Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Warning Homeplugs Interfere with the Modem  (Read 14758 times)

broadstairs

• Kitizen
Re: Warning Homeplugs Interfere with the Modem
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2014, 10:56:04 PM »

It is all very well saying throw away homeplugs and install cat5 or 6 but not everyone has that capability. There is no way my wife would allow me to cable up the house with cat5 and even if she did the cables would all have to run round the outside of the property with holes through walls to provide access indoors. Sometimes you just have to live with what is permissible.

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2014, 01:12:45 AM »

It is all very well saying throw away homeplugs and install cat5 or 6 but not everyone has that capability. There is no way my wife would allow me to cable up the house with cat5 and even if she did the cables would all have to run round the outside of the property with holes through walls to provide access indoors. Sometimes you just have to live with what is permissible.

Stuart

I know in the same position as you, imagine a cat5 or 6 cable from Smart TV on the floor going through the living room into the hall way and zig zagging it's way into PC room were the HG612 and Modem resides someone going to trip over it and take me to the small claims court.

Its a big DIY job to track cat5/6 cable up into roof space and track it back down to router and I live in a bungalow it's an even bigger job if live in a two story house, so yes the Homeplugs is the easiest route then wireless but that has a downside (signal strength) so may be those wireless light bulbs have a place in the home network  (Li-Fi) :-\
« Last Edit: May 13, 2014, 01:15:28 AM by NewtronStar »

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2014, 01:14:35 AM »

. . . and I am ready to receive the BT80 RF3 and install so it looks like i'll have to postpone that DIY job until a later date.

Or could it be the ideal time?  :-\  At the end of a day's usage of your broadband service, power down the router, power down the modem and disconnect it from the line. Put on you Openreach junior technician's hard-hat and insert the RF3 into the circuit. Fit the Mk 2 SSFP. Check your wiring by means of a telephone, using QLT and ring-back. Leave the circuit in that state over-night. Next morning reconnect the modem, power it up, wait for it to synchronise, start DSLstats, power up the router . . . etc.  ;)
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2014, 01:21:36 AM »

. . . and I am ready to receive the BT80 RF3 and install so it looks like i'll have to postpone that DIY job until a later date.

Or could it be the ideal time?  :-\  At the end of a day's usage of your broadband service, power down the router, power down the modem and disconnect it from the line. Put on you Openreach junior technician's hard-hat and insert the RF3 into the circuit. Fit the Mk 2 SSFP. Check your wiring by means of a telephone, using QLT and ring-back. Leave the circuit in that state over-night. Next morning reconnect the modem, power it up, wait for it to synchronise, start DSLstats, power up the router . . . etc.  ;)

;D Yes BC would love to do that, but unfortunately there are other humans in the premises that would object to your idea, only got a small window to install & test before going live  :blush:

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2014, 01:26:45 AM »

Ah the Senior Management (a.k.a. SWMBO) effect.  :-X
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2014, 01:38:04 AM »

Ah the Senior Management (a.k.a. SWMBO) effect.  :-X

Yeap it's a facebook thing, I'll never undertand the attraction of social media site's, just whish they could use the phone after 7pm like the old days  ::)

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • AAISP CF
« Reply #21 on: May 13, 2014, 11:48:49 AM »

Stuart

wireless has hit the point its "good enough" for mainstream use, AC is faster than most homeplugs out there, and N is good enough for things like super hd netflix (I know as I watch netflix on my wii-u which is N 2.4ghz single band in a congested area).

In terms of wiring where there is a will there is a way, in one of my old places to live back in 2000 when wireless was in its infancy and no such thing as homeplugs we drilled holes in the wall and had cables going down side of house, wasnt a big deal, probably 1-2 hours work.  There is also the option of putting under carpets etc.

Whilst I acccept there may be certian homeplugs and certian situations they work ok, the problem is a significant amount dont, and unless everyone checks (which I doubt they do) then these will be a cause of interference.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • AAISP CF
« Reply #22 on: May 13, 2014, 11:54:24 AM »

Stuart

I know in the same position as you, imagine a cat5 or 6 cable from Smart TV on the floor going through the living room into the hall way and zig zagging it's way into PC room were the HG612 and Modem resides someone going to trip over it and take me to the small claims court.

Its a big DIY job to track cat5/6 cable up into roof space and track it back down to router and I live in a bungalow it's an even bigger job if live in a two story house, so yes the Homeplugs is the easiest route then wireless but that has a downside (signal strength) so may be those wireless light bulbs have a place in the home network  (Li-Fi) :-\

I would say now days a hallway is a bad place for a master socket, the socket ideally should be placed near where your internet devices are, so in my view either bedroom/office (where PC may be) or living room.  If you had in living room then the router would be there also and a ethernet cable would be perhaps just behind some furniture and bam its at the back of your tv/pvr/console etc.

any luck with your tv yet?  I guess you having to buy an officially approved wifi device for it right?

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #23 on: May 13, 2014, 02:50:58 PM »

One thing I have found with most wi-fi routers I have used is they dont work well generally when sited upstairs in a house if you are trying to connect downstairs. There is nothing special about my house in terms of floors, just joists and floorboards with plasterboard downstairs which is not foil backed. The most reliable wi-fi connection I get all over the house is when an access point is downstairs, works well both downstairs and upstairs. So I think the aerials may well be designed to propagate upwards most efficiently. My main socket is sited upstairs in a bedroom which is where it was originally when we moved in, hence the need to extend a connection downstairs for some kind of access point. In hind site I wish I had gotten the main socket moved downstairs when it was last upgraded but that was before we used wi-fi in the home at all.

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

Ragnarok

« Reply #24 on: May 13, 2014, 05:45:17 PM »

I made sure new 3 cat6 wires were in place before we got our kitchen done which are now hidden behind plaster and coving. :) if any more ports are needed a switch(s) can be added in both major rooms near where the devices would be located

I have a 15m cat6 cable between master socket and the BT modem downstairs to the ideal spot for the wireless access point/router which radiates best round the house where is used most. and a short cat6 from there to a 16 port switch gb switch is located on the AV entertainment room.

That said even my now aging DDWRT'd Dlink DIR-825's 5ghz signal radiates  enough throughout the house from near the center of the upstairs to give at least 100Mbps lan access. most area's get nearer 200Mbps. Hopefully the Gb wan port might be useful someday.

Hope plug/powerline ethernet dirty words that are banned in this house!!!  8)  ;D

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • AAISP CF
« Reply #25 on: May 13, 2014, 06:47:47 PM »

nice work Ragnarok, thats the best way, wire the place up when refurbishment work is done.

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #26 on: May 13, 2014, 07:08:03 PM »

any luck with your tv yet?  I guess you having to buy an officially approved wifi device for it right?

What I have done is use the Hudl tablet via HDMI to the new TV with bluetooth mouse and keyboard now the TV is even more Smart  :D.

Will not be diving in to purchase Toshiba's Dongle just yet and that reminds me to take back the cheap BT dongle 300 to PC world for a refund :blush:
Pages: 1 [2]

anything