Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: ZyXEL VMG8324-B10A firmware issues  (Read 21465 times)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: Stand alone VDSL modem options
« Reply #30 on: October 02, 2014, 11:52:14 PM »

Hi 7LM..  I was hoping one of the guys who had one of the routers and who had tried it would answer... 

I havent actually bridged, because the whole idea of me getting an all in one unit was to cut down on cables/plugs and equipment..  Chrys has just done so with the Zyxel so hes probably the best to confirm.

Thinking about it..   the 'modem' is on the WAN side of the router.. so to access the line stats you'd need to see this from the LAN side..  so you probably would need to.

« Last Edit: October 03, 2014, 12:11:50 AM by kitz »
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
Re: ZyXel VMG8324-B10A issues
« Reply #31 on: October 03, 2014, 06:23:54 AM »

I did wonder the same, had intended to read up on QOS in the manual, but haven't got around to it.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 550/52  ;D

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP CF
« Reply #32 on: October 03, 2014, 07:37:25 AM »

When I said hung, I meant a hung process, that I had end with task manager,  is this what you meant?

yep

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP CF
« Reply #33 on: October 03, 2014, 08:37:59 AM »

ok right now I am online without the issues yesterday using zyxel in bridge mode.

What I have done different currently is 2 things.

I have not plugged in a 2nd lan cable (I have a thoery its getting confused where to route with it in). So cannot access gui stats etc.  Although I know from speedtest I have a sync around 74mbit again.
Also I reset the config to default after flashing kl6.

Also I am on a bng gateway so no ipv6, I do remember kitz's suggestion.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP CF
« Reply #34 on: October 03, 2014, 08:46:29 AM »

I am still testing, but my tests today are so far more promising for the zyxel.

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #35 on: October 03, 2014, 09:23:00 AM »

I am still testing, but my tests today are so far more promising for the zyxel.

Thanks, that's very encouraging as I am thinking of following same plan.   :)

But can you by any chance confirm my assumption... that a 2nd LAN cable is required to link router to Zyxel/Modem for stats gathering?

As further background, I simply want to try and keep the modem near the master socket for 'best chance' connection, yet keep my existing router and AP in its existing location near the centre of the house, for optimum WiFi coverage.  Also because I have wired the house with Cat 5 cabling which radiates out from the shelf on which the router sits, making it a natural place for the router as well as a separate Gigabit switch.  And I am near capacity on these Cat 5s as well as switch/router ports.   If I need another connection, I may also need another Ethernet switch, which seems a shame.   :-\

les-70

• Kitizen
« Reply #36 on: October 03, 2014, 09:24:01 AM »

Having used both the Billion and the Zyxel and looked others comments i would say the Billion has similar adsl/vdsl performance to the Zyxel.  I have not tried bridging the Billion modem but do wonder if you really need to use bridge mode, especially if you value LAN ports.  The only Billion draw back for most is just one gige port.  It did not worry me at all though.  A major Billion advantage is firmware that really works trouble free, a very responsive gui and good Billion support and updates should they be ever needed.  I found XyXel support useless on the phone (may just be bad luck) but OK via email.  Looking at the many posts re ZyXel firmware I would say they have released the device a long while ahead of proper firmware testing.

My personal experience of the Xyxel was also not good due to it giving many more errors than an HG612 and the Billion.  Others have not reported this problem and it may be my ZyXel being faulty, or my possibly my line. 

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP CF
« Reply #37 on: October 03, 2014, 09:31:11 AM »

Ok I have a conclusion to my testing.

When using the zyxel in bridge mode it works fine as long as the 2nd lan cable is not connected, so if want to access stats whilst online is a problem.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP CF
« Reply #38 on: October 03, 2014, 09:32:59 AM »

the cause is the 2nd lan cable, with ipv6 it carried on working, but as soon as I plugged it in, the issue came back.

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #39 on: October 03, 2014, 09:38:11 AM »

so if want to access stats whilst online is a problem.

This probably won't work but I will suggest it just in case... have you tried accessing the stats by addressing your public IP address, i.e. that assigned by your ISP?

It is a lesser known fact that every router I have used allows the GUI to be accessed in that way, even when remote management is disabled.  I think it won't work here, as the request will only get as far as your router, which would have no reason to pass it on towards the  Zyxel/Modem.  But maybe worth a try?

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP CF
« Reply #40 on: October 03, 2014, 09:59:57 AM »

yeah thats a no go. As you suggested it hits the router not the zyxel.

regarding errors the zyxel still seems good, and I would have had a 75-76mbit sync, if I did this before my line lost some attainable a week or so ago.

« Last Edit: October 03, 2014, 10:03:16 AM by Chrysalis »

les-70

• Kitizen
« Reply #41 on: October 03, 2014, 10:04:29 AM »

It seems a bit perverse to be using a fully featured modem/router like the ZyXel as a modem in bridged mode.  Is it really not possible to get what you need with just the XyXel or with the Asus just in the Lan side?

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP CF
« Reply #42 on: October 03, 2014, 10:06:08 AM »

I have updated zyxel with my findings, but they didnt even reply to the first email yet.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP CF
« Reply #43 on: October 03, 2014, 10:06:48 AM »

some updates in this thread.

http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php?topic=14506.msg271103#msg271103

Maybe these 2 threads can be merged?

not perverse no Les I want it for a better modem.

The Asus is a opensource linux based router which makes it extremely powerful, e.g. I have a hosts file on it for anti malware/ads, a web server on it, a VPN on it, custom scripts and more.  Not to mention it's AC capable wireless on 5ghz as well.

You realise the hg612 is a router as well? but openreach use it as a modem only.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2014, 10:08:51 AM by Chrysalis »

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #44 on: October 03, 2014, 11:22:22 AM »

Transferring my comments to this thread...  :)

I have downloaded the '8324 user manual.  Pitching in from a position of relative ignorance, and without having access to the device, I can't help thinking that the problems of second LAN cable attachment may be possibly be resolved by defining a second interface group, per section 12.1 of the manual?

Sorry I can't offer specific substance to that idea as it's difficult without hands-on access.  And even more sorry if you have already been around that loop or, for any other reasons, my suggestion is flawed.   :D
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

anything