Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: ECI dslam upgraded  (Read 23961 times)

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP CF
Re: ECI dslam upgraded
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2016, 05:52:39 PM »

just a heads up my stats will stop for a while as upgrading windows also having to backup a 300gig partition unexpectedly as i need to convert mbr to gpt so it possibly be no stats all night if i dont have time to finish today ,  sorry

actually stats be up whilst backup running

WWWombat

• Kitizen
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2016, 06:31:38 PM »

Very interesting. If you look at Chrysalis' stats on http://www.mydslwebstats.co.uk/ the U/S and D/S power outputs are now exactly the same, identical.

In fact, there are now 3 people on the above site with the low but identical power outputs on ECI cabs. One Sky, one BTW and one Plusnet customer.

That sounds suspiciously like a presentation bug in the modem, rather than anything else.

I wonder why the "Power" column is the only one you can't sort on MDWS?

MikeZ

« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2016, 07:08:27 PM »

Very interesting. If you look at Chrysalis' stats on http://www.mydslwebstats.co.uk/ the U/S and D/S power outputs are now exactly the same, identical.

In fact, there are now 3 people on the above site with the low but identical power outputs on ECI cabs. One Sky, one BTW and one Plusnet customer.

Add me - 'MikeZ' on MDWS. I'm with AAISP (not that it makes any difference to line stats).

underzone

• Reg Member
« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2016, 07:16:47 PM »

I think Chrysalis uses a Billion 8800NL, do you also MikeZ? I am wondering if maybe this model is reporting the power incorrectly or whether MDWS needs a tweak?
« Last Edit: February 04, 2016, 07:21:51 PM by underzone »

MikeZ

« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2016, 07:22:30 PM »

I think Chrysalis uses a Billion 8800NL, do you also MikeZ? I am wondering if maybe this model is reporting the power incorrectly or whether MWDSL needs a tweak?

No, it's an HG612. I was wondering whether to power-cycle it to see if that makes any difference (i.e. switch it off for 30 mins so as not to annoy DLM).

underzone

• Reg Member
« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2016, 07:24:58 PM »

From your stats, it looks like your a long way off from annoying DLM!

MikeZ

« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2016, 07:31:14 PM »

From your stats, it looks like your a long way off from annoying DLM!

Yes, it's been very good at 40/10. I'm regrading to 80/20 a week on Monday so it will be interesting to see how things change...

William Grimsley

• Kitizen
    • Newton Poppleford Weather
« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2016, 07:50:46 PM »

I'm presuming lower power outputs mean higher line rates/stability similar to G.INP?

underzone

• Reg Member
« Reply #23 on: February 04, 2016, 07:53:45 PM »

To be honest with a power output of 5dBm you wouldn't expect it to work, let alone keep the same attainable rate or sync as when it was blasting 13.4dBm down the pair... Probably a reporting glitch as wwwombat said.

WWWombat

• Kitizen
« Reply #24 on: February 04, 2016, 09:15:12 PM »

Lower transmit power means a lower transmitted signal level. At the far end, it would mean lower received signal, which immediately reduces the SNR calculation. Speeds will drop.

A reduction of power level by 9dBm is equivalent to transmitting at one-eighth of the original power.

My rule of thumb is that 3dB of reduced SNR can reduce speeds by 11Mbps for full-speed lines; I think a 9dBm reduction in the power level would map directly to a 9dB reduction in SNR - so yes, you could see a 30Mbps reduction in speed.

My calculation might be out somewhat - I'm never sure when I'm converting between power and signal. But I'd still expect a big reduction in speed.

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #25 on: February 04, 2016, 10:12:11 PM »

would not be to hasty over an ECI cabinet chipset upgrade that things like G.INP or Vectoring is on the horizon if we think back to august 2015 Bald_Eagle1 noticed a change in chipset version on his Huawei cabinet http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php/topic,15950.0.html

and then loads of other members including myself seen the same changes but nothing changed still the same MK2 G.INP and no vectoring.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2016, 10:14:20 PM by NewtronStar »

daveesh1

• Reg Member
« Reply #26 on: February 04, 2016, 11:04:26 PM »

Well thought it was to good to last power has not changed from the  from re-sync this morning still at 6.5/6.5 before re-syns 13.6/6.5  but ES errors are back to there normal levels after creeping up slowly. Will ECI ever get Ginp...

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP CF
« Reply #27 on: February 04, 2016, 11:19:09 PM »

should be graphing again now

tbailey2

• Kitizen
« Reply #28 on: February 05, 2016, 09:06:04 AM »

I wonder why the "Power" column is the only one you can't sort on MDWS?
It's available on the full page User Stats facility but, like a lot of other options, not on the small one that's displayed in a graph size container. The latter is going to be retired shortly as it's too small now for the number of users.

[and now have a correctly working Kitz editor courtesy FireFox Developer Edition....  :D ]

Tony
My Books!
Plusnet 80/20 - DSLstats - HG612/TG582n - ECI

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #29 on: February 05, 2016, 10:59:19 AM »

So am I understanding this correctly.. reducing power means potentially a lower speed?

I'm wondering if this power changing situation as anything to do with preparing G.fast, as I remember one of the issues was supplying power to the G.fast box.

By changing power settings to lines going directly to the cabinet, they might have more power available from the cabinet to the pole for G.fast?

Just my theory.
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

anything