Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8

Author Topic: Ultra-long line beyond 63.5 dB attn  (Read 29991 times)

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
Re: Ultra-long line beyond 63.5 dB attn
« Reply #60 on: December 19, 2015, 11:52:49 AM »

I can't see the details on the equipment to the right of the battery-set ….. but I'm guessing it's a rectifier unit ?? From my very poor memory, the ones I used to work on were Rec 231's and 233's ….. but we didn't have any small UAX's on our patch, so they were bigger than this unit here.

licquorice

• Reg Member
« Reply #61 on: December 19, 2015, 12:01:04 PM »

Yes, that was the rectifier, can't remember any details though. The WB400 (cold war early warning system) kit had its own dry cells in the bottom of its cabinet.

4candles

• Kitizen
  • Not young enough to know everything
« Reply #62 on: December 19, 2015, 12:25:23 PM »

Just a little observation/clarification.

The UAX13 is sometimes mistakenly referred to as an 'Unmanned Automatic Exchange'. While it's true that they were unmanned - as were SAXs (Small Automatic Exchanges), Mr Cat is correct in using the term 'Unit Automatic Exchange'.

The name derives from the fact that linefinders, group selectors, final selectors and subscribers' meters for 50 lines were accommodated on a single rack. An early modular system one might say. Need 50 more lines? Add another rack.
To err is human - to purr feline
Zen FTTC 40/10 + Digital Voice   FRITZ!Box 7530

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #63 on: December 19, 2015, 04:01:46 PM »

My thanks to B*Sheep, licquorice and 4c for their contributions. It is always helpful to hear details from those who, in their time, were a lot "closer" to the actual equipment being discussed.  :)
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #64 on: December 19, 2015, 10:49:14 PM »

@BlackSheep  et al

thank you for your generosity, a superb answer which draws a picture.

Basic stuff such as this isn't easily come by. I seem to remember that Kitz got a guided tour courtesy of BT. That's what I need, few of us have such an opportunity.

Fuggi

« Reply #65 on: December 20, 2015, 12:08:38 AM »

From the exchange photo the equipment looks like a power plant 227 and cells secondary 22/200 eg 200 ampere/hr.

WWWombat

• Kitizen
« Reply #66 on: December 22, 2015, 12:44:15 PM »

Hehe. Really interesting to see some of the real kit in use - I'm too used to seeing everything in a lab environment.

Anyone seen this site on UAX's:
http://www.uax.me.uk/
?

licquorice

• Reg Member
« Reply #67 on: December 22, 2015, 01:26:38 PM »

Hehe. Really interesting to see some of the real kit in use - I'm too used to seeing everything in a lab environment.

Anyone seen this site on UAX's:
http://www.uax.me.uk/
?

Yes, interesting site. Spent a lot of time adding extra A Units to UAX13s in the seventies. We also had a couple of UAX12s and the larger UAX14s.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2015, 03:35:00 PM by licquorice »

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #68 on: December 22, 2015, 02:41:32 PM »

Just a little observation/clarification.

The UAX13 is sometimes mistakenly referred to as an 'Unmanned Automatic Exchange'. While it's true that they were unmanned - as were SAXs (Small Automatic Exchanges), Mr Cat is correct in using the term 'Unit Automatic Exchange'.

The name derives from the fact that linefinders, group selectors, final selectors and subscribers' meters for 50 lines were accommodated on a single rack. An early modular system one might say. Need 50 more lines? Add another rack.

I never knew that, regarding the true meaning of the UAX acronym. I've just done a quick search on our internal systems  for 'UAX' and the first 'Hit' highlights a particular estates issue at 'xxxxxxxxx Unmanned Automated Exchange'.  :-\ ::)

I absolutely understand the full and proper term, and thank you for explaining why it is properly referred to as 'Unit ......'.  :) :)

licquorice

• Reg Member
« Reply #69 on: December 22, 2015, 03:30:56 PM »

With being a modular construction, it meant that although 50 subscribers could be accomodated within one A unit, only 8 of them could make calls concurrently as there were only 8 Linefinders on an A unit.

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #70 on: December 22, 2015, 03:38:15 PM »

With being a modular construction, it meant that although 50 subscribers could be accomodated within one A unit, only 8 of them could make calls concurrently as there were only 8 Linefinders on an A unit.

Thanks for the further info, Licq ........  :)

Although a marvel of modern technology in it's day, your explanation of its limitations shows just how far we've gone in just under 30yrs !!
Who'd have thunk it  ;D ;D

licquorice

• Reg Member
« Reply #71 on: December 22, 2015, 03:44:46 PM »

In my relatively brief 40 years on the job there was one exchange that I converted from a manual switchboard above the Post Office to a Strowger, from a Strowger to a Crossbar and saw the Crossbar replaced by a digital concentrator!! Definitely come a long way.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #72 on: December 22, 2015, 04:05:28 PM »

@licquorice -much respect.
That's how I feel when I think about the DEC VAX 11/750 that a dozen of us used to share back in 1983: 30A mains, its own room and the brute was the size of a couple of fridges, took three guys to lift it, 0.65 MIPs for a mere £150k. That compared with my wife's mobile phone : >6000 times faster (not sure, lost count some time ago) around 1000 times the RAM. The 64-bit ARM-based iPad I'm writing this on - even more frightening!
« Last Edit: December 23, 2015, 02:13:56 PM by Weaver »

WWWombat

• Kitizen
« Reply #73 on: December 23, 2015, 01:19:16 PM »

So the line finders stayed in the speech path for the duration of the call? That surprised me, but perhaps it is a cost of making easy-to-add modular units.

It wouldn't have been popular in the days of dial-up!

licquorice

• Reg Member
« Reply #74 on: December 23, 2015, 01:44:47 PM »

Yes, the 8 Linefinders were hard wired to  8 of the 10 Group Selectors, which all remained in the speech path throughout. The other 2 Group Selectors (if fitted) were used for Incoming Junction (Trunk) ccts from the parent exchange.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8

anything