Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10

Author Topic: Weird Infinity Issue - possible HR fault?  (Read 30720 times)

Dray

• Kitizen
Re: Weird Infinity Issue - possible HR fault?
« Reply #45 on: July 19, 2015, 08:32:50 PM »

It is unable to report back the modem's status, it is unable to pull an updated firmware image and upgrade the device.

I'm sorry, that's not the same as

The only thing it does is to report your sync speed, as burakkucat quoted.

Not even close  :no:

GigabitEthernet

• Kitizen
« Reply #46 on: July 19, 2015, 08:39:00 PM »

But you still haven't provided any evidence of your claim. Please show me data of an improved attainable sync by having the agent enabled.

samwise78

« Reply #47 on: July 19, 2015, 08:44:56 PM »

OK..

This is great chaps but we're drifting OT a bit I think.

Back to the possible HR fault, just got off the phone for a 30 minute call to my folks and - while I had some noise in the first minute or so that I watched having a negative effect on my DS noise margin (6.4 to 5.5) it stopped after 10 seconds or so..

We've had a bright, warm day here today after a wet night. I'm wary of incurring a charge if the issue isn't present tomorrow when OR attend, or does anyone think describing the issue will be enough assuming it's not demonstrable??  :no:

Cheers
Samwise

Dray

• Kitizen
« Reply #48 on: July 19, 2015, 08:51:36 PM »

My phone causes a reduction in SNRM, so I don't think that's a problem or a symptom.

However, noise on the line is a fault and when it disappears while on the call is one symptom of an HR fault.

GigabitEthernet

• Kitizen
« Reply #49 on: July 19, 2015, 08:54:58 PM »

The phone causing a noticeable reduction in SNRM is indicative of an HR fault. Do you ever get any crackling on the phone line?

samwise78

« Reply #50 on: July 19, 2015, 09:08:04 PM »

The phone causing a noticeable reduction in SNRM is indicative of an HR fault. Do you ever get any crackling on the phone line?

Yep, has been regularly each evening for the last week or so whenever the landline is used (DECT phone)
Have tested behind the SSFP and with a BT corded phone to try and eliminate both the SSFP and DECT phone.
Noise still present on all tests which (until tonight) would lead to a resync and bizarre stats (see 1st post)
Starts out as crackle and popping which gets worse/louder until resync - been watching the effect on DS margin as it drops from 6.4 down to 5, 3, 1, then Hub reports NaN in the DS margin field and drops connection.

If I stay on the phone at that point - the noise clears temporarily, but then continues and the connection instability continues.
If I clear down the call, it stays at that sync for 15 mins or so and then resyncs back to the previous speed (near as dammit)

Cheers

Dray

• Kitizen
« Reply #51 on: July 19, 2015, 09:15:54 PM »

The engineer shouldn't have a problem seeing that as a fault especially given you've had DLM resets in the past which have degraded.

GigabitEthernet

• Kitizen
« Reply #52 on: July 19, 2015, 09:31:53 PM »

I'm almost certain it's an HR fault then.

Any competent OR engineer would agree and track it down I would think.

samwise78

« Reply #53 on: July 20, 2015, 01:05:29 PM »

Well, engineer has just left, got here shortly after 8.30am

His tester did show "high resistance on one leg" which he eventually tracked down to the UG chamber across the road.
He didn't do much to clear it, he put a tone on at the master and then tested from the chamber which apparently cleared it (?)
Replaced the SSFP as belt and braces too.

Hasn't affected my sync speed which to me says he hasn't made the line any worse, which is a positive.
Rudimentary stats as follows:

6.   Data Rate:   20000 / 68715
7.   Maximum Data Rate:   23341 / 69710
8.   Noise Margin:   13.8 / 6.4
9.   Line Attenuation:   0.0 / 16.4
10.   Signal Attenuation:   0.0 / 0.0

Hopefully won't have any further issues, but I'm not 100% how the fault was resolved at the chamber, would he have to have remade the joint there?

Got a HG612 on the way too, so will at least be able to keep an eye on things a bit closer too..  :fingers:

Cheers
Samwise

Dray

• Kitizen
« Reply #54 on: July 20, 2015, 01:15:05 PM »

So your stats before were
16/07/15 - resynced on its own 19:16

5.   VDSL uptime:   0 days, 00:08:18
6.   Data Rate:   19999 / 68776
7.   Maximum Data Rate:   22393 / 69584
8.   Noise Margin:   14.1 / 6.4
9.   Line Attenuation:   0.0 / 16.6

Looks like your sync speed (data rate) is on fastpath upstream but a bit slower downstream and your attenuation has fallen slightly. The max attainable has increased too.

Is your phone line noisy? Dial 17070 option 2 for the Quiet Line Test and listen, it should be silent.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2015, 01:22:05 PM by Dray »

samwise78

« Reply #55 on: July 20, 2015, 01:30:48 PM »

Quiet line test is clear and no negative impact on noise margin either.
I'd expect that anyway as I only had issues in the evening..
Will keep an eye on it as I'm still not sure how it was cleared by testing back from across the road..

Cheers

Dray

• Kitizen
« Reply #56 on: July 20, 2015, 01:39:36 PM »

Yes, it will be good to get your HG612 running and your stats up on MDWS :)

GigabitEthernet

• Kitizen
« Reply #57 on: July 20, 2015, 01:53:07 PM »

Sounds like he did very little.

I'm sorry to sound negative but I suspect you'll be having issues again shortly :(

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #58 on: July 20, 2015, 03:44:29 PM »

C'mon now ..... lets not go down the avenue of slating the poor engineer through naivety of what a telecom engineers job involves  ;).

If he has found a HR at the joint in a UG chamber over the road, then it sounds like it was one of the many easily-accessible joints to open, and simply cutting back and re-making the pair of wires feeding the OP's circuit would take all of 10-15mins in total. That's including setting up of safety barriers and signage if required ???

To answer the OP's question ...... he would only have to re-make the whole joint if there were 'Blue-billy' connectors in place, or there was corrosion taking place throughout the joint. Other than that, we just work on the pair of wires reported faulty ..... otherwise we'd never get anything done.  :)

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #59 on: July 20, 2015, 07:09:49 PM »

In my own experience that I'm sure BS will remember very well, finding the actual HR location, especially if it appears intermittently is the hard part.
Fixing it, once located, is usually child's play.

It sounds like your engineer has done the necessaries.
Just testing at the joint will have involved disconnecting & remaking it, so it should now be good again.

Do you know if he requested a DLM reset/circuit recalc?

If not, DLM will hopefully detect a reduction in error counts & improve connection speeds in due course.

Regarding stats monitoring, I would recommend using HG612 Modem Stats for long term monitoring & DSLStats (with HG612 Modem Stats co-operation set) for the 'here & now' monitoring, allowing just one of them to upload data to MDWS.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10