Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Be aware and tell all you know - SCAM phone call  (Read 3895 times)

Berrick

• Reg Member
Be aware and tell all you know - SCAM phone call
« on: November 15, 2013, 05:08:42 PM »

The fraudsters are making the telephone rounds again!

Same basic scam just tweaked slightly. Below is a blog I wrote when they were claiming to be from Microsoft.

From the panicked call I received today they are now claiming to be from Yahoo security department. I can't say the phone numbers in this blog are still correct but they were at the time. When they phone they will also have personal information about you or other family members based on what I was told by. The fraudster also claimed that in the early hours this morning someone from Nigeria had accessed their computer.

How it works
You receive a call from a anonymous caller claiming that they either work for Microsoft or represent Microsoft. It can in fact be any company name. Then they gain your trust by talking you through checking some folders and files. They’ll ask you questions which when you answer they will tell you “this is not correct” and you should really allow them to talk you through the process of letting them gain access to your computer remotely to carry out checks and show you what is “wrong” and fix the problem. If you agree they will talk you through downloading and installing Teamviewer. They may ask you to look through your computer and read out some numbers etc. Once they have Teamviewer installed they will take control and go through your computers event log and show you ALL the errors and warnings it contains, claiming they are a result of being hacked. Just to put those who have never really delved into the event logs before at ease it is perfectly normal to see errors and warnings in the log files. They may even point out a particular file, csrss.exe, in this case was to blame and was a virus. In actuallity this is a critical system file so the fraudsters know it will be listed in the place the tell you or show you. All this is to gain your trust. Once they are happy they have gained your trust they hit you with the sting.

The Sting
Once they feel they have you hooked they then offer to fix this "problem" for you. Now this is where the phone call turns nasty as the call is all about money and stealing your personal details. Generally they will do one of several things
•   Take you to a website and ask for payment for software/support.
•   Get you to go to a website and download some free software that will then fix it.
•   Ask for payment in return for their help to remove the "problems”

Please remember this is all about getting your card detials

What to do
Make a list of these numbers associated with this scam and ignore them if you receive a call from one. If you have the facility to block them, DO.

If you answer one of these calls and get caught off guard don’t do as they ask, DONT allow them access to your computer, don’t give out any information, hangup immediately.

If you are still unsure whether they may have access to your personal details DON'T panic DON'T go online and change login details but DO phone any organizations such as banks and credit card companies and change this information.  Get your computer checked by a good computer shop or IT guy.

Remember
Microsoft never makes unsolicited support or security phone calls
« Last Edit: November 15, 2013, 05:15:14 PM by Berrick »
Growing old is mandatory; Growing up is optional

tonyappuk

• Reg Member
Re: Be aware and tell all you know - SCAM phone call
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2013, 05:45:29 PM »

If a caller says "   and how are you, today, Mr.xxxxx  " when you first answer it's usually time to hang up!
Tony

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2013, 06:02:39 PM »

Just tell them you are a Linux user,that usually stops them in their tracks  ;D

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2013, 06:59:17 PM »

I have a variety of techniques.

The one I am particularly fond of using is to reply: "Computer? What computer? I have no idea what you are talking about. I thought you said you were a window cleaner!"  :angel:
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2013, 08:05:54 PM »

My reaction to all of these callers, and the same to PPI scams and others, is to waste as much of their time as possible.   Just hanging up is exactly what they want, so they can move on to the next sucker.   Instead, ask questions... ask them to 'say that again', ask them to 'talk more slowly', tell them to hang on while you answer the door.  Tell them you don't speak English and ask them to talk in various random languages, then explain you've only just started learning, and then try a new one.

You'd be surprised how long you can keep them occupied, and wasting their time Will destroy their business model. ;)

The real satisfaction, which I have achieved a number of times from PPI 'helplines', is to be sworn at as the caller twigs they've been suckered.  Yeah, result! :D

PS:  re PPI calls, you do have to press '5'.   Don't worry, contrary to urbany myth it won't cost you a penny on a BT landline, and you really can have an awful lot of fun.  :)
« Last Edit: November 15, 2013, 08:28:22 PM by sevenlayermuddle »

GigabitEthernet

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2013, 08:23:56 PM »

'Now Sir, please click the start button.' I am afraid I can't, as I own a Mac!

Berrick

• Reg Member
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2013, 08:17:14 AM »

I usually just answer and leave the call active whilst getting on with something else but I think this guy has the best idea.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YvJQxgtJW94

Listen to the end I think its worth it !
Growing old is mandatory; Growing up is optional

GigabitEthernet

• Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2013, 04:58:47 PM »

I usually just answer and leave the call active whilst getting on with something else but I think this guy has the best idea.

BRILLIANT!

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2013, 08:10:15 PM »

BRILLIANT!

Yes, Brilliant.     I've seen that link posted before but always worth another visit, how I wish I had the acting skills to do that.   

Anybody who's not heard it... click that link now!    :lol:

anything