Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Is there a better master socket I can use?  (Read 5343 times)

rcflyers

• Just arrived
Is there a better master socket I can use?
« on: November 06, 2013, 06:29:08 PM »

I currently have an BT LJU3/1A master socket where the BT line enters my house. 
There are 2 incoming wires (black and green) connected to terminals 2 and 5. 
Also connected to terminals 2 and 5 are 2 wires that form an extension cable that goes upstairs where my router is located. 
I disconnected the ring wires on the extension about 1 year ago. 
There is a cordless phone and a burglar alarm system plugged into the front of the master socket with a plug in type microfilter.
Upstairs I have another microfilter plugged into the extension socket and the router and a normal corded phone plugged into that.

My question is:  Is there a different master socket that can be fitted that would give me even a small broadband speed increase (currently around 4Mb)

I did try plugging the router into the master socket and that gave a small increase in speed.

I have the option to go fibre broadband if required but 4Mb is ok at the moment.

Thanks for any replies.

GigabitEthernet

• Kitizen
Is there a better master socket I can use?
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2013, 11:29:21 PM »

Hi and welcome to the Kitz Forum,

From what I understand, you have a master socket that looks like this:

Unfortunately, you yourself cannot fit a 'faceplate' such as BT Openreach's VDSL faceplate (also works with ADSL) because your socket is not a split type. This faceplate could perhaps improve your speed further. From what I understand, your ring wire (terminal 3) is already disconnected, so that won't be detracting from your speed, but other 'gremlins' may be, which the VDSL filter will be better at filtering out than your current socket/faceplate.

I believe that it is a chargeable install to get BT Openreach to come out and replace that master socket with a newer 'NTE-5' socket. However, if you ever have a fault, Openreach should fit one as a matter of course. Then, you could fit a VDSL faceplate yourself (Openreach will likely fit one anyway).

However, whether this will actually help, is another question. A copy of your router's line stats would be useful to see if any improvement is possible, along with your current ISP and the package you subscribe to (i.e. up to 20Mb, up to 8Mb, etc.)

P.S: Sorry for the delay in somebody relying to your post, this is an unusual occurrence.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2013, 12:01:31 AM by AlecR »

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: Is there a better master socket I can use?
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2013, 12:24:22 AM »

Oh dear, I don't know how your thread has been missed.  :(  Very sorry about that. Normally someone would make an initial response within 24 hours.

As Alec has already mentioned, due to the fact that you have an existing demarcation point, the LJU3, it would be a chargeable service to have it replaced / upgraded to an NTE5/A by Openreach.

Obviously we do not suggest that you perform the task yourself but it has been know for persons to visit a certain on-line auction site and purchase an Openreach branded NTE5/A (also referred to as a Linebox) -- surprisingly they are quite easily obtained -- and with due care & attention, perform the upgrade themselves. One of the little things that might "give it away" as a non-Openreach performed upgrade can be failing to connect the wire that is the more negative of the pair (with respect to a good earth) to the terminal marked B and thus the other wire that is the less negative of the pair to the terminal marked A.

Once there is an NTE5/A fitted as the NTP at your premises, all sockets and wiring from that point "inwards" becomes your responsibility. Subsequent rationalisation of that could then produce an improvement. Certainly if a SSFP (a Service Specific Face Plate, also known as a centralised filter) was fitted at the NTE5/A and then the modem/router was either directly connected to the xDSL socket or from a dedicated xDSL extension socket, it would be an improvement upon your current set-up.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2013, 12:26:44 AM by burakkucat »
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

4candles

• Kitizen
  • Not young enough to know everything
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2013, 12:58:34 PM »

One of the little things that might "give it away" as a non-Openreach performed upgrade can be failing to connect the wire that is the more negative of the pair (with respect to a good earth) to the terminal marked B and thus the other wire that is the less negative of the pair to the terminal marked A.

I don't think that would prove, or even imply anything. Any subsequent work at a frame, cab, joint, block etc could reverse it, with no ill effects.

Certainly in my days with BT and its antecedents, polarity was never a major concern except on certain 'special' alarm type circuits.

No doubt Mr Sheep will be along soon to comment on the current situation.
To err is human - to purr feline
Zen FTTC 40/10 + Digital Voice   FRITZ!Box 7530

GigabitEthernet

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2013, 01:06:30 PM »

From experience, often Openreach engineers 'turn a blind eye' to these sorts of things. If it works, why should they care?

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2013, 01:40:47 PM »

One of the little things that might "give it away" as a non-Openreach performed upgrade can be failing to connect the wire that is the more negative of the pair (with respect to a good earth) to the terminal marked B and thus the other wire that is the less negative of the pair to the terminal marked A.

I don't think that would prove, or even imply anything. Any subsequent work at a frame, cab, joint, block etc could reverse it, with no ill effects.

Certainly in my days with BT and its antecedents, polarity was never a major concern except on certain 'special' alarm type circuits.

No doubt Mr Sheep will be along soon to comment on the current situation.

Exactly so, 4candles. The bog-standard telephone set-up is not polarity conscious (PC). I haven't had cause to check for polarity for some time now. As well as some 'Private Wire Circuits', there were quite a few business-systems back in the day that were PC, I think SPM (Subs Private Meters) were as well, from memory.
I also seem to recall, that an ongoing issue with an EU's 'Caller Display' unit was resolved by switching the wires around ?

So, although it may be good practice to wire in a PC way, for most circuits it doesn't make a difference.

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2013, 02:08:03 PM »

I have the option to go fibre broadband if required but 4Mb is ok at the moment.

Depending on what package your on and which ISP your with you may well be surprised at how little more, or possibly even less if currently with an expensive ISP going to fibre costs, and of course you'll get the filter updated to the latest type.

When I upgraded to fibre it cost me about £2 more a month, this includes the saving made by paying a years line rental in advance.

Plus Net currently have unlimited for £12.99 then £19.99 after 9 months, line rental is from £10.99. There budget essentials fibre is £15.99 a month + line rental.

Prices will vary depending on what market your exchange is classified as.

There may well be other cheaper alternatives as well, but of course it will mean a new contract whoever you took fibre with, so it might be worth looking into.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 550/52  ;D

anything