Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Openreach policy change  (Read 2375 times)

waltergmw

• Kitizen
Openreach policy change
« on: July 20, 2015, 10:09:08 PM »

Gentlefolk,

I have not been amused over the total intransigence of Openreach on a BT Retail VDSL service.

To begin with the installation was one of the worst I have ever had the misfortune to investigate, not helped by a road distance of around 1.4 km.
It contained a very old screw connector block just inside the house with a bridge tap clearly visible and leading direct to a slave socket with 6 wires connected and ongoing to a second socket. A HH5 was connected via an ADSL filter dongle. This resulted in a download sync speed of 6.56 Mbps.

After a complete rewire from the drop-wire at eaves level direct into a NTE5 with a MK III filter faceplate, some quite reasonable performance was observed as shown below. However I was astonished to be told by BT R, after a site visit, that there was nothing to be done as the service had been defined by BT Openreach as a 40 / 2 and they refused absolutely to reset the VDSL service where now it could clearly support an upload sync speed of over 2.5 Mbps.

I was subsequently rung up by a nice BT lady enquiring if I was satisfied with their performance. She seemed quite disappointed at the strength of my adverse remarks !!!!

Is anyone aware of this purported new Openreach regulation or are BT Retail just not prepared to assist their clients any more ?

Kind regards,
Walter

Dray

• Kitizen
Re: Openreach policy change
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2015, 10:20:26 PM »

Haven't Plusnet abandoned their 40/10 offering and even their unfortunate "40/20" offering and now only supply 40/2 or 80/20?

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2015, 10:21:59 PM »

At first glance, it appears to be a stupid case of only an engineer can reset the profile and not the ISP.
Strictly speaking the engineer who attended should have performed a line reset, but I fear its something that some of them forget to do.   This leaves the ISP not able to do much other than send out an engineer again.

If its been provisioned as a 40/2 then things may be a bit more tricky than if the line is a 40/10 capped at 2Mbps.   If it is the latter then it will be down to the ISP to reprovision the line as 40/10 and it could even be why the engineer didnt do a reset...  but it appears you may have a battle getting BTr to do this based on your last conversation.   All you can do is keep plugging away showing that the line is syncing at more than 2Mbps.  It may also be worthwhile checking how much the EU is paying and if its the same prices as for 40/10
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2015, 07:49:22 AM »

I would need to know more info ............ such as the 'site visit' ?? Even our awful engineers would struggle to leave a 'Bridged tap' in place ?? It doesn't add up to me in that respect.

If the EU is paying for a 40/2 product ..... then why would one expect them to provide 2.5Meg US ?? Even if the engineer did a reset, if it was a 40/2 product it would only ever default to these figures ...... regardless of whether the attainable was 120/40.

Like I say, something doesn't add up here regarding the so-called visit ............ in my experience, the EU will have had a -self-install of the FTTC, and we tend to arrive on their doorstep a few weeks later to rectify the slow speed issues.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2015, 01:52:53 PM »

If the EU is paying for a 40/2 product ..... then why would one expect them to provide 2.5Meg US ?? Even if the engineer did a reset, if it was a 40/2 product it would only ever default to these figures ...... regardless of whether the attainable was 120/40.

That's what I wasnt clear about from

"However I was astonished to be told by BT R, after a site visit, that there was nothing to be done as the service had been defined by BT Openreach as a 40 / 2 and they refused absolutely to reset the VDSL service where now it could clearly support an upload sync speed of over 2.5 Mbps."

Need to find out what BTretail have on their records for the service provision.... and I think walter is saying that BTr say its 40/2.   
If it is provisioned as 40/2 then there is nothing that the Openreach engineer could do and no amount of him resetting would improve the upload speed. Its down to the ISP to submit a re-provision/upgrade to 40/10 so the EU can have any hope of being able to use the extra upload.

I could be wrong, but afaik the fact that line speed estimation on the BTw database say showing that the estimated upload speed is less than 2Mbps shouldnt stop the ISP from ordering the 40/10 product.   
We all know that the estimated figures are conservative.   Ive also seen other ISP's order products for more that the BTw speed estimates..  or even upgrade at as an after-event.   ie several times Ive seen lines provisioned as 40/10 by PN because of estimated speeds, but the ISP will upgrade to 80/20 if its later seen from the linestats that its possible to get more.

Is anyone aware of this purported new Openreach regulation or are BT Retail just not prepared to assist their clients any more ?
I'm certainly not aware of this regulation, - see above seen the ISP do upgrades many times - think it may be the person at BTr doing a jobsworth?

Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

anything