Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: QLN: a question  (Read 5460 times)

renluop

• Kitizen
QLN: a question
« on: May 11, 2014, 01:39:38 PM »

I would like to ask something from my ignorance box. ::) ;D

I had a day recently where CRC errors' averages went through the roof @ 3600/ min with no effect on sync.
See atts.

Can QLN data or graphs give any clue as to why such an event has occurred? What else is QLN useful for?

The 582N does not give such data, so what would be a good step up

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: QLN: a question
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2014, 03:01:23 PM »

QLN (quiet line noise) is a measure of the background noise on the line. It can only be measured at the time of establishing the connection, before sync is obtained. After that, the values reported by the modem don't change until a resync or reboot occurs. So it wouldn't be any help in the circumstances you described, which were a temporary large increase in interference which didn't cause a resync.

If you want to get a modem/router which provides more comprehensive monitoring data than the TG582N, then the D-Link DSL-2740B is a good one at a reasonable price. Or you could spend a LOT more and get a Billion 7800DXL. Those are just my suggestions, I'm sure there are others.
  Eric

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2014, 08:02:43 PM »

Thanks for info! :)
I don't think I'll be getting FTTC soon, unless the premium over ADSL reduces, so maybe the DXL would be overkill. :D. Could the Billion 7700/7800N be more in my league and suitably good for my connection?

As it happens Fibre is out ATM, as the cab is full and awaiting additional card(s). I can imagine that there must be crosstalk aplenty and at best my forecast is 38MB/sec.

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2014, 09:04:38 PM »

Still, 38Meg is a helluva lot quicker than 7.7meg. The fact that the original FTTC availability has been saturated, should highlight the superiority of the product.

Get signed up Ren, you wont regret it.  ;D ;D

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2014, 09:39:42 PM »

Yes, but the goal posts have been moved from the original ~27MB/sec, which incidentally seems to near the  harmonic mean of best and worst estimates for clear and impacted lines. Hmmm. Just me, but I tend to be a little skepticla
on best figs. ;D

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2014, 10:45:42 PM »

Could the Billion 7700/7800N be more in my league and suitably good for my connection?

I don't know anything about the 7700N. The 7800N is a popular choice at the higher price end of the market, but personally I prefer the D-Link mentioned above (and it's a lot cheaper).
  Eric

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2014, 08:02:03 AM »

Good morning, Eric! And to all others too! :)

Just been checking on the D-Link and it seems it not listed by D-Link and sellers like Amazon list only used on Marketplace. What else Broadcom based might be recommended  by your self or anyone else here?

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2014, 08:27:06 AM »

It seems that there are now very few Broadcom based ADSL routers at the lower end of the price range. There's the TP-Link TD-W8960 which seems to get generally good reviews, but I've no personal experience of it. And then there's the Billion 7800N at ~£100. Other than that, I can only refer you to http://www.s446074245.websitehome.co.uk/routers.html and suggest you look at those with "Yes" in the confirmed column (but don't forget to check the notes).
  Eric

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2014, 09:07:16 AM »

Tahnks for the reminder of that list. I take it all would provide QLN?

• Reg Member
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2014, 10:01:36 AM »

The td 8960 is a good router, but doesn't display upstream snr, the only thing that bugs me. You'd also be able to see which tones are affecting bringing your snr down. :)

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2014, 10:08:09 AM »

I take it all would provide QLN?

Yes, it's a normal part of the Broadcom CLI (but not available in Technicolor routers or the models which have other chipsets but mimic the Broadcom CLI).
  Eric

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2014, 03:51:23 PM »

Thank you. :)

I see Netgears have to be in debug mode. Does that mode have to be set each time recording is started, how fiddly is it?

konrado5

• Reg Member
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2014, 04:07:12 PM »

Quote from: Loading
The td 8960 is a good router, but doesn't display upstream snr, the only thing that bugs me
D-Link DSL-2740B also doesn't display upstream SNR on particular tones. I think it is result of the case that DSLAM doesn't send to router information about upstream SNR. Upstream SNR can be measured only by CO.

Best regards
konrado5

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2014, 04:17:11 PM »

I see Netgears have to be in debug mode. Does that mode have to be set each time recording is started, how fiddly is it?
It used to be fairly easy to put Netgear routers into debug mode - you just had to point your browser at a special hidden page, after which telnet access was possible until the router was rebooted. But more recent models employ a much more complicated method which uses an enabling program plus a bit of detective work to find a code to enter. This also remains enabled until the router is rebooted.

My opinion on modern Netgear routers: they're very glossy.
  Eric

• Reg Member
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2014, 04:23:23 PM »

Quote from: Loading
The td 8960 is a good router, but doesn't display upstream snr, the only thing that bugs me
D-Link DSL-2740B also doesn't display upstream SNR on particular tones. I think it is result of the case that DSLAM doesn't send to router information about upstream SNR. Upstream SNR can be measured only by CO.

Best regards
konrado5
The td 8960 doesn't display snr on any upstream tone.
Pages: [1] 2

anything