Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: DLM avoidance  (Read 5162 times)

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: DLM avoidance
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2014, 10:55:00 PM »

For the NGA GEA FTTC product that is provided by Openreach there is only one DLM system.

That DLM system controls the VDSL2 metallic pathway which links the DSLAM/MSAN in the cabinet with the CPE modem.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2014, 11:22:08 PM »

For the NGA GEA FTTC product that is provided by Openreach there is only one DLM system.

That DLM system controls the VDSL2 metallic pathway which links the DSLAM/MSAN in the cabinet with the CPE modem.

Thanks B*CAT so FTTC users are connected to Openreach DLM and ADSL/ADSL2 users are connected to BT Wholesale DLM.

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2014, 09:04:52 PM »

Thanks B*CAT so FTTC users are connected to Openreach DLM and ADSL/ADSL2 users are connected to BT Wholesale DLM.

I get the FTTC DLM bit ...... but are we saying that all ADSL-type circuits are controlled by BTw DLM ?? SKY have there own DLM, AFAIK, so how would that work ?? Pardon my ignorance here ....  :-[

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2014, 09:23:01 PM »

...... but are we saying that all ADSL-type circuits are controlled by BTw DLM ??

No.  :no:  Obviously LLU'd circuits are not under the influence of BTw. Who "owns" and "controls" what is a well confusing topic. I would be surprised if there isn't a good description somewhere in the main Kitz site!

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2014, 10:12:04 PM »

Thanks for clearing that up, Mr Cat. I thought that may be the case, but one thing I've learned on here is not to assume. As you were.  :graduate: ;D ;D

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2014, 12:05:58 AM »

No.  :no:  Obviously LLU'd circuits are not under the influence of BTw"

I here Sky's LLU DLM suck's big time  :o

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP CF
« Reply #21 on: August 02, 2014, 02:48:21 PM »

Openreach DLM shouldn't react to a single power down even if its a power cut not safe shutdown.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #22 on: August 02, 2014, 06:05:38 PM »

Indeed. It is not so much of the power down (by whatever means) that concerns me but the uncertainty of what happens when the power is restored. It is quite possible for the supply to come back up to its (almost) normal voltage and then be lost again, only to be restored (say) two minutes later.

With a VDSL2 service I would always advise a controlled power down of the modem by the end-user and, if in the case of engineering work on the public mains supply, only to power up the modem once: (1) a minimum of 30 minutes has passed since the controlled power down (2) the public mains supply is observed to be in a stable state.

(On the very rare occasions when I have experienced a planned outage of the public mains supply, I have powered down everything a few minutes before the planned start time and have just left one light in a switched-on state, to act as a tell-tale of the status of the supply.)

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #23 on: August 02, 2014, 07:53:57 PM »

Openreach DLM shouldn't react to a single power down even if its a power cut not safe shutdown.

Just one power outage can effect the users stats CHRY have had plenty of abrupt power outages over 2 years with VDSL2 active and with the stats also running could see the negative result.

I used to just find the torch and find the offending equipment which caused the trip switch to activate and isolate it then flick the trip into the on position that would have taken less than 7 minutes and hey ho the VDSL2 stats have been hit hard.

What I do now is to remove the 12V power plug from VDSL2 modem and flick the trip and wait 30 minutes before inserting the 12V power plug back into VDSL2 modem and stats have not been effected.

So in theory you could turn off the fibre modem 48 times in a 24 hour period as long as you wait 30mins before powering it up and the DLM will be none the wiser.

PS I am not going to test my above theory as do like a good nights sleep  ;D
« Last Edit: August 02, 2014, 07:59:39 PM by NewtronStar »
Pages: 1 [2]

anything