Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Problems with 7800 and ECI modem ?  (Read 2258 times)

tommy45

• Reg Member
Problems with 7800 and ECI modem ?
« on: May 14, 2014, 02:30:45 PM »

Hi, I'm trying to  find out why when using a Billion 7800 router using it's EWAN port to connect to the ECT modem, why the throughput  pauses & resumes, This is most noticeable when downloading a file  using only one thread, Where as if using say 6 threads to the same server, any one or 2 of them  will pause at a time  i have observed this odd activity using the network tab on win task man, and in my security programs firewall,
Things i have tried to resolve this issue are using a different pc with a different o/s  witch when plugged into the router showed the same issue, but didn't when it was connected directly to the eci modem. 
I have since RMA'd the router, the replacement  that was tested  by billion prior to dispatching it, is doing the same thing, i have swapped the cable from pc to router,  rolled back the lan network driver , tried changing some of its setting such as recv and send buffers flow control, ect all make no of little difference ,  i'm really running out of ideas ,  is there anything that i can  do to help someone find out what is causing this ? such as  wireshark log, ect?  Which has got me thinking that it maybe some type of conflict going on between the eci modem and billion 7800 , is this possible?

Does some further testing using a different machine, and the pausing is still there, there has to be something conflicting, eci,billion7800
« Last Edit: May 14, 2014, 06:14:35 PM by tommy45 »

tommy45

• Reg Member
Re: Problems with 7800 and ECI modem ?
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2014, 02:50:43 PM »

Well i swapped modems now using a HG612  and the single threaded pausing is still happening,  could it be that the billion can't handle the data flow?
« Last Edit: May 30, 2014, 07:59:08 PM by tommy45 »

PhilipD

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2014, 11:32:14 AM »

Hi

Which Billion 7800 is it?  If it is the older version 7800N or similar it can't not cope with the throughput of FTTC and caps out at around 40Mbps, so that might explain the issues.

The newer 7800DX's can cope with with around 400Mbps throughput so should be fairly future proofed.

Regards

Phil

tommy45

• Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2014, 12:17:11 PM »

It is the 7800 wired router,Billion support  demonstrated that it does support FTTC speeds , it's ewan port is rated at 100mbps, and the max average during testing  was in excess of 80mbps, As said the billion uk tech support  invited me to remote into one of their test machines  and a test file was downloaded single threaded, and did not show the same(pausing) issue, the replacement  router that they sent me was tested by the support staff before shipping it

It's certainly a odd issue, modem & router  have been changed , and i have tested using a different pc  with the same results when using the router,  it may be a result of how i have it configured, but the question is what setting could be causing it,
I use a static ip on my pc  the DCHP  is disabled on the router . ?

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2014, 10:07:40 PM »

It is the 7800 wired router,Billion support  demonstrated that it does support FTTC speeds , it's ewan port is rated at 100mbps

What no Gigabit port even my HH3 has one of those and 3 100mbps Lan ports and a Wan Port, I would look to see if there is a Firmware update for the 7800 Billion  ;)
« Last Edit: June 19, 2014, 10:11:17 PM by NewtronStar »

anything