say something like CW1308 with solid copper cores and install this cable from the BT80 junction box if you have one to the NTE5 master socket and add a SSFP MK3 this is as much as you can do to improve the internal side of the circuit and also replace the old data extension cable with CAT5e.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2016, 09:45:31 PM by NewtronStar »

William Grimsley

• Kitizen
« Reply #42 on: June 30, 2016, 10:15:43 PM »

Most of that just went over my head, except the CAT5e bit. :lol:

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #43 on: June 30, 2016, 10:27:13 PM »

Most of that just went over my head, except the CAT5e bit. :lol:

In that case just leave this to an OR Engineer visit but they just use the cables that are in situ they won't re-wire the internal telecom cables unless you pay them to do so.

William Grimsley

• Kitizen
« Reply #44 on: June 30, 2016, 10:29:20 PM »

Wire from junction box to master socket was renewed nearly 2 years ago.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4