Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: ADSL telephopny Wiring + Equipment  (Read 2643 times)

briank

• Just arrived
ADSL telephopny Wiring + Equipment
« on: January 22, 2013, 02:32:56 PM »

Hi, I have just joined the forum, and this is my first question.
I have a problem with ADSL speed, having had connection problems, which seem now to have stabilised. Download speed at the test socket is 3750, or thereabouts, but at the PC in the office it is 1600. This is at the end of a wired in extension, being approx 8 metres from the master socket. Another telephone extension is also wired in along the way.
Having read all the posts and replies, I trust that I have understood a solution, in that I should install a DSL V1,0 SSFP at the master socket, and use an Openreach DSL extension kit up to the office. The master socket is in our kitchen, daft place to put it, as it is totally inconvenient. Anyway I can take the new extension from there to the office quite easily.
The question I then have, is, am I going to get any benifit speed wise??? Or should I do something else ??
Brian.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: ADSL telephopny Wiring + Equipment
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2013, 03:17:23 PM »

Hi and welcome.

Your proposed solution is a good one, although it would probably be cheaper to wire up your own DSL extension to the A and B terminals in the new faceplate, than to buy the extension kit.

Judging by the figures you quote, you can expect to get similar speeds from the new extension to what you currently can get when using the test socket. You quote download speeds, which can vary for other external reasons, so to be sure you should check the router's connection speed when plugged into the two different locations. If this reflect the same sort of difference as you've seen with the download speeds, then I would go ahead with the new extension.
  Eric

briank

• Just arrived
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2013, 03:51:20 PM »

Thanks very much for that, I had hoped that the speed would be somewhat similar when the extension was installed.
Brian

Ezzer

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2013, 04:00:25 PM »

Using the SSFP with a data extention kit will isolate the existing extention wiring from the DSL signal.

The existing extentions will continue to work for normal telephony (voice telephony only, no DSL to those sockets).

If you are ok with fitting a new data extention kit to where you need the router this should give a similar performance to plugging straight into the test socket.

I say should. very occasionaly even this cable can pick something up causing a drop in performance. It's unusual. So What I always did before fitting the new extention cable perminantly is to run it along the proposed route and test it. Then go through the polava of perminantly securing the cable and data extention socket. You don't want to go to all this trouble and find for some reason you still get a drop in performance. The data extention kit is far less suseptable to issues but it can occasionaly pick up something.

In the mean time on your existing wiring, disconnect the bell wire (In No. 3 connections) make sure there are not long 'tails' (that is a length of wire extending beyond the termination by more than 3mm) avoid spare wiring being tidyed in nice neat coils. squash any coils so surplus wires run back & forth not as neat circles. If any spare wiring is wound around the cable. It's neat but can also cause issues. Unwind it and again fold the surplus so it runs back & forth)

This might give you an improvement before doing the rest of the work for the short-mid term. If you do get an improvement then still fitting the ssfp would give you less suseptibility to potential future issues long term.

briank

• Just arrived
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2013, 06:29:01 PM »

Thanks for all the good advice. All present wiring has been thoroughly checked, and there are no coils etc. Being a radio amateur I am aware of the dangers of inducing inductance and stray pick ups from wires. Also I dont have the bell wire connected. I wish I had come across you all a month ago, it would have saved me alot of head scratching and frustration with the ISP. I feel sure that the new DSL SSFP and the cat5 extension cable will (help to) cure the problem.
I will put up a posting when I have completed the work to let you know the outcome.
Brian.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2013, 06:36:46 PM »

Good luck :)
  Eric