Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6

Author Topic: VDSL2 Retrain Reason 8000  (Read 35704 times)

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
Re: VDSL2 Retrain Reason 8000
« Reply #60 on: September 21, 2013, 01:31:58 PM »

Thanks for that.

I can now see where the get_data() function fails.

I have created another debugging version that will hopefully deal with that.

Basically, as it seems that another attempt to obtain the data after a couple of seconds pause is successful, I have built in a 2 second pause on failure before the program attempts to obtain the data again.

I'm afraid I have no idea why it occasionally fails on your system, other than the modem may be very busy doing something else at the time, but hopefully this version will deal with it.

If not, we could try a slightly longer pause or another retry or two to see if that resolves the issue.

I've asked ColinS to try it out on his system & if everything seems O.K. I'll attach it for you to try out at your end.

Neither ColinS or I suffer from this failure to obtain the data, so we are unable to actually test if this version actually deals with the issue adequately.

Hopefully, your feedback will confirm one way or the other.

Once everything is confirmed as O.K., I'll get rid of the various debugging files, just leaving the program to deal with any issues quietly.

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #61 on: September 21, 2013, 04:03:17 PM »

O.K. Here's the latest version that will (hopefully) deal with whatever is causing the get_data() function to fail.

If you could test it & post the "GET_DATA_FAIL.TXT" file from the Scripts folder & the "ERROR.LOG_file_ERROR.TXT" from the Ongoing_Stats folder along with a relevant extract from modem_stats.log, we should be able to see if the workaround is effective or not.
If not, I could try increasing the pause when the function occasionally fails or increase the number of retries.

For curiosity, which version of the HG612 are you using, is it still using the original BLOB & have you made any changes to the default unlocked settings at all?

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #62 on: September 21, 2013, 05:33:34 PM »

Cheers BE1

stopped the shedule and replaced the HG612_stats.exe file you attached and started up the schedule again from within the Hg612 settings editor and let it run and it's coming up with an error see pic below.

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #63 on: September 21, 2013, 06:35:48 PM »

Bare with me BE ;)

I will post the stuff you require soon just want the stats to build up after installing the new HG612_stats file but it does look promising, it's just this error i now get every 5 to 10 minutes
and you can look at the event below.
I have not changed any settings on the HG612

ColinS

• Reg Member
« Reply #64 on: September 21, 2013, 07:00:51 PM »

Hi NS,

I seem to remember you saying that you don't use a password on the account that was needed to set up the task?  Sorry if I have that wrong.  However, I wondered if perhaps this problem you're having could have anything to do with Vista's UAC?  If you don't need it, have you turned it off?  Either way, perhaps you could toggle it, and see if it gets round the exception or not.

Control Panel > User Accounts > Turn UAC On or OFF.

Just something to eliminate while we wait for BE. :)

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #65 on: September 21, 2013, 07:28:06 PM »

here are the files you require and maybe not as good as i first thought, and still those popups saying HG612_stats has failed but just hit the X button and it go's away.

PS I don't want to take up to much of your time BE1  :-[

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #66 on: September 21, 2013, 07:29:30 PM »

Hi NS,

I seem to remember you saying that you don't use a password on the account that was needed to set up the task?  Sorry if I have that wrong.  However, I wondered if perhaps this problem you're having could have anything to do with Vista's UAC?  If you don't need it, have you turned it off?  Either way, perhaps you could toggle it, and see if it gets round the exception or not.

Will do that ColinS

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #67 on: September 21, 2013, 08:01:59 PM »

Hi NS,

Will do that ColinS

Sorry CS UAC turned off and still the HG612_stats program comes up with failure

I am going to boot to Win 8.1 and re-install r1.1 just for testing but all of my post will be Vista SP2 findings and error logs

Cheers

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #68 on: September 21, 2013, 09:15:59 PM »

Sorry to have to post early at this stage and I know I said it will be only Vista SP2 but this time Win 8.1 is working fine with the original r1.1 the Modem_stats logs are looking good and no missing samples and no exceptions popping up  ;D

But with only 36 Mins of data I can see it's working fine under Windows 8.1  ;D
so my conclusion is Vista is the problem here and not the Stats Software, I'll just have to change the boot option on PC to make Windows 8.1 as the default OS

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #69 on: September 21, 2013, 09:23:40 PM »

Would you mind trying this version?

The pause before retrying to obtain the data is now 15 seconds.

Going off your previous log files when resyncs were incorrectly reported (causing HG612_current_stats.exe to obtain the data & generate logs/graphs), there didn't appear to be a problem when issuing the xdslcmd info --stats command & obtaining the data via the get_data() function.

FWIW, I am now running the program as per usual via my Windows 7 PC wired into the router.
I am also running it staggered by 30 seconds on Mrs. Eagle's Vista Home Basic SP2 laptop - wireless connection to the router.

Both versions have been running for around 45 minutes without any issues.

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #70 on: September 21, 2013, 09:31:10 PM »

Going off your previous log files when resyncs were incorrectly reported (causing HG612_current_stats.exe to obtain the data & generate logs/graphs), there didn't appear to be a problem when issuing the xdslcmd info --stats command & obtaining the data via the get_data() function.

FWIW, I am now running the program as per usual via my Windows 7 PC wired into the router.
I am also running it staggered by 30 seconds on Mrs. Eagle's Vista Home Basic SP2 laptop - wireless connection to the router.

No problems I'll have to reboot to Vista and test this version will be back soon !

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #71 on: September 21, 2013, 10:19:06 PM »

No problems I'll have to reboot to Vista and test this version will be back soon !

Sorry BE1 booted back into Vista and replaced Hg612_stats file and still the same issue, I use Vista Home premium but I doubt there is much difference between Basic & Premium
it's looking like it's my Install of Vista that is causing this issue as Windows 8.1 looks good.

So it looks like a Backup of Vista files or full re-install of Vista but TBH I think i'll ditch it and use Windows 8 from now on  :ouch:

also I will need to go back to original r1.1 Modem_stats file on Vista as the testing one's keep comeing up on the screen as HG612 Stats failure every so often.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2013, 11:05:14 PM by NewtronStar »

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #72 on: September 23, 2013, 07:11:21 AM »

Sorry BE1 booted back into Vista and replaced Hg612_stats file and still the same issue, I use Vista Home premium but I doubt there is much difference between Basic & Premium
it's looking like it's my Install of Vista that is causing this issue as Windows 8.1 looks good.

I kept the Vista version running & it eventually failed a couple of times.
I saw the same issue as you, but I was at least then able to actually see what was wrong with the code & I am now fairly confident that I have fixed it to deal with this particular issue.

I have attached another version that ran overnight & dealt with each failure properly.

Would you mind a final test with this version?
The pause before retrying is now just 2 seconds, which worked every time at this end.

The relevant files to post are "GET_DATA_FAIL.TXT" from the Scripts folder & "ERROR.LOG_file_ERROR.TXT" from the Ongoing_Stats folder.

It would also be handy if you could post a relevant section from "modem_stats.log" - to cross-reference where any data is still missing and/or to confirm that the bug fix is actually working as intended.

Hopefully, this will now be the last time that testing is needed before I remove the need for the various detailed (& quite large) debugging logs.

« Last Edit: September 23, 2013, 07:23:48 AM by Bald_Eagle1 »

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #73 on: September 23, 2013, 12:40:14 PM »

I kept the Vista version running & it eventually failed a couple of times.
I saw the same issue as you, but I was at least then able to actually see what was wrong with the code & I am now fairly confident that I have fixed it to deal with this particular issue.

I have attached another version that ran overnight & dealt with each failure properly.

Would you mind a final test with this version?
The pause before retrying is now just 2 seconds, which worked every time at this end.

Hopefully, this will now be the last time that testing is needed before I remove the need for the various detailed (& quite large) debugging logs.

Bald_Eagle I think you have cracked it  :clap:, because it's not missing any samples (minutes) in the modem_stats log and have not seen any failure popups.

Going to let this run for a few hours and post the files you require this evening
and many thanks.

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #74 on: September 23, 2013, 01:04:04 PM »

Bald_Eagle I think you have cracked it  :clap:, because it's not missing any samples (minutes) in the modem_stats log and have not seen any failure popups.

Here's  :fingers:

Going to let this run for a few hours and post the files you require this evening
and many thanks.

And thank you also for persevering with all the testing & posting logs etc.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6

anything