Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: ECI dslam upgraded  (Read 24014 times)

ejs

• Kitizen
Re: ECI dslam upgraded
« Reply #30 on: February 05, 2016, 12:27:57 PM »

While the TX power in each band has stayed roughly the same, the single aggregate has changed from 13.6dBm to 4.8dBm. It doesn't really make sense...

Considering that the reported TX power for each downstream band is about the same as it was before, and that the total bandwidth hasn't decreased, it seems likely that the strength of the signals transmitted from the cabinet haven't actually decreased. So that suggests the single aggregate downstream TX power is being reported incorrectly.

MikeZ

« Reply #31 on: February 05, 2016, 01:56:13 PM »

Are resyncs normal after a DSLAM has been upgraded in this way? My line has had no resyncs for months and has had two or three over the past couple of days.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • AAISP CF
« Reply #32 on: February 05, 2016, 05:04:53 PM »

No, I would only expect a loss of sync during the work but not afterwards.

underzone

• Reg Member
« Reply #33 on: February 05, 2016, 05:49:25 PM »

In the email from MDWS what was the retrain reason? DLM?
« Last Edit: February 05, 2016, 05:56:38 PM by underzone »

gt94sss2

• Kitizen
« Reply #34 on: February 05, 2016, 06:21:45 PM »

Has anything elsechanged on your line? If not at your end, perhaps OR have done something to your line..

Looking at MDWS , they were all caused by DLM. But the first concides with a fall in your line attenuation and your U0 SNRM is up a lot..
« Last Edit: February 05, 2016, 06:23:48 PM by gt94sss2 »

MikeZ

« Reply #35 on: February 05, 2016, 06:54:02 PM »

Has anything elsechanged on your line? If not at your end, perhaps OR have done something to your line..

Looking at MDWS , they were all caused by DLM. But the first concides with a fall in your line attenuation and your U0 SNRM is up a lot..

I don't know how reliable that 'caused by DLM' is. The day before the DSLAM upgrade I had to power the HG612 off for a short while and it classed that as caused by DLM, too.

What does U0 SNRM signify? Is higher worse? It seems to climb after each resync.

Anyway, next Monday I'm switching to 80/20 with a TT backhaul so may well get moved to a different port (which is what has happened to others switching to the new AAISP tariff). We'll see what happens then.

MikeZ

« Reply #36 on: February 05, 2016, 07:41:27 PM »

That last resync at 19:22 was me - I've plugged straight into the master socket, bypassing extension wiring. It seems to have made a difference.

Edit: Gone back to usual setup with filtering faceplate and stats look the same. Maybe just rebooting the HG612 helped.

Anyway, I don't want to take this thread off topic so I'll open a new one if things get bad.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2016, 08:53:06 PM by MikeZ »

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #37 on: February 05, 2016, 08:56:58 PM »

Anyway, next Monday I'm switching to 80/20 with a TT backhaul so may well get moved to a different port (which is what has happened to others switching to the new AAISP tariff). We'll see what happens then.

I wonder with this TT backhaul will your DLM profile change from speed on AAISP to standard on Talktalk  :-\

MikeZ

« Reply #38 on: February 05, 2016, 08:59:47 PM »

I wonder with this TT backhaul will your DLM profile change from speed on AAISP to standard on Talktalk  :-\

I'm still staying with AAISP - they use both BT and TT backhauls.

WWWombat

• Kitizen
« Reply #39 on: February 05, 2016, 09:04:01 PM »

So am I understanding this correctly.. reducing power means potentially a lower speed?

Nearly. Reducing the transmission power has that effect, yes. But the DSLAM uses electrical power for a lot more - all the DSPs will still consume just as much power while doing the signal processing.

Don't expect much of a reduction in the overall power consumption, in kWh, maybe 10%

But, as pointed out elsewhere, it doesn't look like transmit power has actually reduced. If that were the case, speeds would have dropped ... and they haven't.

I'm wondering if this power changing situation as anything to do with preparing G.fast, as I remember one of the issues was supplying power to the G.fast box.

By changing power settings to lines going directly to the cabinet, they might have more power available from the cabinet to the pole for G.fast?

Haha. No, it won't be anything to do with g.fast.

Yes, there is a problem in cost getting power at a g.fast site. It just costs too much to put a new feed in. If they go for a solution where they send power from the FTTC site, it'll be voltage down spare pairs from a separate battery bank, likely fed from the existing supply.

The issue then will be having enough spare pairs, but there won't be an issue with how many amps can be sucked out of the existing supply line - 100A (24kW) on metered supply lines, 25A (6kW) on unmetered supply lines. Almost all FTTC cabinets currently consume less than 0.5kW. You probably need all 288 lines in a full-size Huawei to even reach that.

Power is a scarce commodity until you've paid (handsomely) for a feed. Then you have an abundance.

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #40 on: February 05, 2016, 09:10:07 PM »

Yes but BT uses the Speed profile and TT use the Standard profile

MikeZ

« Reply #41 on: February 05, 2016, 10:03:56 PM »

Yes but BT uses the Speed profile and TT use the Standard profile

TT as an ISP do, yes, but AAISP are just using TT's backhaul - i.e. from the exchange to their premises. The DLM is BT's (OR) so that won't change.

In fact, I've just been told now by AAISP tech staff that the profile will be the same whether via BT or TT backhaul.

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #42 on: February 05, 2016, 10:26:02 PM »

TT as an ISP do, yes, but AAISP are just using TT's backhaul - i.e. from the exchange to their premises. The DLM is BT's (OR) so that won't change.

In fact, I've just been told now by AAISP tech staff that the profile will be the same whether via BT or TT backhaul.

Excellent Mikez your all set for a funky monday an for a smooth transition  ;)

MikeZ

« Reply #43 on: February 05, 2016, 10:27:39 PM »

Excellent Mikez your all set for a funky monday an for a smooth transition  ;)

Fingers crossed :)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #44 on: February 05, 2016, 11:35:11 PM »

yeah its my opinion the cards have been changed, the outage lasted a while and the snrm fluctuations is probably the result of other cables been reconnected after me.

Its my gut guess only.

I did watch the cabinet across the road from me for a bit afterwards but no one from BT showed up there.

Im not sure if the would have changed the cards.   The M41's already contain VTU-C64 line cards (which are vectoring ready) so not sure what they would change them to.

We've tried many times in the past to clearly identify what "Chipset Version Number" actually identifies and there is a strong possibility that any major changes to the firmware can change this number without there being a physical hardware swapout.

As I mentioned in a previous posts on the subject,  the DSLAM chipsets are capable of being reprogrammed in the field - See FPGA.  Using this technology BT can remotely configure what is in effect equivalent to hardware changes.   I'm not talking basic firmware, but using software to make hardware changes.

My theory is that number somehow relates to the FPGA configuration of the chipset...  which can be carried out remotely.  I dont know enough about FPGA to say for sure though.

Actually if ignitionnet is around he may know something a bit more about FPGA & DSLAMs from his days at Easynet?       
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5