Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: ADSL Connection Problems With HG612 Modem And Static IP's.  (Read 19752 times)

boost

• Reg Member
Re: ADSL Connection Problems.
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2014, 12:57:03 AM »

The DSLAM variant you are connected to is one I often see issues with.

I don't know what it is but it's also the only one that produces upstream rates in excess of 832 despite negotiating ADSL1 (you don't currently see this because you're on a stunted profile at 448Kb)

I believe there is something inherently dodgy about these DSLAMs/MSANs or their connecting infrastructure.

The only ones I ever see performing adequately are extremely short lines, on fastpath and even some of those are questionable.

Get in touch with the ISP. They'll be able to see your SNRM fluctuation if nothing else. Hopefully, a 'copper line fault'  will present itself on the line test and they can get it booked out for you.

I haven't been following your other threads but PPP re-auth has been mentioned a few times here. I see this a lot on these IFTNs. SNR drops very low, PPP dies but not enough to lose synch. The result is multiple PPP re-auths which is sometimes mis-attributed to a PPP issue.

boost

• Reg Member
« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2014, 01:04:40 AM »

I don't know if it makes a difference but does the HG only listen on specific interfaces in conjunction with specific IP ranges for telnet access? Might be worth going back to basics on one interface on the HG, adding that to the smoothwall box as a separate zone, making it routable from your PC?

You may need to source NAT the address too. Management request are expected to be local so I wouldn't be surprised if the HG is dropping your PC requests because they are appear to be out of zone, despite being private addresses.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2014, 02:54:30 AM »

The DSLAM variant you are connected to is one I often see issues with.

I don't know what it is but it's also the only one that produces upstream rates in excess of 832 despite negotiating ADSL1 (you don't currently see this because you're on a stunted profile at 448Kb)

I believe there is something inherently dodgy about these DSLAMs/MSANs or their connecting infrastructure.

The only ones I ever see performing adequately are extremely short lines, on fastpath and even some of those are questionable.

Get in touch with the ISP. They'll be able to see your SNRM fluctuation if nothing else. Hopefully, a 'copper line fault'  will present itself on the line test and they can get it booked out for you.

I haven't been following your other threads but PPP re-auth has been mentioned a few times here. I see this a lot on these IFTNs. SNR drops very low, PPP dies but not enough to lose synch. The result is multiple PPP re-auths which is sometimes mis-attributed to a PPP issue.

That would likely be the Huawei MSANs which used the IFTNs.... So it's not too surprising that you could any additional sync speed over and above the tradional adsl1 limits.  These MSANs were designed to work with adsl 2/2+ and therefore were also capable of s=1/2 mode ie less overheads for RS redundancy.  They were also the MSANs on which interleaved lines could sync at a higher rate than 7616kbps for the same reason.

They're not the only ones to have issues though.. The Marconi MSANs also have some of their own issues... Specifically maxDsl premium on the 20cn exchanges.   There's several long threads about this, usually involving jelv. I can't add a link atm, but I'll try later.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2014, 03:00:00 AM »

Here you go.

http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,113083.176.html

I was on a Marconi msan.  Unfortunately back then hardly any routers would list the max rate figures, and it was the days before DSLstats so I don't have a clue what mine would have reported back then.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

kitzuser87430

• Reg Member
« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2014, 08:50:14 AM »

Blue = HG612 set as a non NAT Bridge Modem using LAN 1 to smoothwall box.

If you have to put the username and password in the hg612 it may not be in bridge modem mode.

To test your line.....simplify your network...temporarly add a pppoa router and see how that goes.

Ian

Dray

• Kitizen
« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2014, 09:42:14 AM »

<WAN> x.y.z.105 No..NAT..Modem..LAN Address (Modem) x.y.z.110 >

x.y.z.110 is not a LAN address. It is a WAN address.

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2014, 02:23:28 PM »

<WAN> x.y.z.105 No..NAT..Modem..LAN Address (Note...Modem LAN Not Home network LAN as these are different !) x.y.z.110 >

You may have noticed I have tried to make it clearer for those not familiar with using static WAN IP's

Yes this is correct, this is the LAN on the Modem which would normally be say 192.168.1.1 be in my setup it's a internet facing ip address .
The LAN (or output) from the Modem is then fed into my hardware firewall  (Smoothwall) http://www.smoothwall.org/  , in there as it says it gets firewalled and router (NAT'ed) then the output of the Smoothwall is my (safe) network LAN.

Hope this makes it clearer, it took me some time to get my head around it when I first started using 'Smoothwall'
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

tickmike

• Kitizen
« Reply #22 on: December 06, 2014, 03:36:59 PM »

I don't know if it makes a difference but does the HG only listen on specific interfaces in conjunction with specific IP ranges for telnet access? Might be worth going back to basics on one interface on the HG, adding that to the smoothwall box as a separate zone, making it routable from your PC?

You may need to source NAT the address too. Management request are expected to be local so I wouldn't be surprised if the HG is dropping your PC requests because they are appear to be out of zone, despite being private addresses.
Interesting comments,  I will contact isp next week , shall I ask my ISP to look over the RRT (Repair Reactive Tool)
Later in the week I will have a look at some other settings for the HG612.
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

boost

• Reg Member
« Reply #23 on: December 06, 2014, 03:50:46 PM »

Here you go.

http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,113083.176.html

I was on a Marconi msan.  Unfortunately back then hardly any routers would list the max rate figures, and it was the days before DSLstats so I don't have a clue what mine would have reported back then.

Cheers boss!
I've only managed to glance over it but couldn't see what the Marconi's where identifying themselves as? Is it TSTC? I got the odd one or two of these but nothing like the numbers I see for IFTN.

What was the big deal with this anyway? Something to do with Max Premium or just another red herring?

Dray

• Kitizen
« Reply #24 on: December 06, 2014, 05:22:33 PM »

<WAN> x.y.z.105 No..NAT..Modem..LAN Address (Note...Modem LAN Not Home network LAN as these are different !) x.y.z.110 >

You may have noticed I have tried to make it clearer for those not familiar with using static WAN IP's

Yes this is correct, this is the LAN on the Modem which would normally be say 192.168.1.1 be in my setup it's a internet facing ip address .
The LAN (or output) from the Modem is then fed into my hardware firewall  (Smoothwall) http://www.smoothwall.org/  , in there as it says it gets firewalled and router (NAT'ed) then the output of the Smoothwall is my (safe) network LAN.

Hope this makes it clearer, it took me some time to get my head around it when I first started using 'Smoothwall'
Problem is that if the HG612 is configured as a router then it's trying to route the internet.

How is Smoothwall configured? Does it have a WAN IP and a LAN IP too?
« Last Edit: December 06, 2014, 05:33:59 PM by Dray »

loonylion

• Reg Member
« Reply #25 on: December 06, 2014, 06:23:47 PM »

Problem is that if the HG612 is configured as a router then it's trying to route the internet.

How is Smoothwall configured? Does it have a WAN IP and a LAN IP too?

smoothwall is a routing firewall, it has a public IP on one side and a LAN IP on the other. It's intended to be used with a bridged modem.

Dray

• Kitizen
« Reply #26 on: December 06, 2014, 08:38:19 PM »

But the modem has 2 public addresses and smoothwall has a 3rd public address?

I would prefer to have it like this:

(from http://billion.uk.com/edu/VDSL2/index.html )
« Last Edit: December 06, 2014, 09:11:36 PM by Dray »

tickmike

• Kitizen
« Reply #27 on: December 06, 2014, 10:15:09 PM »

Lost internet connection again  >:D
Off the modem web page at the time.
---------------------------------------------------
Connection Status      

Mode   G.DMT 
Traffic type   ATM 
DSL synchronization status   Up 
DSL up time   0 
Channel type   Interleaved

Line Status      

Downstream                   Upstream
Attainable rate (kbit/s )3732   1016
SNR margin (dB)   4.8                   18
Line attenuation (dB)   51           30.5
Output power (dBmV)   18.9     12.5

Statistics      

Path 0

Downstream                 Upstream   
Line rate (kbit/s)   3360    448    
CRC errors   427    
FEC errors   65    57    
HEC errors   408                    44    

---------------------------------------------------------------
Logs
2014-12-6 21:18:38 Alert 104505 PPP dial-up failed
2014-12-6 21:17:6 Alert 104505 PPP dial-up failed
2014-12-6 21:15:34 Alert 104505 PPP dial-up failed
2014-12-6 21:14:2 Alert 104505 PPP dial-up failed
2014-12-6 21:12:31 Alert 104505 PPP dial-up failed
2014-12-6 21:10:59 Alert 104505 PPP dial-up failed

--------------------------------------------------------------

Like was said earlier the DSL was up all the time, the WAN dropped out, modem tried to re-dial but failed.
I could not wait 15 or 30 minutes so I just pulled modem power and re-plugged it in, DSL came up> hand shake> internet again  :) until the next time  >:(
Edit ... It lasted 55 minutes and died again. >:(
« Last Edit: December 06, 2014, 11:08:13 PM by tickmike »

tickmike

• Kitizen
« Reply #28 on: December 06, 2014, 10:21:13 PM »

I have been noticing DSLstats runs for a bit after a modem re-boot  :o

Any comments on these graphs please.

« Last Edit: December 06, 2014, 10:25:41 PM by tickmike »

tickmike

• Kitizen
« Reply #29 on: December 06, 2014, 10:26:55 PM »

Part 2
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

anything