Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: BT Engineers using HST 3000  (Read 11277 times)

CrazyTeeka

• Reg Member
  • A&A Customer - Home::1TB
Re: BT Engineers using HST 3000
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2015, 04:56:35 PM »

I'm pretty sure that when I reset to factory defaults, then set International Settings to United Kingdom it sets the correct pass/fail values for BT lines.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2015, 09:43:36 PM »

I remember the case of a web designer who found out that the Catholic Church in South America was hot linking to some of his pics, so he replaced the files with pictures of ladies undressed!

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2015, 12:50:23 AM »

a web designer who found out that the Catholic Church in South America was hot linking to some of his pics, so he replaced the files with pictures of ladies undressed!

:lol: :lol:

Quinns didnt hot-link they took and displayed as if they were their own.   :no:  Ive no idea how long they were up there because they have a robots file that doesnt allow caching. I only spotted them after browsing their site due to my own run in with a Quinn engineer and that of others.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

CrazyTeeka

• Reg Member
« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2015, 01:57:10 PM »

JDSU HST-3000 to test socket adaptor.  ;)

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2015, 02:17:06 PM »

I'm pretty sure that when I reset to factory defaults, then set International Settings to United Kingdom it sets the correct pass/fail values for BT lines.

There are other 'recommendations' to perform once this has been done.

For instance ..... changing the time ...... Select SystemInstrument tab then,  1 – Date & Time.

Also, post factory reset run a Self Check (required as due to resetting time to 1980 the system believes the last Self Check was run in 1980). 

It's also recommended that you do a compensation of the leads too.

HTH.  :)

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2015, 02:18:15 PM »

JDSU HST-3000 to test socket adaptor.  ;)

That's as good as any adaptor, CT.  ;) :)

CrazyTeeka

• Reg Member
« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2015, 02:43:21 PM »

There are other 'recommendations' to perform once this has been done.

For instance ..... changing the time ...... Select SystemInstrument tab then,  1 – Date & Time.

Also, post factory reset run a Self Check (required as due to resetting time to 1980 the system believes the last Self Check was run in 1980). 

It's also recommended that you do a compensation of the leads too.

HTH.  :)

Thanks for the pointers. :)

Out of interest what tests would you run to trouble shoot a line where the VDSL service is behaving oddly. Per discussion in http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php/topic,15839.0.html

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #22 on: August 20, 2015, 02:55:05 PM »

Wow ..... haven't time to digest that fully and am going out  to a friends in 10mins. Few pointers, you can only run 'live' tests with your JDSU as you won't be able to remotely dis-connect Exchange conditions as we are able to.
So, you can only really check VDSL synch, errors etc ................... and TDR.

It's the TDR in one of your pics that has me drawn to what looks like a HR at approx. 50mtrs from where you've measured it from ?? When we measure to a HR, we go to the start of the 'peak' (the left hand side), not the middle.
It all depends on what the cable poundages are, but that does resemble a slight HR, and one I would be certainly looking at.

Back later.

CrazyTeeka

• Reg Member
« Reply #23 on: August 20, 2015, 04:17:20 PM »

Black Sheep,

Here are some new TDR graphs, after re-setting up JDSU as advised.

Hope I measured from the right place, or did you mean where it dips, then peaks?

Seems to be roughly 48.9m, possibly up pole or underground in a manhole, cable from master socket to front door is ~15m. ;)

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #24 on: August 20, 2015, 05:20:58 PM »

Yeah ....... where the cursor is, is as near as damn it to the start of the peak.
It's only a rough guide to whether the fault is in an outside wall-mounted block (BT66 etc), mid-span in the drop-wire (rubbing on branches etc), at the actual DP (Telegraph pole), or in the joint-box at the foot of the pole (if indeed there is one there).

No-one right in their head wants to scale a pole unnecessarily, so the TDR is a quick guide when used in this instance. Still looks like a miniscule HR to me, but needs confirming with poundages.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #25 on: August 20, 2015, 05:26:11 PM »

Quote from: CrazyTeeka
Hope I measured from the right place, or did you mean where it dips, then peaks?

When positioning the cursor in a TDR plot, one should place it at the point where the trace starts to deviates from the horizontal. (I.e. to the left of the feature.)

Two example plots are attached, below.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.
Pages: 1 [2]