Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: ZyXEL VMG8324-B10A firmware issues  (Read 21537 times)

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • AAISP CF
Re: ZyXel VMG8324-B10A issues
« Reply #45 on: October 03, 2014, 12:04:33 PM »

where did you grab the manual from? for the last 30 minutes or so I have been trying the other route which is to get the ip routeable via the single cable but not having much luck.

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #46 on: October 03, 2014, 12:16:34 PM »

where did you grab the manual from? for the last 30 minutes or so I have been trying the other route which is to get the ip routeable via the single cable but not having much luck.

Pretty sure I got it from here...

http://www.zyxel.com/uk/en/products_services/vmg8324_b10a.shtml?t=p

Linked under 'related resources' > User Guide

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • AAISP CF
« Reply #47 on: October 03, 2014, 12:23:50 PM »

you the man/lady sevenlayermuddle you cracked it :)

not got the manual but sort of figured it out from the page text.

So the default interface group is the only one that has ip access to router.

So I made a new interface group with vdsl.ptm using lan port 1 (which has the cable going to router wan port), at first I thought it broke things but it just caused a reset of connectivity and that fixed the issue, so now lan ports 2,3,4 I assume will work as normal lan ports extending the lan ports on my network and port 1 is segregated just for wan bridge use.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • AAISP CF
« Reply #48 on: October 03, 2014, 12:35:58 PM »

with both cables in :)

and for good measure.

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #49 on: October 03, 2014, 12:38:54 PM »

Excellent  :)

Unfortunately these Zyxel devices, as well as the similar VMG8924 seem to be out of stock most places at the moment .  If that is attributable to Kitz's influence I hope the makers are appreciative.   :)

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • AAISP CF
« Reply #50 on: October 03, 2014, 12:40:32 PM »

kitz gave me a link here

http://www.stuff-uk.net/p-1726433.aspx

they a bit dodgy on the paperwork and tracking but mine did arrive next day.

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #51 on: October 03, 2014, 05:24:32 PM »

kitz gave me a link here

Thanks, I may be tempted!

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #52 on: October 03, 2014, 06:05:50 PM »

Fantastic - well done

Maybe these 2 threads can be merged?
Yes I will do :) :clap2:

kitz gave me a link here

Out of interest - did they use RoyalMail/Parcel Force?  If so this could be the reason - I had similar occur last week with Amazon

If that is attributable to Kitz's influence I hope the makers are appreciative.

Im afraid not - it was pure fluke that I happened to be the first to get an OEM version in the UK.   
Id been keeping my eye on the market for a looong time before spending my pennies and the Zyxel was the first one to come along that ticked all my boxes, so I took a risk and bought it the day it came available.   I agree that the f/w is buggy and Ive said right from the start that it looked like Zyxel wanted to get this out asap without properly beta testing the firmware in the UK.  F/w bugs aside Im still very happy with my router and glad I stuck with it..  because if Im perfectly frank, even today there isnt another make or model that Id want to swap it for.   

The router manufacturers have been pretty slow in releasing decent vdsl modem routers in to the consumer market and its only now we are seeing some choice. TP-Link could well have released their vdsl unit into the UK market with several bugs in - one of them pretty damn serious -  if I hadnt put my 2p in whilst beta testing.  I think now that they are getting their act together on the hardware side, they seem to be rushing out models without proper testing in the UK.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • AAISP CF
Re: ZyXEL VMG8324-B10A firmware issues
« Reply #53 on: October 03, 2014, 06:10:38 PM »

kitz I hope you can add what we discovered to a bridging guide for this device :), am very glad we found it was fixed by a setting as I think the modem is a decent improvement over the hg612.

normally around 6pm on the hg612 I get a errored second or 2 with high errors, still waiting currently.

regarding my delivery it was by citylink.

I also noticed my bitswaps are down like you guys mentioned in another thread.

« Last Edit: October 03, 2014, 06:13:49 PM by Chrysalis »

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #54 on: October 03, 2014, 06:12:47 PM »

ok thanks - it was just a thought re the delivery method.   I think several other people on here have used stuff-it to purchase a ZyXel without issue, so it would just appear that they arent too hot on the tracking.

Re bridging - yep I will do when I get a mo, thanks again :)
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • AAISP CF
« Reply #55 on: October 03, 2014, 06:18:50 PM »

here you can add this to guide, this is how it looks now is fixed.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #56 on: October 03, 2014, 06:20:03 PM »

OK...  the next 'bug' is the increase latency showing on TBB graphs - such as ronski's graph   I strongly suspect that this may be related to QoS, because we dont appear to see any problem sending packets out and it doesnt appear to have any bearing on causing any noticeable throughput issues.   It could perhaps just be giving a lower priority to ICMP ping packets than normal data throughput. This could certainly be one of the reasons why the TBB graphs show as they do.   

Im afraid Ive not got time to look into this atm..  plus it would appear that my line isnt perhaps the best right now to test on.. as Ive today been advised by my ISP that my SVLAN (kind of the equivalent to the old VPs on 20CN) from my cab is running hot.. which is why Im seeing congestion in the evenings. :(
-----

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • AAISP CF
« Reply #57 on: October 03, 2014, 06:22:57 PM »

I noticed my graphs show more yellow as well. seems to spike easier than the hg612.

I did disable the QoS as well.  Although I think QoS etc. is auto disabled anyway when bridge activated as in the broadband setting page they have N next to them after enabling bridging. Ok no auto disable for QoS but I did specifically disable it anyway.

« Last Edit: October 03, 2014, 06:25:38 PM by Chrysalis »

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • AAISP CF
« Reply #58 on: October 03, 2014, 07:27:34 PM »

evening burst of crc has happened, seems a higher boatload of crc than what I was getting previously.  Will see what happens over the next few days.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • AAISP CF
« Reply #59 on: October 04, 2014, 09:02:53 PM »

i analysed some data of the zyxel vs the hg612 in regards to errors.   Here is my view.

I think the higher crc error count isnt to do with the higher sync speed, but rather to do with the less aggressive bitswapping.

I have a reasonably steady ES and CRC count for most of the day but I do have occasional high errored seconds (SES or SES candidates).  On the hg612 these few seconds per day are lower error counts, but the other 80 or so ES I get per day the CRC per ES is pretty much the same possibly even better on the zyxel.  Since its only a few seconds per day this happens, it isnt really service affecting but of course is it DLM affecting? since I think DLM works on ES count (MTBE) I think it isnt DLM affecting.  At least for my error pattern.

Thats my thoughts so far.

Also I averaged 5-10 CRC per day on the hg612 US, so far after 36 hours I have 0 on the zyxel.  It appears better when is low error conditions but worse if a temporary burst of noise as its slower to react with bitswaps, if that makes sense.

Also my attainable is moving around, I dont know if this is due to a new crosstalk source or the zyxel. Currently its about 2mbit below what I had at start of sync.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2014, 09:09:36 PM by Chrysalis »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5